Recall in my old phone (non-smartphone), using the rapid charger in the vehicle over time ruined the battery to the point it would no longer hold the charger. Found out from Verizon they don't recommend using the rapid charger unless absolutely necessary. Is this true for smart phones like the Tour?
    09-09-09 03:24 PM
    i use mine all the time with no ill effect, but I do wait until the phone is drained all the way. there are plenty of debates to read over this topic on what a Lithium Ion Battery will and won't do. try a search and see what you think. worse case scenario you have to buy a new battery.
    09-09-09 03:28 PM
    It is a fact, and has been known for ages that a slow, deep, trickle charge is the best way to charge a battery. Slow charging will help the battery resist rapid depletion under load as well as prolong cycles. Rapid charging does ruin batteries, regardless of chemistry. It probably isn't harmful if you use a [rapid] car charger just to get you to your AC charger, but using it on a regular basis will destroy it.
    09-09-09 04:31 PM
    Is a rapid charger the same as a car charger? Never heard of a rapid charger.
    09-09-09 05:54 PM
    I would suspect that a car charger is a rapid charger because of the circumstances under which it is used. You can have an AC rapid charger, but most OEMs are standard 'trickle' chargers because of the cited phenomenon. I have seen on various websites whereby manufacturers offer rapid chargers over and above the standard charger.
    09-09-09 06:18 PM
    I usually wait til mine is almost dead to use the car charger if Im not home. Mine only seems to charge for about 15 minutes and then stops and doesnt charge. I have to do a battery pull in order for it to work again. i dont know if that the phone or the charger but i havent had time to make it to sprint yet to find out. doesnt really bother me that much since i rarely use it
    09-09-09 06:45 PM
    I keep my Tour plugged into the car charger during my entire morning and afternoon commute (1.25 hours). The battery stays charged and I am talking almost the entire time. I have done this with my last three Blackberry devices over the past 6 years and I have never prematurely killed a battery.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-09-09 07:36 PM
    Are all car chargers "rapid chargers"?
    09-09-09 11:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD