I recently purchased a "Sweettalker" dedicated Tour dashmount. I love it, it's great! It can be plugged into the DC power outlet (cigarette lighter), and I was just going to leave it plugged in and let it charge the Tour every time I insert it. Then, someone warned that doing that could potentially harm the battery: continuous full 12 volts going in as opposed to the OEM home charger at 5 volts. I've always assumed that there is some sort of charging manager in the device that tapers the input power down as the battery reaches full charge. This isn't a big deal, I just play it safe and unplug it when the Tour's charged. I think it'd be a good thing to get the right information on this, though; anyone with an answer?
    12-12-09 10:29 PM
    i believe that all blackberries have some mechanism or some sort of voltage regulator to prevent overcharging.. i don't think RIM would overlook something like that.
    12-13-09 08:01 AM
    Car chargers are regulated power supplies, usually at lower micro amperage than the wall chargers. I've had the appropriate car charger plugged in for extended lengths for the last year with no ill effects.

Although it had you concerned, it's the output current you would really be concerned with, not the input voltage.

Oh, and BlackBerrys stop charging when they reach max charge, but they can continue to run while hooked to power without harm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-13-09 08:48 AM
    That's what I thought. The charger came with the mount, and no doubt it's specific for BBs. BTW I recommend the "Sweettalker" mount. It's a quality product...some may consider it a little pricey, but it's worth it.
    12-13-09 12:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD