I would like to have a USB cable to charge my BB at work that wouldn't have data capacities. This may seem strange, but at work i don't have any outlets easily assessable although i do have many USB ports. So the question is how would i modify a USB cable to allow for charging, but not allow for data connection?
    06-29-09 09:10 PM
    If you have a USB cable for your BB then just plug it into an available USB port and only charge the phone during the time it's connected. There won't be any data transmission unless you initiate one, The phone will only charge as connected.
    06-29-09 09:21 PM
    This is true but the computer monitoring staff at work would be able to see a device attached to my computer witch is what I'm trying to avoid.
    06-29-09 09:29 PM
    Probably not going to happen like that. In order to USB charge, I thought you had to have DM installed on the PC?
    06-29-09 09:36 PM
    You can still USB charge without DM installed but you can also see the BB via Windows Explorer...if that was the OPs concern regarding IT. If not and you're concerned about them physically seeing it then maybe you should ask them if they're ok with you charging it that way.
    06-29-09 09:40 PM
    This is not true (just checked on my desktop with out dm installed) the bb will charge off any USB port. But the question remains how can you modify the cable so that the 5 volt power is all you get?
    06-29-09 09:42 PM
    If they were okay with me attaching my device to their network i wouldn't be finding a work around id just charge. The real issue is management in my building doesn't care its IT that causes the fuss.
    06-29-09 09:45 PM
    Just set your Enable Mass Storage Mode to Prompt or Off under Options, Media Card. When you connect your BB to the usb port, the PC will not show your BB unless you enable Mass Storage Mode.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-29-09 09:47 PM
    Maybe you should talk to your immediate supervisor and get his ok and if so then ask him to say something to who ever has an issue with it. Otherwise you might need to get more creative for a charging solution.
    06-29-09 09:49 PM
    Thank You exactly the fix I was looking for
    06-29-09 09:49 PM
    I'm on wap and can't see your device info. but perhaps you can use a charging dock instead.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-29-09 09:52 PM
    Thats also a very good idea if I charge using the charging tabs their is no chance of any data transfer
    06-29-09 09:54 PM
    I have exactly the same problem, guys. Thanks for sharing some nice heads up!

Ray Richards
    06-30-09 06:40 AM
    DUnno I have my phone set to prompt and XP still trys to add the device, which means IT will see the attempt though not beable to acess the device.

Windows Edplorer shows removable Drive E & removable Drive F even though they are not acessable.
    06-30-09 10:19 AM
    I accidentally bought a USB 1.0 cable for my Curve. It only charges the BB and doesnt show up as a device or in DM.

Might work for you if disabling Mass Storage Mode doesnt work.
    06-30-09 12:36 PM
    I'd get an extra AC charger and charging pod. Saves your USB port and makes a simple, easy to use solution. You literally just kinda toss your bb in the pod and it makes the connection without having to plug and unplug every time.
    06-30-09 12:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD