01-07-10 05:51 AM
29 12
tools
    So I just bought a new car and need some new accessories for my Tour.

The car comes equipped with Bluetooth, and it's already paired with my BBerry, but I need a place to put my Tour so I'm not rummaging through my purse/on the passenger seat to find it when I need to dial/text/BBM...and all the things one isn't supposed to do while driving...

I also don't want to mount anything with screws into my new car, and JUST found out suction cup holders are banned in California (WTF?!)...so that leaves three types that I can think of:

1. Air vent bberry holder: Mobile Grip-IT Vehicle Vent Mount
    2. BBerry cup holder: BlackBerry Cup Holder Dock-iT Car Kit UCH-101-BL
    3. Charging cradle kit holder: Smooth Talker Charging Car Kit Tour

I'm eyeballing #3 but wanted input from anyone who may own this/or has experience/feedback on BBerry car holder/charger.

Thoughts?
    12-09-09 06:27 PM
    12-09-09 06:28 PM
    I just use a simple car charger. Can't get a much better deal than this...

Car Charger for BlackBerry 8900 Storm 9530 Tour 9630 - eBay (item 370303611396 end time Jan-06-10 22:58:04 PST)
    Yea, but I need a HOLDER, too. But yea, a simple charger is good if that's all one wants.
    12-09-09 06:33 PM
    *Bump* Any more thoughts? I want to buy one tonight...

Thanks.
    12-09-09 07:26 PM
    It all depends on the location of your cup holders, and cigarette lighter. Out of options 2 and 3 I would go with #3, even though its more expensive, it also charges your device and is made specifically for the tour. . I'm thinking about picking one up!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-09-09 08:44 PM
    I think my choice would be 3, 2 and then 1. However, my vehicle's cigarette lighter will probably prevent me from using #3 and my cupholders are back so #2 may be hard to use also. Good luck.
    12-09-09 09:23 PM
    Yea...3 is pricey but if it's worth it, it'll be much better than my phone rolling around on the passenger seat or taking up 1 of the 2 cups holder spaces. Looking at my car's interior, I think #3 might work...no? See the red arrow I've drawn in the picture below, pointing at the cigarette lighter location. Will it work? Yes/No?
    Last edited by HollyDay; 12-10-09 at 01:21 AM.
    12-10-09 01:06 AM
    This is what I use to use for my car
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/bes...52/index2.html

My tour fit pretty well in it also.
    http://shop.crackberry.com/igrip-uni...medium=content

I stopped using it because I didn't like leaving that compartment open. It's long and flexable so you can position it to the right angle...
    12-10-09 03:51 AM
    This is what I use to use for my car
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/bes...52/index2.html

My tour fit pretty well in it also.

I stopped using it because I didn't like leaving that compartment open. It's long and flexable so you can position it to the right angle...
    Thanks!

And looking at that, I also found this Blackberry Tour car mount. Rather handy, don't ya think? You don't lose the ability to charge yet another device - say, like an iPod - because of the outlet dongle. And it's a lot cheaper, though one has to wonder why...

Anyone have an opinion on Arkon (the brand)?
    12-10-09 05:22 AM
    I think suction cup holders aren't banned anymore. In any case, I've had my gps suctioned to the windshield for 2 years now, no problems

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-10-09 07:01 AM
    Yea...3 is pricey but if it's worth it, it'll be much better than my phone rolling around on the passenger seat or taking up 1 of the 2 cups holder spaces. Looking at my car's interior, I think #3 might work...no? See the red arrow I've drawn in the picture below, pointing at the cigarette lighter location. Will it work? Yes/No?

I think the only thing I would be concerned with is the if the door covering your power outlet(s) will be in the way when you plug in that charger.
    12-10-09 08:05 AM
    .......Anyone have an opinion on Arkon (the brand)?
    I had an Arkon Mount for my XM/Pioneer Inno. Worked great. Solid.

Regarding the iGrip and Arkon like Cigarette mounts.........Will it work with my Innocase II on my Tour? Are those bottom "feet" adjustable out to allow the extra room?
    12-10-09 08:54 AM
    I think suction cup holders aren't banned anymore. In any case, I've had my gps suctioned to the windshield for 2 years now, no problems
    Here are the CA laws for affixing anything to the windshield. Um, too complicated to understand, and anyway, I don't like suction cups as my driver seat is low, so it will likely block my view.

I think the only thing I would be concerned with is the if the door covering your power outlet(s) will be in the way when you plug in that charger.
    That's a great point...hmmm. But if I'm not mistaken, I think the door remains open, as in..it doesn't have a spring mechanism to make it pop back. But yea, that's a good point - will have to research that.

I had an Arkon Mount for my XM/Pioneer Inno. Worked great. Solid.
    Hmm, then why pay the extra $59.99, huh? I should really consider it...really, really should. Wonder what's their return policy, because it would rather suck to get the Arkon, have it break down at $20, then have to spend yet another $79.99 for the other one - for a total of $99. However, no guarantee either will last longer than the other, is there?

I shall think about this...thanks, everyone!
    12-10-09 01:14 PM
    I had this type#3, and the drawback is it's stress on the socket. Also the weight of the phone will make it sag/droop. Let's just say it's not very sturdy.
    12-10-09 01:38 PM
    Here is the down side to the iGrip: you can't charge your phone while using it. It's because of where the side grips are placed, you wont be able to plug it in.

Pro: It's really flexable and sturdy, so once you position it to where you want it.. It stays that way. It wont jiggle around or loosen up.

I can't speak on the Akron, because I never used it... but there would be an height issue for me. The iGrip I can bend the neck in so many ways to get the right height for how I was driving.

as far as the feet being adjustable...they can only move side to side.

Here are some quick pictures I snapped

Tour with my skin

Tour without the skin

Side view, you can see where the charge port is blocked

the flexable neck... I don't know how long the neck is when it's straight though.

12-10-09 02:07 PM
    12-10-09 02:13 PM
    Here is the down side to the iGrip: you can't charge your phone while using it. It's because of where the side grips are placed, you wont be able to plug it in.

Pro: It's really flexable and sturdy, so once you position it to where you want it.. It stays that way. It wont jiggle around or loosen up.

I can't speak on the Akron, because I never used it... but there would be an height issue for me. The iGrip I can bend the neck in so many ways to get the right height for how I was driving.

as far as the feet being adjustable...they can only move side to side.

Here are some quick pictures I snapped
    Wow, thanks for the pics! So it attaches to your cigarette lighter but won't charge when in use?? If so, I wonder if that's true of my #3 from my initial post. Hmm.

It's a good point, too, made by vikingjunior about the stress #3 would put on the charger port. Grrr.

As for the vent iGrip type suggested by mastamoon, I'm not too fond of the vent clip, as it will block my air - and I like lots of air! But maybe it's an option, too.

I've yet to order my Tour holder, as I'm not sure what to do now...

But thanks, all!
    12-10-09 04:04 PM
    Wow, thanks for the pics! So it attaches to your cigarette lighter but won't charge when in use?? If so, I wonder if that's true of my #3 from my initial post. Hmm.

It's a good point, too, made by vikingjunior about the stress #3 would put on the charger port. Grrr.

As for the vent iGrip type suggested by mastamoon, I'm not too fond of the vent clip, as it will block my air - and I like lots of air! But maybe it's an option, too.

I've yet to order my Tour holder, as I'm not sure what to do now...

But thanks, all!
    It uses the cig. socket, but it wont charge your phone.

When I used it with my 8330, it was great because I have a 2nd socket under my armrest so I would charge my 8330 while using the holder.
    12-10-09 04:50 PM
    It uses the cig. socket, but it wont charge your phone.

When I used it with my 8330, it was great because I have a 2nd socket under my armrest so I would charge my 8330 while using the holder.
    Now I'll have to check #3 to see if it'll charge while in use...

Something else to look into...
    12-10-09 05:09 PM
    3. Charging cradle kit holder: Smooth Talker Charging Car Kit Tour

I'm eyeballing #3 but wanted input from anyone who may own this/or has experience/feedback on BBerry car holder/charger.

Thoughts?
    Doesn't look like it will take the Innocase. Unfortunately.
    12-10-09 06:13 PM
    You might want to look at Proclip (ProClip Mounting System - Device Holders and Dashboard Vehicle Mounts) I've used them for years and always found their system to be easy to use and of good quality.
    12-10-09 08:03 PM
    You might want to look at Proclip (ProClip Mounting System*-*Device Holders and Dashboard Vehicle Mounts) I've used them for years and always found their system to be easy to use and of good quality.
    I had looked at this earlier, and it seems it's only slightly different from a vent mount, isn't it? But thank you.

So I found another version of my #3 above here. I wrote customer service about whether it charges the BBerry while in use (someone in this thread had mentioned that their lighter port/holder didn't charge theirs while in use) and their response is: "This charger will charge your device while in use - albeit at a lesser charge since you would be using power to use the device."

So there you go!

This one moves up to the top of the list for me!
    12-11-09 12:31 PM
    So the more I think about it....I probably won't get anything right now.....I like the Arkon and iGrip products, but not at the expense of covering the charging port.

And also, none of those may fit with my Innocase II case on, so it may be moot. Perhaps Seidio should look into making some form of mount that works well with their cases. They could make ones that power and ones that don't. But I don't know if they want to get into anything like that.
    12-11-09 12:43 PM
    So the more I think about it....I probably won't get anything right now.....I like the Arkon and iGrip products, but not at the expense of covering the charging port.

And also, none of those may fit with my Innocase II case on, so it may be moot. Perhaps Seidio should look into making some form of mount that works well with their cases. They could make ones that power and ones that don't. But I don't know if they want to get into anything like that.
    I can't speak to the Innocase II issue...but as far as losing the charging port, it brings it back to this holder, which 1) Plugs into the cigarette lighter; 2) Has an attached power outlet dongle attached to the pedestal, so you still have that power port, and 3) It's cheaper!

However...the description for the items says the following: "Blackberry Tour 9630 cigarette lighter accessory outlet phone mount lets you mount your smart phone in the 12V cigarette lighter accessory outlet in your car. With the attached power outlet dongle attached to the pedestal, you still have that power port - and it can be used to charge your phone using your mobile phone's car charger power cord". In other words, when you mount your phone in the power outlet, it's only holding up your phone, not charging it as well. So the extra dongle can be used to charge whatever else, as if your cig. lighter port wasn't being used.

Interesting..
    Last edited by HollyDay; 12-11-09 at 12:53 PM.
    12-11-09 12:51 PM
    I was just thinking how with this holder, if it doesn't charge your phone WHILE in use, and you have to buy an extra charger and plug it into the dongle...um, that's a whole mess of wires. I hate that.

But it's a helluva a lot cheaper than this one, though this one actually charges your phone...for like, $59 more. Um...so it's a matter of $$ vs. aesthetics. At least both seem to be functional.

I'm never gonna find the "perfect" holder for a decent price, am I? So it's any of the above holders in this thread...or bust.
    12-11-09 12:58 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD