Ok, so I'm still technically a newbie but I figured I'd tackle the problem everyone has with the oem blackberry charging pod lights being too bright. I took it apart using a size T-6 Torx driver after peeling the rubber pad off. There are only 3 screws. It easily comes apart by lifting the chrome cover off of the base. I decided to change the color of the lights by providing a lens for them rather than trying to replace them with colored led's. They are tiny surface mount leds anyway and most people would not be able to replace them. I wanted blue light that was not as bright. I used a piece of Priority Mail shipping tape and cut small piece to fit on the inside of the chrome piece where the logo was. I used a double thickness as it was still too bright for me. The second led is on the pc board. It shines on the strip that is inside the charger and is blocked once the phone is inserted. You may want to just leave that one alone. I put a piece of the tape over the majority of the board where it is as it is extremely bright! I've attached a couple of pics. One shows the comparison with an unmodded unit. You could make these any color or brightness (dimness) you want!

This is not a very technical job but you must be careful as the board and wires are fragile.
    10-29-08 11:58 PM
    very nice! it looks pretty clean to me. actually i don't have a problem with the brightness of my charger, but if i'm ever bored thanks for the tutorial
    10-30-08 12:06 AM
    I may have to try this I can't use mine at night due to the night. I require it to be pitch black when I sleep.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-30-08 12:09 AM
    That's really cool.
    10-30-08 12:22 AM
    Never really found the lights too bright and quite honestly, until
    this thread I never really heard anyone complain about that.

Then again my pod is on my desk, at the other end of the house
    and not in my bedroom so I only actually see it when there is good
    lighting
    10-30-08 12:40 AM
    that is cool! i love hardware mods!
    10-30-08 12:47 AM
    Yep opened both mine up and changed them to dark blue nice at night time now
    12-07-08 08:53 PM
    A low tech fix would be to put a piece of black tape on the out side of the charger to cover up the LEDs for those that "must" have total darkness. I assume such folks have no windows in the room they sleep in or black drapes like friends I have do.

12-07-08 10:01 PM
    We have the black out. I HAVE to have total darkness.

12-07-08 11:28 PM
    I may have to try this I can't use mine at night due to the night. I require it to be pitch black when I sleep.

well if u charge it theres still that green light

can u provide step by step pics?
    12-08-08 12:02 AM
    That is why I have 2 batteries and use my older BB to charge during the day.

12-08-08 12:05 AM
    yes! step by step pics or at least a picture of the guts with the placement of the tape...
    12-08-08 12:09 AM
    That is awesome! And to the black tape poster. I just used aluminum tape to cover the blinking LED on the USB cable that goes to the printer in my bedroom. It was giving me seizures in my sleep!
    12-08-08 12:09 AM
    Nice...I justed used black electrical tape over the top, it dulls the light down to almost nothing and takes about 10 seconds.
    12-24-08 01:01 PM
    Thanks for this, going to try it soon. Can you advise if the black rubber base is easy to replace?
    12-24-08 01:42 PM
    Thanks for this, going to try it soon. Can you advise if the black rubber base is easy to replace?
    Thanks for the tip....

I just did this...the rubber base was easy to replace for me anyway...I didn't peel it all the way off...
    12-24-08 02:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD