this is what my friendly phone salesman told me: bb's have a built in, top secret function whereby the color on the bottom bar (just left of the 4 metallic contact points) reveals the state of your battery, especially if you have had an accident. {For example, black (or is it white??) = water damage, etc.}

my bb has just stopped working. I took it to said carrier co. store and my salesman pointed out the pink strip on my battery but was incapable of telling me what that meant. does anyone out there know? many thanks in advance for your help.
    --haapi
    08-15-08 01:39 AM
    OK-in response to my own post, I found the answer elsewhere, but after my first post (sorry!). It's called a "liquid indicator" and apparently it is not so top secret, although it's not something the manufacturer openly discusses. I just repeated what the sales dude told me.
    My indicator, light pink (with darker pink x's) supposedly shows high humidity although it should not reflect a phone that is not functioning (and mine is not.)
    If anyone has anything to add I'd be interested to hear it.

Cheers
    08-15-08 01:57 AM
    Mine was sort of pink with red x's when I received the phone.

The reason for the sticker to to show if your phone got wet. I'm guessing RIM's warranty does not cover water damage.

So if you drop it in the toilet, it stops working, you dry it out, and then send it to them hoping they'd replace it.....you'd get rejected because the sticker would be red.
    08-15-08 08:51 AM
    fairly common knowledge but glad you learned something new.
    Its just the first of all kinds of new things you'll learn here. Welcome aboard!
    08-15-08 08:56 AM
    thanks! looking forward to the ride.
    08-15-08 12:19 PM
    Wow. Top secret message.... Hehe. Oh carrier reps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-08 12:24 PM
    on most phones there are 3 liquid indicators. one on the battery, on one the phone and one inside where the circuits are.

i'll have to look and see if the bb's have them too!
    08-15-08 12:25 PM
    If you have a pink strip running through the middle your battery is clean or in otherwords no moisture damage. If it's completely red then you have damage.

08-15-08 12:31 PM
    I think the sticker pattern varies. My roommates sticker on the battery when she got hers was white with red x's. When I got mine the sticker was (and still is) light pink with dark pink x's. Neither of us had a line running through it.
    08-15-08 12:41 PM
    If you have a pink strip running through the middle your battery is clean or in otherwords no moisture damage. If it's completely red then you have damage.

Not necessarily. Some indicators are covered in red or pink x's.

08-15-08 12:48 PM
    I recall my Pearls battery having red x's one the bottom. I believe that as long as the color of the red/pink is solid- you're safe. If they get wet, those colors will run; hence not be solid any more. Thats when you're screwed.
    08-15-08 12:51 PM
    Wow.....guess I was oblivious to this. U learn something new everyday!! I guess I just never really thought about it!

08-15-08 12:59 PM
    I work in a bodyshop painting cars and have sort of same thing. I have a drying system on my airline and when it gets water(moisture) in the line it turns from blue to pink then white when completely satured. My old razor also had same thing inside battery cover. When my dryer on my airline turns white i change insides and paper turns back to blue. I was wondering if maybe you dryed bb if it would do same. Then maybe you could warranty it. Not Sure.
    08-20-08 10:06 PM
    WOW taught me something!
    08-20-08 10:17 PM
    I guess Knowledge is POWER
    08-20-08 10:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD