I don't know how much they charge for the 'official' car charger but you can make your own for less than five bucks using two things from worldwideweb.monoprice.commercial (I tried to post individual product links but I am not allowed to do so because I don't have ten posts yet, maybe someone else can do this):

3 foot micro USB cable - $1.81 (buy a couple extra to use your computer to charge/sync)

USB cigarette lighter power port adapter - $1.10

Total cost $2.91 plus a reasonable shipping cost ($1.97 for me) brings the total to $4.88! I don't know if this is/was obvious to anyone but it's way cheaper than buying a car charger at the Verizon store!

While you are ordering from monoprice you can get a wall plug USB charging adapter for $1.90 and then you have a nice backup charger for your phone as well.
    12-17-08 08:36 AM
    it it's not obvious, for my link above substitute www for worldwideweb
    12-17-08 08:37 AM
    some people have run into problems using chargers that arent specifically verizon branded or meant for the storm... so be careful.
    12-17-08 08:38 AM
    You have to be nuts to use something like this on your Storm...I can also make a battery out of a potato and some wire. What are you going to save after getting the stuff shipped to you, $10?
    12-17-08 08:47 AM
    Yeah I tried charging the Storm with the USB cable it came with and a USB charging adapter, It doesn't work
    12-17-08 08:56 AM
    I don't know how much they charge for the 'official' car charger but you can make your own for less than five bucks using two things from worldwideweb.monoprice.commercial (I tried to post individual product links but I am not allowed to do so because I don't have ten posts yet, maybe someone else can do this):

3 foot micro USB cable - $1.81 (buy a couple extra to use your computer to charge/sync)

Total cost $2.91 plus a reasonable shipping cost ($1.97 for me) brings the total to $4.88! I don't know if this is/was obvious to anyone but it's way cheaper than buying a car charger at the Verizon store!

While you are ordering from monoprice you can get a wall plug USB charging adapter for $1.90 and then you have a nice backup charger for your phone as well.
    If you wire the USB cable directly into the cigarette plug, then yu will be connecting an unfused 13.2volt supply with almost umlimited amperage to a phone that requires 5 volts at 0.5 Amps.
    This is a formula for a disaster and I strongly reccomend that YOU DO NOT DO THIS EVER. Why?

As I said earlier the voltage is over twice what the phone is designed to handle and this will almot certainly fry your phone.
    If you accidentally short the unfused wires coming from your cigarette lighter socket then the most likely outcome is that you wil ljust blow a fuse in your car's fusebox. Do you know how to replace this? There are far worse things that could happen including a (very unlikely but just possible) burned out car.

I am glad that the OP cannot yet post links. The reason we do this is to help reduce spam with live links. In this case it may very well save some expensive phones.

If you need a car charger, buy a Motorola or a BlackBerry unit that is properly voltage stabilizedd to provide the standard USB voltage of 5Volts.

Other chargers sometimes work but these two makes always do. Do a search, there are loads of therads on the subject of charging BlackBerrys and what does and does not work.
    12-17-08 09:03 AM
    If you wire the USB cable directly into the cigarette plug, then yu will be connecting an unfused 13.2volt supply with almost umlimited amperage to a phone that requires 5 volts at 0.5 Amps.
    This is a formula for a disaster and I strongly reccomend that YOU DO NOT DO THIS EVER. Why?

As I said earlier the voltage is over twice what the phone is designed to handle and this will almot certainly fry your phone.
    If you accidentally short the unfused wires coming from your cigarette lighter socket then the most likely outcome is that you wil ljust blow a fuse in your car's fusebox. Do you know how to replace this? There are far worse things that could happen including a (very unlikely but just possible) burned out car.

I am glad that the OP cannot yet post links. The reason we do this is to help reduce spam with live links. In this case it may very well save some expensive phones.

If you need a car charger, buy a Motorola or a BlackBerry unit that is properly voltage stabilizedd to provide the standard USB voltage of 5Volts.

Other chargers sometimes work but these two makes always do. Do a search, there are loads of therads on the subject of charging BlackBerrys and what does and does not work.
    Wow. Monoprice equipment is very reliable. If you read the notes on the equipment he posted above, you'll notice the following:

Charger:

"Simply plug the charger into your car's cigarette lighter socket
    Built-in charging circuitry protects your car against back-flow current
    Charger fits both standard and auxiliary car power outlets
    LED charging indicator
    Made of Durable Hard Plastic
    Fast Charges and maximizes battery life
    Fits into any 12V accessories or car cigarette lighter jacks

For usewith all the Apple Ipod, Mp3 players, PDA all brands

Compatible with model : Apple Ipod Video, Nano, 3G, 4G, Photo, Mini, U2, PDA all brand, when used with your USB Charging Data Cable (Not Included)"

Cable:

This 3ft USB A to Micro USB B 5pin Cable provides one USB A Male connector, and one Micro USB B connector to create a simple way to connect mobile devices to a USB capable computer for every day tasks such as data synchronization and file transfers.

This Micro USB cable is for Motorola Data Cable.
    Compatible With
    Motorola: RAZR V8 / V9m / V9 / Q9 / Q9h / Q Global

Great replacement for the original Motorola SKN6238 cable
    Point being, the charger and cable are designed for charging PDAs. If it fried devices, they would pull the product.
    Last edited by paulmike3; 12-17-08 at 09:17 AM.
    12-17-08 09:14 AM
    Do whatever you want, it's your *** when the phone is fried. You have to be a total moron to build a car charger when you can buy a Motorola at about 100 places online for $5.00 to $10.00. A BB charger can be had for well below $20.00. If you are THAT hard strapped for cash, WTF are you doing with a Storm in the first place?

Again, to each his own, but we all know when you tank that phone you are going to cry to VZW for a replacement.
    12-17-08 10:09 AM

let me know if/when you fry your phone, how that works.

as for me, i'll stick with my blackberry branded car and wall chargers which i got for $12 each on ebay, including free shipping. at least then i trust my phone is getting the proper voltage and amperage without frying my phone.
    12-17-08 10:15 AM
    let me know if/when you fry your phone, how that works.

as for me, i'll stick with my blackberry branded car and wall chargers which i got for $12 each on ebay, including free shipping. at least then i trust my phone is getting the proper voltage and amperage without frying my phone.
    I didn't say I'm buying it, I was just stating that just because you've never heard of Monoprice, doesn't mean their cables/chargers will fry your phone. I've used their stuff on my $2K+ home theater, and have had 0 problems.

You're probably the same guy that buys $100 Monster HDMI cables. : points and laughs:
    12-17-08 10:30 AM
    I'm using some off brand USB car plug and My wife's LG micro USB cable to charge my storm in my car. Works like charm and I haven't fried mine. Since I use it daily, If it's going to fry my Storm, it should happen soon and I'll let you guys know... It's just a stupid phone,,,,
    12-17-08 10:37 AM
    I have bought and tried out 2 different USB AC wall adapters and neither have worked with the storm.. when it is plugged in it just freezes the Storm until I unplug it. No charging. Both were rated 5V at 1000mAh so they should technically have worked..
    12-18-08 03:14 PM
    It looks like some of you don't understand what the USB car port does. You see that little box that's on it? That has some nifty electronic gadgetry. What that is doing is stepping the voltage from 12 volts down to 5 volts. Not going to fry your phone charging it that way. It's the same thing that the Verizon/BB car charger does, except it's not one cable. With this you can use it to plug in the USB cable of an iPod, Zune etc.

I think calling someone a "moron" because you do not understand how electricity works is pretty damn rude.

I hate to see mis-information out there.

Monoprice is an EXCELLENT place to get cabling supplies, I've used them for a few things.
    01-02-09 10:13 AM
    they got car Chargers at wal mart for $6.00 i got one and it works fine
    01-02-09 10:19 AM
    i tired plugging in my storm to the usb cable (that came with my storm) to a cigarette adapter with a usb port. it didn't work.

it froze up my storm whenever it was "plugged in". once you removed it, it unfroze it. i havent' tried again.
    01-02-09 10:36 AM
    I have a spare Razr 2 car charger will that work for my Storm?
    01-02-09 10:40 AM
    no thanks

i spent $250 on this phone (still awaiting rebate)

I get charged additional $ monthly for a data plan

I'm not going to skimp out on an additional charger.........
    01-02-09 10:55 AM
    It looks like some of you don't understand what the USB car port does. You see that little box that's on it? That has some nifty electronic gadgetry. What that is doing is stepping the voltage from 12 volts down to 5 volts. Not going to fry your phone charging it that way. It's the same thing that the Verizon/BB car charger does, except it's not one cable. With this you can use it to plug in the USB cable of an iPod, Zune etc.

I think calling someone a "moron" because you do not understand how electricity works is pretty damn rude.

I hate to see mis-information out there.

Monoprice is an EXCELLENT place to get cabling supplies, I've used them for a few things.
    YAY- finally someone that has some sense.
    You took the words right out of my mouth.

It's sad when a mod flames you- nice one. Pete- if you would have read he wasn't "directly wiring the cable to the cigarette port"- Nowhere in his post did he even mention that. Most everyone knows that USB ports are 5VDC. A company that states their product can be used for various electronic devices powered with a USB- knows this as well- and if they were frying devices- well then they would have a big problem on their hand.

I read where people say "only use the VZW or BB charger and for the record- I do have the BB one- however I would have no problems using the one mentioned here. As everyone knows- again USB is 5VDC (specification provides for no more than 5.25 V and no less than 4.75 V between the positive and negative bus power lines.) However- this is the same that is coming from your computer! So- you are willing to plug it into any computer's port to charge it- but not from a company stating that they have a 12VDC ADAPTER (<~~ this word typically means it has a transformer to step down the voltage and amps)

Saving $10 is saving $10. I think its pisspoor character to flame someone for wanting to be thrifty. This forum has helped me greatly- and I hope that I have been able to help others. This gent was doing nothing more than trying to help- and pass on what he felt was good news.

Point is- USB pretty much has the same standards as far as powered devices go. Our Storm was made to be charged via a few different ways (wall charger, car charger, and USB from a computer. I can promise you- if you hooked all 3 of these up to a voltmeter- you would have some inconsistencies on all 3- however our little Storms, iPods/iPhones, cell phones, and any other electronic device do just fine.

I'm not normally a negative person- but this thread got to me- because someone tried to help- and a few (including a mod) shot him down.
    01-02-09 10:59 AM
    I do not use charges other then OEM ... I had a big issue one time and now I don't risck it anymore.
    01-02-09 11:02 AM
    i got one it works fine no possible way it will fry anything. I think a few people on here are a bit fry'd themselves
    01-02-09 11:18 AM
    Although I agree that saving $10 is nice, I can't say that going with a cheap charger is a good way to do it. Yes, it may work just fine, but you must look at QUALITY! Sure the 5 dollar charger works, but you get what you pay for, and if it is made from inferior parts, it may fail and short out! A co-worker of mine had plugged in a cheap charger from the flea market for his razr, and it ended up frying some wiring in his car instead of just blowing a fuse. Now he has other electrical issues to worry about! Honestly guys, there are other ways to save money and still get quality product (ebay) so don't take unneeded risks!
    01-02-09 11:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD