I bought the Storm Docking Cradle from the Crackberry Store but I'm getting an error that my computer does not recognize the device.

My computer is a Windows XP laptop that has no problems recognizing my Storm 9530 when I connect directly via USB cable.

When I plug my cradle into a USB port on my computer the light at the top back of the cradle illuminates properly. Also, when I drop the Storm into the cradle the charge indicator (thunderbolt) appears on the battery icon on the Storm.

The balloon messages I receive from Windows are that it has Found New Hardware, USB Device, Unknown Device, and that the New hardware is installed and ready to use. Then it gives me the error:
    USB Device Not Recognized
    One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and windows does not recognize it. For assistance in solving this problem, click this message.

When I click the message it shows me an Unknown Device in the USB Root Hub.

I've tried uninstalling the driver and reconnecting unsuccessfully. I've tried to load the RIM USB driver located in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\USB Drivers folder unsuccessfully. I've tried plugging into several different USB ports. I've tried different USB cables. I've even gone into the Device Manager and turned off power management to every USB Root Hub and I keep getting the same error.

All out of ideas. Any help?
    01-07-09 10:31 AM
    This appears to be a growing problem. I started having problems with mine not really charging my storm even though it looked like it was, IE lighting bolt on battery icon, going into bedside mode.

I then started doing some trouble shooting and found that I am getting the same error on my computer that you are getting.

At this point I have determined that my POD is defective and have contacted the retailer I bought mine through (MSGDigital.com) and they had me go online and request a RMA and send it back.

I believe you are having the same issue so I would recommend contacting Crackberry.com and getting a replacement.

One other thing you might try is to contact VZW and see if you can convince them to exchange it for ya. Don't know if they would or not but they are better about sending out the replacement with return shipping paid for so it costs nothing!

Anyway you handle it you are going to have to get a replacement!

Hope this helps
    01-07-09 01:32 PM
    This appears to be a growing problem. I started having problems with mine not really charging my storm even though it looked like it was, IE lighting bolt on battery icon, going into bedside mode.

I then started doing some trouble shooting and found that I am getting the same error on my computer that you are getting.

At this point I have determined that my POD is defective and have contacted the retailer I bought mine through (MSGDigital.com) and they had me go online and request a RMA and send it back.

I believe you are having the same issue so I would recommend contacting Crackberry.com and getting a replacement.

One other thing you might try is to contact VZW and see if you can convince them to exchange it for ya. Don't know if they would or not but they are better about sending out the replacement with return shipping paid for so it costs nothing!

Anyway you handle it you are going to have to get a replacement!

Hope this helps
    I had a feeling it might be a defective cradle. I'll try and swap it out. Thanks!
    01-07-09 02:01 PM
    Having this eaxact same problem with my storm 9500 and Vista through the cradle

Let me know if you guys find a fix.
    03-11-09 06:25 AM
    Had 3 replacement cradles now and each one has exactly the same fault..! They dont even charge the Storm from the mains...the charge icon does come on but the battery doesn't get charged up.

I gave up and went for the official cradle and it works a treat...should have gone there first!
    04-05-09 06:18 AM
    Im having the same issue with a cradle I bought on ebay. I really wanted something that would charge an extra battery as well so it appears that aftermarket is my only option. I am on the second unit now that it has the same issues, unrecognized USB device. I'm starting to think that I may have ended up with a $30 battery charger and nice "stand" for my phone, and not much more.. :B
    04-06-09 03:44 PM

i would really appreciate if some computer savy people could help me out
    "one of the devices connected to computer has malfunctioned and windows not recognize it" i already tried to troubleshoot it and it says device unknown. i deleted the drivers and device manager and reinstalled them still nothing. it worked when i first connected and reloaded my stuff from my old pearl then i might have forgot to eject it or something. then i started to get this message. i was able to connect the phone and everything on my desktop computer but i need it to be connected to my laptop bc thats where i need it the most. i think this happened when i got my pearl and i couldnt connect anything to laptop (phone, printer, etc) then it mysteriously started working again months later. thanks a lot guys i really appreciate everything ive read and learned from this forum.
    -thorg
    I don't have an answer, but I sure hope someone chimes in. Mine has started doing this yesterday, and I'm baffled. I'm hardly a computer newbie, and I cannot get this to work regardless what I try. I've uninstalled the DM software, the USB drivers, reinstalled everything, erased the updates on the HDD that were downloaded from the BB site and tried the software on the original CD, downloaded updates directly from the BB site and tried them.

I even put it in Media mode from the options screens to see if I can see it as a regular USB drive. Nothing works. Exactly the same behavior on both my Storm ad my wife's storm, so I doubt it's hardware specific to both phones simultaneously. My phone has a boatload of 'stuff' and my wife's phone is stock out of the box.

Anyone got any ideas? At this point all I can think of is buy a new computer, which isn't an option right now.

Michael
    04-18-09 10:36 AM
    I don't have an answer, but I sure hope someone chimes in. Mine has started doing this yesterday, and I'm baffled.
    OK, I've got this figured out. I have two cables; one works and one fails. So it's hardware.

First, I am pretty sure I did *NOT* have any of these oddball USB cables except the ones which came I the two storm boxes. But I do have two cables and two Storms. And one cable has the little Blackberry emblem on the micro-end while one of them does not have the logo. (I never noticed this until today, frankly.) But both cables came in a Blackberry box, not something I have third party.

I can say that I am certain I have always used the cable *WITH* the Blackberry emblem to connect and sync before, but just by accident. Yesterday I used the second cable only because I'm out of town and the first cable was in a different computer bag out in the car.

After reading this thread I decided to go dig out the cable I knew worked previously. And it's working like a champ.

So, first, if there is a "malfunction" and an unrecognized USB device, I would suspect the USB cable. The connectors on the phone seem to be well made an unlikely to be easily damaged. I suspect the 'generic' cable I have was an 'equivalent' supplied by the factory during the packaging that isn't truly equivalent quality. Visual examination of the defective cable doesn't show any damage, and I'm not in a position to ring it out electrically to see if I can find anything.

The cable appears to be simply a straight wired passive device. I do not think there is any active electronics in the assembly. But that might not be true. If anyone knows specific details it would be interesting to find out.

Michael
    04-18-09 11:11 AM
    I'm having this same problem. Did you all figure it out? The weird thing is, it seemed to work at first on a Vista machine, but now the cradle won't work - the cable seems OK as it works if I plug it in directly to the BB. I bought this from Amazon but it is manufactured by BB. I bought two together, and the one at home works fine with XP. Any solutions yet?

10-23-09 07:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD