Manually pushing the lock button on upper left of phone?

I'm using my Storm in my Tour holster but the Tour holster won't put the Storm to sleep. I've been locking it to conserve battery but wasn't sure if its the same as when the holster puts it to sleep.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-09 12:03 PM
    I'm not sure if the holster actually locks it or puts it to sleep, but I know that just locking it and pushing the red end button are two different things. I would say there's a difference, but then again I've never used a holster.
    11-07-09 12:24 PM
    The holster does lock the phone and turn off the screen immediately once the phone is in proximity of the magnet in the holster. You also get some features that open up when the phone is in sleep mode in a holder (different vibration profiles for notifications depending on how you set this up). I believe that locking the phone does help keep the screen off once the back light timer counts down, so in a way you are still saving your battery. However, you do not get the same sleep mode functions that you would get from using a holster or a case that supports sleep mode.
    11-07-09 01:00 PM
    If you lock the phone and have it in your pocket the screen can still light up if one of the 4 buttons are pressed.
    11-07-09 01:01 PM
    My Tour holster does not put my Storm to sleep when I put it in the holster.

I'm not using the red power down button; then my phone wouldn't ring if a call came in.

I just wanted to know if pushing the lock button on top gives the same battery saving results as when the phone is in sleep mode?

And no, I don't put the Storm in my pocket so when it's locked, there's no chance of pushing the bottom 4 buttons. Basically the screen stays off until I unlock it again.
    11-07-09 02:24 PM
    We had the same question when we were developing hyberpad.

In that the phone is polling buttons to see if they are pressed in lock mode and buttons are not polled when the phone is sleep mode it would be logical to conclude that more power is used in lock mode than sleep mode.

But that is suposition - We found ths except in RIM's patent for this technology: US Patent 7231226 - System and method for event-dependent state activation for a dual-mode mobile communication device

<snip>

FIG. 4 is a circuit diagram of the preferred embodiment of the magnet detection system. The circuit preferably utilizes a Hall effect magnetic proximity sensor to detect the near presence of a permanent magnet mounted in the device's holster. This information is used by system software to alter operation modes in order to effect power saving and user notification differences between the in-holster and out-of-holster states.

The proximity sensor makes use of the Hall effect phenomenon, in which a material with a current flowing through it and a magnetic field passing through it in a direction perpendicular to the direction of the current flow, will develop a voltage across it in a direction that is orthogonal to, and a magnitude that is proportional to the magnitudes of both the current and the field.

In FIG. 4, the magnet itself is not shown schematically, but its presence in close proximity to the sensor device 140 causes that device to change its output from a high level signal to a low level signal. This signal appears on 142, which is preferably read at a digital input port of the system's microprocessor 38. The VCC and GND labels refer to the sensor power supply. Capacitor 144 decouples from the power supply current glitches that occur during switching of the sensor output. Resistor 146 preferably increases the output 144 when the magnet 124 is not present, as this signal is not actually driven to a high level by the sensor 140. Capacitor 148 preferably decouples high-frequency interference that appears on the outputsignal line 142, especially when the system wireless is transmitting, from the sensor device 140. The sensor device 140 uses very little operating current, and operation may be adversely affected by high-frequency disturbances being rectified byparasitic diodes inside the device.

<snip>

Lots of Geek Speak there - but it looks like RIM has gone through a great deal of trouble to incorporate the Hall Effect Magnet Sensors in their devices.

It also appears that there is a low battery using mode activated by the magnet and it has a different circuit in that the screen is lit and the buttons are active in lock mode ( even though its just to tell you it is in lock mode when pressed).

There are other good reasons to hibernate the phone. We have found other RIM patents that refer to the proximity magnets emptying the so called "garbage heap" of the Java stack.
    11-08-09 04:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD