Hey I am new to this forum and to Blackberry in general. But I just have a quick question: Can I safely use the USB cable to charge my storm off of my work PC? It does not have any of the desktop software on it, I just want the power. I did it today and it seems to run slow when its plugged in. Can this harm the phone? Thanks for any input.
    07-21-09 04:37 PM
    No, it won't harm the phone, yes you can use it as a charger.
    07-21-09 04:39 PM
    It is a slower charge than you get from a wall charger.
    07-21-09 04:41 PM
    I must be doing something wrong then because when I plug my BB in at night using the USB cable it drains it by morning.
    07-21-09 05:10 PM
    This may be a dumb question, but are you leaving the pc/laptop on when the blackberry is connected via usb? I don't think the pc charges when its off.
    07-21-09 05:15 PM
    Also, you should make sure that you're plugging it into a powered USB port. Some computers (usually laptops) and hubs have USB ports that don't provide full power.
    07-21-09 05:27 PM
    You can charge it with the pc off as long as the powe supply is still on(the switch on the back)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-09 05:46 PM
    I must be doing something wrong then because when I plug my BB in at night using the USB cable it drains it by morning.
    As others have mentioned (but now in numbered list form!):

(1) Make sure the PC remains on all night. No power down, no hibernate, no standby mode.

(2) Make sure the USB port itself is a powered port. Powered USB ports are mostly standard now on all PCs, and even on some peripherals (like my monitor, which has a built-in powered USB hub), but occasionally you'll get PCs which have powered USB ports in the back but unpowered USB ports on the front panel, or if it's an older PC, unpowered USB ports all around.

(3) Following up on (2), if you're using a USB hub, make sure that the hub is a powered hub and not just a data hub.

(4) If you're using an aftermarket, third-party USB cable, make sure it's a charging and data cable, and not just a data cable.
    07-21-09 06:35 PM
    Mostly the USB port is not supporting power...did u check if it was ever charging when u connect to that port....
    07-21-09 07:15 PM
    I've noticed that some BB's like bold and curve and storm won't charge on a windows pc without desktop manager installed. A pearl however, will charge without this software. I think it has something to do with how much voltage the phone requires and how much windows puts out by default.

anyone else have similar findings?

also...why is it that usb takes longer to charge than a wall adapter? I haven't quite figured that one out yet. It's a large difference in speed.
    07-26-09 03:01 PM
    I've noticed that some BB's like bold and curve and storm won't charge on a windows pc without desktop manager installed. A pearl however, will charge without this software. I think it has something to do with how much voltage the phone requires and how much windows puts out by default.

anyone else have similar findings?

also...why is it that usb takes longer to charge than a wall adapter? I haven't quite figured that one out yet. It's a large difference in speed.
    USB output is 5V; there's nothing that DM does that can change this.

A wall charger charges faster that USB because wall chargers typically provide more current (700-800ish mA) than a PC's USB port (500mA).
    07-26-09 03:04 PM
    DM installs the drivers for the Blackberry in Windows XP. That may be different for Vista or Windows 7.

If you plug any BB into XP it comes up asking to install drivers. Those drivers come with Desktop Manager. If you don't install DM you actually get a message on curve phones that the voltage is not high enough. After DM is installed that goes away, so that leads me to believe in XP at the very least, needs the proper drivers installed for the phone to charge.
    07-26-09 03:09 PM
    DM installs the drivers for the Blackberry in Windows XP. That may be different for Vista or Windows 7.

If you plug any BB into XP it comes up asking to install drivers. Those drivers come with Desktop Manager. If you don't install DM you actually get a message on curve phones that the voltage is not high enough. After DM is installed that goes away, so that leads me to believe in XP at the very least, needs the proper drivers installed for the phone to charge.
    Hmm, then that's interesting. I've never charged my phone on a PC without DM, but I have charged it via powered USB hub.

Nevertheless the rate of charge difference between USB and wall charger is due to the current difference.
    07-26-09 03:59 PM
    Actually there are two amperage rates provided by the powered pc usb port. 100 mA and 500mA. The computer uses the 100mA current by default on phones. The charging driver provided by dm initiates a handshake between the phone and the computer and then ups the current to 500 mA. The storm engineering screen confirms this difference in charging rate.

07-26-09 05:17 PM
    How do I access the eng screen?

07-26-09 05:19 PM
    you must hold the back button down while tapping the upper left, upper right, upper left, then upper right corners of your screen. This brings you to the Help Me! Screen. From there you have to obtain a code in order to move into the engineering screen. I do not remember what website gives you the code. However if you search these forums for "engineering screen" you will find a post that details how to do it. A word of warning: you can seriously brick your phone messing around in this screen. I do not recommend you do this so I take no blame, but you asked. Have fun!

07-26-09 05:32 PM
    I'm on the help me screen and I don't see anything about charging as you mentioned.

Also...I don't know how I could mess up the phone here...there are no options to change

07-26-09 05:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD