Minor screen scratches can be buffed out to unoticable using a polishing toothpaste or Brasso. Just use with caution around the edges so it doesn't go into the cracks between the glass and the base.

Just so there's no question, I prefer the "naked" screen because I think it becomes less responsive with protector on. Scrolling, texting and selecting seem to be more difficult, at least for me.
    06-25-10 12:44 PM
    I have never used a screen protector on any device I have owned. When you get refurbished units you loose it anyway!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-10 12:57 PM
    Oh no.... where can i get those matt...non-finger print sticky protector?
    06-25-10 02:13 PM
    Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've also never used a screen protector and have never had any scratches on it what-so-ever.

I usually carry in my pants pocket, and while I generally carry my keys and change etc. in my other pocket, it's certainly not like the screen has never had to share space with other stuff that could have scratched it.
    06-25-10 03:06 PM
    Mine is completely clad in a Zagg Full body armor. I prefer the protection. I honestly don't notice any difference in sensitivity of the screen. Offers protection and easy wiping.
    06-25-10 03:34 PM
    screen protectors are a waste of money for the Storm line. don't believe me? check this out:

they can be useful for avoiding fingerprints and/or reducing glare but if you are buying one just for protection, save your money!!
    06-25-10 03:37 PM
    screen protectors are a waste of money for the Storm line. don't believe me? check this out:

they can be useful for avoiding fingerprints and/or reducing glare but if you are buying one just for protection, save your money!!
    its never just about scratch....try dropping your phone without a screen protector... maybe you will regret what u said...
    06-25-10 04:26 PM
    its never just about scratch....try dropping your phone without a screen protector... maybe you will regret what u said...
    i have dropped my phone from chest height face down onto concrete twice without the screen scratching or cracking. i guess my epik case kept the glass far enough off the surface to save it... like i said, $7 better spent elsewhere. my main gripe with screen protectors has nothing to do with price though. i simply don't like the way they feel on a touchscreen phone, especially while swiping. there is no protector out there that can compare to the quality of cold glass underneath your finger. but to each their own.
    Last edited by SolidOrange; 06-25-10 at 05:15 PM.
    06-25-10 04:39 PM
    I dropped mine today. Not a scratch. No protector.

it was on on the tiles outside from 3 feet. Surely I believed it was the end of it. But only a small nick on the top corner. Just lucky I guess. Phew.

06-25-10 04:43 PM
    call me old fashiond but i love the OEM blackbarry case
    06-25-10 04:45 PM
    I use full body ghost armor. I dropped my phone countless times from various heights and the battery always flies out. The screen never cracks. A beer even sprang a leak in the same jacket pocket as my phone last winter and I didn't realize it for about 15 seconds. When I did I took out the battery for a loooong time and when I put it back the screen felt weird but eventually went back to normal. I barely have a scratch on my phone. And this is still my first one.

06-25-10 04:55 PM
    Yeah, I don't use a protector either. When I first got my S1 on release day, I did go the protector route, but abandoned it after a month or so. I had it a year without a scratch. Now, I've been using my S2 sans protector since last November and again, no scratches. I've dropped it twice, both times face down on tile and virtually no scratches at all. I use the OEM leather holster. My only complaint is the finger smudging, it can get serious at times, and perhaps a protector would help with that, but it's not that big of a deal. Peanut Butter and Jelly, on the other hand...........
    06-25-10 04:56 PM
    maybe i am unlucky? I dropped mine for 1 time on concrete flooring....waist level.... face down and cuz i only had and uses storm1 screen protector.. it never cover the call buttons portion... guess? what? smack right there...the calling buttons cracks from there up to the screen protector.

much later...i dropped 2nd time....this time cuz the screen already cracks...created more spiderweb cracks...

a painful 60UKpounds full screen replacement by myself.

Thereafter i got myself an otterbox commuter...it comes with screen protector too.

I dropped my phone twice since with the casing...fully protected...

Its really up to your guys to deem what is good for your phone but... from my experienced... the screen protector does help holding the screen togeher from impact.

GOOD LUCK TO THOSE WHO DONT HAVE IT and NEVER BELIEVE IT.

I guess only when it happen then you feel the pinch.

It really is how it drop makes the difference...look at iphone4 drop test...only 2-3times then they successfully cracks the new iphone4...how? at the vulnerable angle. i guess...
    06-25-10 05:06 PM
    I use full body ghost armor. I dropped my phone countless times from various heights and the battery always flies out. The screen never cracks. A beer even sprang a leak in the same jacket pocket as my phone last winter and I didn't realize it for about 15 seconds. When I did I took out the battery for a loooong time and when I put it back the screen felt weird but eventually went back to normal. I barely have a scratch on my phone. And this is still my first one.

Both my Original Storm and Storm has absolutely no scratches nor dings thanks to full body armor (they are not even noticeable). Docks nice to the deskcharger at night. (they have all received a good amount of dropping).
    Last edited by brown_storm; 06-25-10 at 05:13 PM.
    06-25-10 05:10 PM
    I think it's important to remember that there is a big difference between putting a piece of plastic (ok, "armored plastic") on the screen to protect from scratches and encasing your beloved Storm in full body armor to protect from drops and banging.

The bottom line is, the screen is very difficult to scratch. But drops, sometimes even relatively minor ones, can be all that's needed to bring **** into your life
    06-25-10 06:15 PM
    I think it's important to remember that there is a big difference between putting a piece of plastic (ok, "armored plastic") on the screen to protect from scratches and encasing your beloved Storm in full body armor to protect from drops and banging.
    And the piece of plastic ain't gonna save the screen during one of those drops.

Screen protectors made sense in the days of soft LCD screens on PDAs like the Palms that got scratched by stylus use. That was then, this is now.
    06-25-10 07:20 PM
    Well, actually, I did read a report once where the author did some testing and determined that the protector COULD possibly protect the screen from cracking when dropped. Much like a car tinted window is somewhat stronger by virtue of the tinting adding structural support. I'm not supporting the claims, but I don't refute them, either. I agree though, that the protectors made sense back in the day.

Speaking of PDAs, a friend dropped by to borrow a USB connector and while rummaging around through my collection, I just found my old, Dell X51V PDA. I had forgotten all about that. What a great device it was (about 6 years old). My buddy asked "why didn't you just keep using that?" (he's NOT techy at all) and I said "because it has no PHONE!" If it had, I might still be using it today, though as I think about it, the whole stylus thing was sort of a PITA.

On a more IMPORTANT note, this same friend has been rummaging around in his garage, digging up stuff that he and his wife are going to put on EBay. They're retired and plan to move in the next year, so they're cleaning house. In a box he got from his Dad's house after he passed away, he just found the January, 1954 issue of Playboy magazine in mint condition! This is issue number 2 (bummer, the first issue is worth over $10,000). I wonder if old cell phones will ever be worth anything? LOL!

And the piece of plastic ain't gonna save the screen during one of those drops.

Screen protectors made sense in the days of soft LCD screens on PDAs like the Palms that got scratched by stylus use. That was then, this is now.
    06-25-10 08:41 PM
    I'm not sure if it's what you're getting at...but I can guarantee that if you were to drop your phone in a manner that would crack the screen (not just scratch it), I don't think a "protector" would make much of a difference, although it may make it easier to collect the pieces.
    06-25-10 10:17 PM
    If u read my post...I say again...I was using the storm1 screen protector on storm2...so...it left the call buttons exposed....when I dropped my phone....face down...why u think only the exposed portion cracks? Some how the screen protector stick and hold the screen together from impact. U guys are just too stubborn to agree that a screen protector does help in some ways absorb impact......nevermind....I shall not further argue my theory.

When it happens...u will know.

06-26-10 07:00 AM
    If u read my post...I say again...I was using the storm1 screen protector on storm2...so...it left the call buttons exposed....when I dropped my phone....face down...why u think only the exposed portion cracks? Some how the screen protector stick and hold the screen together from impact. U guys are just too stubborn to agree that a screen protector does help in some ways absorb impact......nevermind....I shall not further argue my theory.

When it happens...u will know.

Hmmm...I did go back and read your other post, and that is interesting. At the very least, it would appear that the screen protector may have saved crack from spreading, so there is obviously some level of protection there.

It's too bad we don't have the means to go all "mythbusters" on this and set up a few tests to see just how much benefit the screen protector actually provides.
    06-26-10 09:31 AM
    How about if you try NOT dropping YOUR phone.
    06-26-10 12:41 PM
    I've always used a screen protector on ALL my stuff.... iPods, cameras, mp3 players... the only place I don't have one is on my S90xs keyboard.... I will say that even with a protector I get a lot of finger marks on the screen and I'm always cleaning it....
    06-30-10 08:49 AM
    I've always used a screen protector on ALL my stuff.... iPods, cameras, mp3 players... the only place I don't have one is on my S90xs keyboard.... I will say that even with a protector I get a lot of finger marks on the screen and I'm always cleaning it....
    Yeah, I keep getting finger prints on mine too. Had to replace it 19 times already....
    06-30-10 09:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD