Hello,

I came across this sort of by accident, but perhaps others may find it helpful.

Upon purchasing my new 8900, I too ran into some angst from day one with the stock case -- it was too tight and snug when putting in / taking out the phone day in and day out. Plus, there was concern that this may have led to premature battery drain, etc, etc. But basically, it just did not fit right, and it was a bit frustrating after paying good money for a high-end phone.

Last week while on a business trip, I did not feel like carrying my wallet and BB one particular night, so I decided to take my driver's license, hotel room key, and a credit card or two and shove them into the case along with the BB. Did this for about half a day. This of course made it even more snug, but the goal here was to keep it all together sort of like a wallet. This worked ok, but it was a bear getting the phone out when a call came in .

Now, this week, I have noticed that by BB is actually sliding in and out of the case much easier and much more naturally. Its basically perfect fit at this point, so the cards and license actually stretched the case into a perfect shape.

Not a rocket science solution of course, but maybe this can help others.
    03-15-09 07:08 PM
    Intereshhting.

Any difinitive answer as to whether this was what was affecting the battery then? Do you now see the same lifetime you were seeing before reverting to the case?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-15-09 07:20 PM
    Good question. To be honest, it seems to be running longer, but it could be wishful thinking. My battery life has been pretty good since upgrading to .168 several weeks ago.

BTW, if you try this, jam the cards in the case so they rest up on the back-side of the BB, not the front, button-side.
    03-15-09 07:27 PM
    Yeah, the trick is to stretch it out. I've put my gf's 8320 to stretch it out and it worked wonderfully.
    03-15-09 07:30 PM
    Careful when putting credit cards in oem cases - the magnet may demagnetize your cards.
    03-15-09 07:35 PM
    Very interesting, thanks for the tip!

@Blackberry_Guy - VERY good advise there. Everyone do be careful around magnets with credit cards and licenses. The magnetic strip can easily become de-magnetized.
    03-15-09 08:31 PM
    fhfbghjhhv
    03-15-09 08:38 PM
    Mauro99, I agree.

03-15-09 08:42 PM
    yeah, i'm gonna find something to stuff the case with to stretch it out.
    03-15-09 08:44 PM
    Ipod videos work pretty well in streching out the case
    03-15-09 11:14 PM
    Yeah, I used my 80gb ipod to stretch it out, stuck it in for two days, but it still needs some more!
    03-15-09 11:29 PM
    I dont like the case lol. it doesnt completly cover it .
    03-15-09 11:49 PM
    not only does it not completely cover the phone but you often pull the phone out by squeezing the camera/flash area which some are already reporting to be a weak spot where the plastic casing is coming off. so make it a habit to pull it out using the sides if you are going to be using this case.
    03-16-09 03:15 AM
    Intereshhting.

Any difinitive answer as to whether this was what was affecting the battery then? Do you now see the same lifetime you were seeing before reverting to the case?

its like putting a tight condom on.. it ruins the flow of things and exhausts you.
    03-16-09 06:16 AM
    I prefer my silicone skin and the standby button to be completely honest with you all. Works the same way right? I mean protection from the skin and sleep on standby mode to save the battery. The OEM holster SUCKS! I will not be using it, ever. I tried it with my first Curve 8900, t'was rubbish. Now I am on my second 8900 (a replacement) and the holster is still unopened in the packaging. Bleeuughh, silly holster! Why make a product like that for an expensive phone when IT DOESN'T EVEN WORK OR REACH IT'S FULL POTENTIAL, I MEAN JUST WHY? COM' ON RIM YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO TRY A BIT HARDER THAN THAT TO IMPRESS US CRACKBERRY FIENDS! *rant over!*
    03-16-09 06:21 AM
    While sitting and watching tv, I will take the phone out of the case and gently push the edges of the case in (kinda squeezing from the sides) to break in the case and soften the material. Works like a charm! Phone is snug but you dont have to cram it in!
    03-16-09 08:05 AM
    I prefer my silicone skin and the standby button to be completely honest with you all. Works the same way right? I mean protection from the skin and sleep on standby mode to save the battery. The OEM holster SUCKS! I will not be using it, ever. I tried it with my first Curve 8900, t'was rubbish. Now I am on my second 8900 (a replacement) and the holster is still unopened in the packaging. Bleeuughh, silly holster! Why make a product like that for an expensive phone when IT DOESN'T EVEN WORK OR REACH IT'S FULL POTENTIAL, I MEAN JUST WHY? COM' ON RIM YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO TRY A BIT HARDER THAN THAT TO IMPRESS US CRACKBERRY FIENDS! *rant over!*
    i use a skin too but with my old pearl, i found that using a holster extends the life of the trackball. without it, the trackball will attract dust into it and will eventually need cleaning or replacement. more of a problem if you're always carrying your phone in your jean pocket.
    03-16-09 10:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD