I thought this might be useful information for someone down the line cause I wish I had it yesterday....

I bought an extra charger for my tour yesterday from Tmobile store. I said let me get a good one cause the 5 dollar one from the corner store crapped out on me in 2 weeks.

So here I go, I buy the charger, the guy even tries it out in the store, good customer svc there, and it works. Woo Hoo, right, wrong. I carry an extra charger on me cause I do not work in an office so i never know when I will need to charge it.

Long story short, the charger works, if you are gonna charge a smaller phone like the pearl or the original curve, but not for the tour or storm, ect...The chargers for the tour must be at least 700 mah. It is usually written somewhere on the charger. THe one I bought was 500 mah, so it charged for 2 seconds, then crapped out.

Info for if you ever need it.
    12-16-09 12:08 PM
    I have been using my iphone AC-to-USB charger + a micro usb cable to charge my tour. In addition, I have a an old motorola Mini-USB charger with a Mini-to-Micro USB extension (pennies on fleabay) for emergencies. Both work great and provide adequate voltage.
    12-16-09 12:41 PM
    I used to use an iphone charger as a backup, but I gave that to someone who actually had an ipod that needed to be charged...LOL

Ahh flea bay....Good idea.
    12-16-09 12:47 PM
    Well if I knew yesterday what I know today, I would have saved some money. I went to staples today and picked up an original bb charger on sale for 12 bucks! And the regular price was 20 bucks.....go to staples for future reference.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-16-09 08:13 PM
    Well if I knew yesterday what I know today, I would have saved some money. I went to staples today and picked up an original bb charger on sale for 12 bucks! And the regular price was 20 bucks.....go to staples for future reference.

I find that you do well checking out the clearance tables at the box stores also...Found a BB cradle in BestBuy last weekend for 3.50.
    12-16-09 11:09 PM
    I love clearance items...

EDIT: I should delete this whole thread......Cause this flippin charger charged the storm, then my tour now. I don't understand why it does now but not the other day...

Oh yeah, I am having a sale on chargers....LOL
    12-17-09 12:57 PM
    thanks! wow good to know all that info
    12-18-09 02:13 PM
    I use the charger from my old EnV2 and it works flawlessly.

12-19-09 03:36 AM
    Will using a charger with a higher milliamp output rating damage the battery over time?
    12-19-09 03:57 AM
    Thanks for the info
    12-19-09 09:11 AM
    I had two of the cheapie chargers & they all dies in weeks, I will only use the BB chargers now.
    12-19-09 10:00 AM
    Will using a charger with a higher milliamp output rating damage the battery over time?
    No.

That rating is how many milliamperes the charger is capable of supplying. If the device doesn't need it, it doesn't consume it.

Think about your electrical distrubution panel in your home. Your standard circuit is 15 amperes. Does that mean if you plug a tv in on that circuit and it only needs 1 ampere it is going to blow up? Of course not.
    12-19-09 10:37 AM
    No.

That rating is how many milliamperes the charger is capable of supplying. If the device doesn't need it, it doesn't consume it.

Think about your electrical distrubution panel in your home. Your standard circuit is 15 amperes. Does that mean if you plug a tv in on that circuit and it only needs 1 ampere it is going to blow up? Of course not.
    I think the reason he was asking wAs to find out if it charged a little faster if you had a charger with a higher Ampere...
    12-19-09 11:09 AM
    I think the reason he was asking wAs to find out if it charged a little faster if you had a charger with a higher Ampere...
    I didn't gather that from his question at all. To answer YOUR question, the device will only use what it needs. It won't exhaust the battery any faster then using a computer to charge it.

12-19-09 11:40 AM
    I also bought one of those $5 chargers and it just crapped out on me, off Staples/Best Buy I will be going tomorrow.

12-20-09 06:16 PM
    I just purchased the BB travel charger with folding prongs from the crackberry store along with a small adapter to change the micro-usb to a mini so that I can use the one charger with a few different usb-charged devices. That way I should be set for the next time I travel. Although, now that I have a Tour I no longer need the separate gps-dongle to charge, too.
    12-20-09 07:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD