01-23-12 10:54 PM
35 12
tools
    Snackberry, that is pretty sharp. I have the all black version coming, hopefully tomorrow. From your picture the trackpad doesn't look too terribly obstructed. Having big dull fingers from years as a mechanic I tend to use the trackpad over the touch screen for finer selections, and was a little concerned.
    09-12-11 03:43 PM
    I have small fingers and have tried several. Here's my experience:

Otterbox Commuter -- mostly works well, but the screen framing piece will come off in a hard drop. Back is all hard case, except where there are ports or buttons. Those are covered by rubber. The back is smooth, needs something like an egrips patch to make it less likely to slide.

Torch pocket sleeve at http://shop.crackberry.com/blackberr...medium=content or equivalent holster -- looks good, mostly protects well, but top is exposed. No protection out of the holster or sleeve.

AGF GRT -- really looks classy, trackpad is more difficult to use and the top is exposed.

I had a cheap no name black case that looked like a smaller GRT in black. Everything stayed on, looked and worked great. But, again, the top buttons were exposed.

Seidio Active -- designed like a slimmer Otterbox Commuter, but the screen frame has a much better grip on the phone. The bottom corners are rubber on the back piece. Ports are open. Rubberized finish on front and back pieces.

You can mix and match the Seidio screen piece with the Otterbox back for maximum protection.

Whatever you get, a screen protector is needed for your use.
    09-13-11 01:19 AM
    Patkennedy, I'm using the Seidio holster that came with my Active case. I really liked that case, but as time went on, it started to press the lock and mute keys on my 9810, but the 9800 I gave to my daughter has zero problems wearing it. Odd.

Kraski, nice write up! My only issue with the GRT is the open top, I work outside, and when it rains, in one of the trucks goes the phone. Despite harsh working conditions, and thanks to these cases, both phones look and act perfectly.

I do have to admit I have never tried a screen protector, but have thought about one. I am not the most coordinated individual in using "fine motor skills", so application is a problem for me. No, there is no kiosk in the mall here to do it for me, I live in a smallish city.
    09-13-11 09:13 AM
    I do have to admit I have never tried a screen protector, but have thought about one. I am not the most coordinated individual in using "fine motor skills", so application is a problem for me. No, there is no kiosk in the mall here to do it for me, I live in a smallish city.
    If you get one like BestSkinsEver that uses soapy water to aid in installation, you have time to move it around till it's properly positioned before you let it sit for awhile. Just a thought.
    AugustArborists likes this.
    09-13-11 03:00 PM
    Kraski, thank you, I will look around for one. With my luck and skill set, I'll give the phone a bath, but I will report back to all on the warranty process with AT&T.
    09-13-11 03:54 PM
    Wrap some masking or packing tape around your finger and that way you can lift the protector off if you have any particles trapped or air bubbles. You can also use it to remove particles from the sticky side of the protector as you lay it down. Do that and you will be fine. The screen protectors from "Clarivue" even come with a cleaning wipe to use before you lay the screen down, and they come in 2 packs I believe. "3M" makes a nice one for the 9800 that should work nice. Just make sure you get the "glossy" version and you can't see the difference. The privacy models can put a funky haze on the screen.

http://www.clarivue.com/Blackberry_bymfg_16-4-1.html

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/SDP_NaturalView/screenprotector/cell-screen-protector/blackberry-9800-screen-protector/

I think the bottom half of a snap on case plus a screen protector & skip the top of the case would be the most functional way to go. That way if you slipped it into your pocket with the screen facing your body the top half will be perfectly safe and the back will be covered with plastic in case you have your keys in your pocket. Anything you put on the top half of the slider will make the trackpad unusable.
    Last edited by olblueyez; 09-13-11 at 06:34 PM.
    09-13-11 06:12 PM
    I strongly recommend you stay away from Otterbox. I had a commuter on my 9810 and the thing just up and broke. I didn't drop it.. or hit it... nothing. It just failed.
    09-13-11 07:09 PM
    I really do think the best looking case is the Agf Grt it matches the phone and its also really durable. I've tried the commuter and a casemate and they both cause the screen to wobble and dirt gets under the plastic piece which causes it to chip. Agf Grt is the best for the torch. JMO
    09-13-11 07:48 PM
    [QUOTE=Lego Star Wars;6665094]
    Cases for the 98XX phones make the trackpad unusable. You simply cannot add mass to the leading edge of the screen/trackpad housing and have the trackpad operate properly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Actually I have a case for my Torch. Track pad works fine. No problems

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Hey that is a great post dude. Maybe you could tell what kind of case it is? I hope it's not made out of legos.
    10-20-11 11:13 PM
    I really liked my commuter series case for my 9700. I thus bought the otterbox for my torch. the top piece of the case broke just in my pocket. when I took the back piece off to switch cases, it broke near the headphone jack. bummer too, since I really prefered the feel of it over another case I have
    01-23-12 10:54 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD