My needs for a car mount for my Storm to follow below. I'd appreciate any feedback on the best solution for my needs.

1. Can fit the Storm having silicone skin
    2. Easy access to the micro USB
    3. Easy access to the headset jack
    4. Easy access to the volume control buttons
    5. Easy removal of the whole mount (hide from would-be thieves; multi-car portability) and durable enough to handle daily mount/dismount.
    6. Any mounting method other than windshield (ie. vent, sticky pad). I don't like dash mounts (bean bags) for this purpose, but I'll consider it.

So far, my research through the various threads on this forum suggests that the best fit for my needs is the vent-mount Bracketron PHV-200-BL Grip-iT (Bracketron.com, Amazon.com), though I may have to forego Need #4.

To existing Bracketron vent-mount owners: how durable are the vent mount clips for frequent mount/dismount? How easy is it to mount/dismount?

Any other suggestions/feedback (Bracketron or other products)?

Many thanks!
    03-16-09 06:32 PM
    I have used the vent mount Bracketron. It is a decent mount. Sturdy and functional.

Skin will be no issue
    USB is no issue
    (I don't use the headset jack)
    Volume and convenience buttons are a bit hard to get at (sides are sdjustable, but even when exposed, it's not easy to hit the buttons - I generally pick the phone up to activate Vlingo etc)

It is durable, but I wouldn't take it out every day (why?). If you need it in multiple cars, buy 2.
    03-16-09 06:38 PM
    i bought the windshield model one, but my main uise is in my semi, so i wont be taking it out much ( the mount that is )..storm never leaves my side
    03-16-09 06:49 PM
    It is durable, but I wouldn't take it out every day (why?). If you need it in multiple cars, buy 2.
    Yes, I'd buy two for two cars. The frequent removal is for the car break-in prevention, for foolish thieves thinking that I have something worth stealing in the car whenever I park the car in public (which unfortunately is daily).

Something I forgot in my original post:
    * I'm ruling out cup-holder mounts as my car have a flimsy ring for a cup holder.
    * I'm using my Storm predominantly to stream Slacker Radio to the car's stereo.
    * I use the headset jack for the car that doesn't have the bluetooth/FM adapter (using the cassette adapter with headset plug instead).

Thanks for the inputs!
    03-16-09 07:32 PM
    Yes, I'd buy two for two cars. The frequent removal is for the car break-in prevention, for foolish thieves thinking that I have something worth stealing in the car whenever I park the car in public (which unfortunately is daily).

Something I forgot in my original post:
    * I'm ruling out cup-holder mounts as my car have a flimsy ring for a cup holder.
    * I'm using my Storm predominantly to stream Slacker Radio to the car's stereo.
    * I use the headset jack for the car that doesn't have the bluetooth/FM adapter (using the cassette adapter with headset plug instead).

Thanks for the inputs!
    Verizon sells one that is almost like Bracketron's (probably is made by them). They have 2 versions. Vent or windshield mount, $19.95 .
    03-16-09 07:55 PM
    Verizon sells one that is almost like Bracketron's (probably is made by them). They have 2 versions. Vent or windshield mount, $19.95 .
    Thanks. That's probably this one. The side "wings" don't seem to be adjustable to not block the side buttons/port (though has "access holes" through the padding) but otherwise similar to the Bracketron.

If you are using it, let me know how you like it.
    03-16-09 08:10 PM
    I have a windshield mount that is branded by Garmin. Fully adjustable using 6 grips: 2 on each side and 2 on the bottom. These slide along the outside edges so you can position them wherever they fit best. I have access to all buttons and ports. With a little practice, I am now able to insert the Storm with one hand. Works very well for me. Easy to remove from the windshield and reinstall.
    03-16-09 08:13 PM
    Car Mount Holder Cradle for Verizon Blackberry Storm - eBay (item 330307492578 end time Apr-13-09 11:39:47 PDT)

I bought this on ebay. One in each of my vehicles. One vent mount, one windshield mount. Works great. Great price.
    03-16-09 08:39 PM
    I bought the Verizon one. I did pay for one on ebay but it never appeared and I needed it for a trip - I didn't want to leave the storm sitting in a cup holder for the trip - well the date for the trip came up and no holder so I went down to the verzon store and bought their one for $19.99. Has the choice of mounting on the dashboard using the stem with adhesive pad or using the vent mount option.

The vent mount seems to hold the phone steady, I have to drive over road humps of various types and over rough ground and didn't have any major shaking.

It's a little awkward to take back off but if someone is that desperate to break into my vehicle they can have what's in there - but they won't get the storm.

By the way the one I bought ebay finally turned up but the post office wanted extra postage $16 - was shipped from Hong Kong and they didn't supply enough postage. I got the choice - pay the postage or refuse the package so I refused it and wouldn't buy anything else like that off ebay - there are too many crooks on there.
    03-16-09 09:23 PM
    I've been using the Bracketron vent mounted model for two weeks now. It suits me just fine. The only "issue" is it takes a little effort to mount it on to the vent. Nothing major...you won't break a sweat or anything. I wouldn't want to remove it and remount it every time I got out of the car though. And as others have eluded I'm not sure the rigid plastic clips were designed for that kind of wear and tear. I could see them eventually breaking under those conditions. Other than that I am very pleased with it. It's perfect for using the GPS.
    03-17-09 08:29 AM
    I use the bracketron. Works well. When I getout of the vehicle I just open it to the widest it'll go and its oncuis that its empty.
    03-17-09 11:49 AM
    Thanks. That's probably this one. The side "wings" don't seem to be adjustable to not block the side buttons/port (though has "access holes" through the padding) but otherwise similar to the Bracketron.

If you are using it, let me know how you like it.
    I have both the VZW and Bracketron. The VZW is fine perhaps the Bracketron is a little more rugged and the sides are adjustable as you mentioned. I probably would not spend any extra on the Bracketron though since the VZW is more than suffiient and yo can't beat the guarantee.
    03-17-09 01:58 PM
    Car Mount Holder Cradle for Verizon Blackberry Storm - eBay (item 330307492578 end time Apr-13-09 11:39:47 PDT)

I bought this on ebay. One in each of my vehicles. One vent mount, one windshield mount. Works great. Great price.
    Many thanks for everyone's feedback. I just bought one from the same eBay seller mentioned by fyrman49.

From the pictures, I originally couldn't figure out the purpose of the flat piece of transparent plastic on which the Storm's back would rest when mounted. I'm guessing it's a "photo holder" for when it's not holding a phone (as shown on this other listing).
    03-17-09 02:17 PM
    This company sells great mounts for specific cars. Works great.

kudausa - KUDA car custom color leather mounts for mobile electronics
    03-24-09 07:51 AM
    I use verizons vent mount and it works well. Taking it in and put isn't hard but you have to be careful not to snap anything but this goes for any brand since the pieces need to be small enough to wrap around the vent. The Verizon one gives you decent access to everything on the sides and too of the storm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-09 08:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD