I am attempting to charge my BB at work without the DM. It shows the red light which means it's on, but can't open it up to see anything. I tried a battery pull, but then I got a blank white screen with the hour glass, and it just hung there. Is it not compatible unless you have the Destop Manager?
    03-26-08 04:08 PM
    Not all USB ports have the juice to charge it, that's all.
    03-26-08 04:17 PM
    Is it not compatible unless you have the Destop Manager?
    Yes you must install DM
    03-26-08 04:34 PM
    I don't think so... That's how I charged mine for the first time... before I installed anything.
    03-26-08 04:36 PM
    I don't think so... That's how I charged mine for the first time... before I installed anything.

Weird...It would not charge on my work computer. I read here that DM must be installed...I installed DM and then it worked fine
    03-26-08 04:41 PM
    I don't know what the real correct answer is but mine will only charge on computers that I have the DM installed on.
    03-26-08 04:46 PM
    I have the i-go charger, which works great with my old cell phone, but when I went to get the adapting connection, which the guy in radio shack told me to get, it won't charge. I guess I am going back to sprint store to get another charger for my office. I-gos are cheap-*** things! I guess not enough juice!
    03-26-08 11:21 PM
    I don't know what the real correct answer is but mine will only charge on computers that I have the DM installed on.
    Same thing here.
    03-26-08 11:41 PM
    Clearly, there are vast differences in how these chargers "interface" with respective devices. There are probably signals that travel on the usb other than just power.

For instance, I've a Creative Zen Vision M mp3/video player. It generally charges fine on any xp2 computer (although, data can be more picky) but most ac-adapters will NOT work with it. Apparently, Creative created its ac charger to send some signal over the usb cable - if that signal is not there, the usb ac-charger will NOT charge the mp3 player. Some 3rd party chargers do work and provide what the player is looking for - most do not work.

RIM/BB has probably done something similar. I noticed that the other day. I tried using my Motorola S9 ac-usb charger - it did NOT work with the BB.
    03-27-08 09:34 PM
    I wasn't able to charge my BB on the USB port of my Windows XP computer until I installed the Blackberry drivers. After that, it charged ok.
    03-27-08 09:58 PM
    Thanks for all your input guys. I went and got the BB wall charger for my BB8830 and all is fine.
    03-28-08 05:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD