Just ordered my 8900 today, as well as the OEM charging cradle.

I know that with a data cable, it can be used for syncing as well. I was wondering, can one tether with the blackberry when it's in the cradle and plugged into the computer via the data cable?

Just curious!
    01-20-09 12:27 PM
    in order to tether you must be plug the usb cable directly into the device or via bluetooth.

charging pod is strictly for charging and does not transfer data..

so to answer ur question....

you cannot tether if you have your phone in the docking station unless...

your using a bluetooh pam session, OR have a usb cable plugged into the phone while docked
    01-20-09 03:15 PM
    in order to tether you must be plug the usb cable directly into the device or via bluetooth.

charging pod is strictly for charging and does not transfer data..

so to answer ur question....

you cannot tether if you have your phone in the docking station unless...

your using a bluetooh pam session, OR have a usb cable plugged into the phone while docked
    Have you guys tried this? Can you confirm the data cable connection works while in the charging pod?
    01-20-09 03:25 PM
    Have you guys tried this? Can you confirm the data cable connection works while in the charging pod?
    The cradle's description says that it can be used for charging/syncing up to the computer when it is connected via a data cable. Others have verified that they can sync it when it's in the cradle.

I figured if syncing works, then why not tethering?
    01-20-09 03:53 PM
    The cradle's description says that it can be used for charging/syncing up to the computer when it is connected via a data cable. Others have verified that they can sync it when it's in the cradle.

I figured if syncing works, then why not tethering?
    AH ok. I thought I had read that previously but wasn't sure. As long as you can successfully tether via your provider's APN (I can't) without using the cradle then I don't see why you can't do the same thing while in the charging cradle going off of that description. I'm sure you will be fine.
    01-20-09 04:06 PM
    AH ok. I thought I had read that previously but wasn't sure. As long as you can successfully tether via your provider's APN (I can't) without using the cradle then I don't see why you can't do the same thing while in the charging cradle going off of that description. I'm sure you will be fine.
    Okay sweet. When I get my 8900 and then my cradle I will let you guys now.

I can tether fine with my 7290, so I'm hoping my 8900 will do just fine as well.
    01-20-09 04:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD