Like so like many of you, I bought an Otterbox Commuter Case with my 9800's from AT&T the day it was released. Well a couple weeks later I was surfing the web looking to see what new cases were available and ran across the Otterbox website - as you can see in the screen shot below the case is supposed to come with a screen protector.

So i emailed Otterbox asking where my screen protector was - their response is below.

Now i knew already why i didn't get a screen protector but since Otterbox's website said I was supposed to get one I wanted it...

Anyways, they agreed to send me one once they got them in stock - see email below.

I encourage every one who bought one of these overpriced cases from AT&T to email Otterbox and ask for a screen protector...
    Last edited by lucky45; 09-20-10 at 12:34 PM.
    09-20-10 12:31 PM
    NEVER buy accessories from AT&T stores! They are almost always overpriced, unless possibly if they are on clearance. Internetz FTW.

[speculation]
    The only reason that the Otterbox purchased from AT&T might not have the screen protector is that they might have gotten a special carrier-packaged version cheaper without the screen protector. This happens with handhelds a lot, too, where some of the RIM-listed in-the-box accessories are not there when you get it from certain carriers. Costs carriers less, but they still charge you the same price.
    [/speculation]
    09-20-10 01:15 PM
    I took mine back...noticed it didn't have one from att. Plus the top kept coming off.
    09-20-10 01:16 PM
    FTR, I got my 9700 Commuter from Amazon, saved about $12, and got a screen protector with it.
    09-20-10 01:19 PM
    NEVER buy accessories from AT&T stores! They are almost always overpriced, unless possibly if they are on clearance. Internetz FTW.
    Agreed

[speculation]
    The only reason that the Otterbox purchased from AT&T might not have the screen protector is that they might have gotten a special carrier-packaged version cheaper without the screen protector.
    [/speculation]
    Or because they wanted you to buy their 2pack of screen protectors for $20...

I understand WHY AT&T does what it does, that's how business make their money - my problem was with Otterbox not having the correct info on their site...
    09-20-10 01:22 PM
    I took mine back...noticed it didn't have one from att. Plus the top kept coming off.
    Yep, that top part that pops off is a definite design flaw in the Otterbox. In any event, I've little doubt AT&T wanted to make more $$ by selling screen protectors separately.
    09-20-10 01:22 PM
    It's true what Lucky said, I had the same issue. I emailed otterbox customer service and they said they ship them with screen protectors but it's an agreement between them and ATT. But they did agree to send me a screen protector free of charge to me. I do think this otterbox is not as great as the one for the 9700 but I do love that rubber liner they put in there. I feel like my phone will be ok no matter what.
    09-23-10 01:54 PM
    I don't like this case. too slippery..especially with the slider action. It's only a matter of time before the torch slides out of my hand on opening. Seidio's Innocase is where it's at. Rubberized plastic. It's in productions.
    09-24-10 03:20 PM
    I also took mine back for falling off.
    09-24-10 03:27 PM
    They have some of the Amzer TPU ones like I had on my 9700 on Ebay. I got mine today so far it is the best between the Case Mate and Otterbox. It doesn't feel like it is going to fall off.
    09-24-10 04:26 PM
    I don't care for the Otterbox for a few reasons. First, it is ugly. With the raised ridge on the top piece, it makes the phone look like something from the 70's. Second, sometimes I like to carry my phone in my front jeans pocket. This case makes the phone MUCH thicker, which ends up putting much more pressure on the phone and in particular the screen, when carrying it in your pocket. My first Torch started out very tight. Within 3 weeks the screen had become quite loose, and part of the lower bezel was also loose and making a creaking sound when pressing on the screen. I took it back and exchanged it for a new phone. I am pretty sure that the combination of carrying it in my pocket and the added thickness of the Otterbox case both contributed to this. My 2nd phone also started out very solid, and over 2 weeks later is just as solid. The only difference is I am not using the Otterbox any longer.
    09-24-10 05:22 PM
    Haha.....I did the same thing...email Otterbox to ask why no screen protectors for the TWO cases I bought from AT&T!!!!! One for my daughter one for me! NEVER AGAIN will I buy accessories from AT&T! Too many other options out there and for cheaper! I deleted the email but they too said that once the screen protectors came in they would send me one!
    09-24-10 06:58 PM
    They have some of the Amzer TPU ones like I had on my 9700 on Ebay. I got mine today so far it is the best between the Case Mate and Otterbox. It doesn't feel like it is going to fall off.
    Too bad you didn't get a chance to read the couple of reviews on Amazon on the Amzer. It's apparently as big a fail as the Otterbox because its top pops off, too. At least it's less than a third of the price of the rip-off Otterbox.
    09-24-10 08:24 PM
    and the screen protectors in our stores are 2 and 3 packs...
    09-24-10 10:34 PM
    I work at place that sells accessories for phones, and still, I agree. :P
    09-26-10 12:58 PM
    very true, the top does come off, but this started to happen when the stock plastic over the buttons came off. they help held the top cover tighter on the phone. the commuter case is child's play i think, i wanted the defender case that never came out, im still waiting for it, and although it doesn't look like it will ever come out for this phone I know its would of bin a better case.
    09-26-10 03:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD