07-16-09 02:31 PM
38 12
tools
    So I realized something today. If The USB is in such a horrible location, how are they going to make a cradle for this bad boy? Laying horozontaly? I don't know, but this kinda sucks.
    07-14-09 06:15 PM
    a charging cradle you mean? look at the contacts on the back...
    07-14-09 06:16 PM
    So I realized something today. If The USB is in such a horrible location, how are they going to make a cradle for this bad boy? Laying horozontaly? I don't know, but this kinda sucks.
    Turn your Tour over. See the battery door latch? See the other 2 metal things on either side of the battery door latch. That will be the method for charging. The cradle will also have contacts to align with those and voila...contact and charge via cradle.
    07-14-09 06:16 PM
    They could always put the charge input in the side and have it slide in I suppose.
    Excellent idea, take a close look at the Onyx

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-09 06:27 PM
    Never owned a cradle, but don't they charge via the contacts on the back? And not the usb?

07-14-09 06:29 PM
    Telus has the powerstation for 9630, they're selling it for $29.99, which is a steal considering the one for Storm was $60
    Do you ahve the link for this? I could not find it.
    07-14-09 06:32 PM
    07-14-09 06:36 PM
    Don't cradles charge the device slower than USB? Because I heard that USB charging is faster. Can anyone confirm or deny?
    07-14-09 06:38 PM
    In store, I don't think it is on the website.
    Here it is:

BlackBerry original charging pod | Accessories | Phones | TELUS Mobility
    07-14-09 06:40 PM
    Don't cradles charge the device slower than USB? Because I heard that USB charging is faster. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Well i do know that AC is faster than via computer. but where a cradle would fit in this....idk.

the charge from USB on the computer is more of a trickle charge so its gonna be a little slower. but at the same time more complete.
    07-14-09 06:43 PM
    I dont see why it would matter. The USB plugs into the cradle. I suppose a cheap one may slow charging depending on how cheap they are.
    07-14-09 06:43 PM
    I had a cradle for my Curve and Storm, loved them! Will definitely get one for the Tour. If you have any Best Buy rewards to use up, you can get them for a steal that way. As Roscopcoletrain said, USB plugs into cradle, then phone sits in cradle and charges via contact points on cradle matching contact points on back of phone. I didn't notice a tremendous slow down in charge time, but then I tended to plop it on the cradle pretty much every night out of habit.

For traveling, with the Storm it made a great bedside clock when set to clock screen. Not so great with Curve, but with Tour software it can be the bedside clock/alarm again.

Handy as a holder just sitting on a desk, too!
    07-14-09 06:55 PM
    USB and Docks "prongs" are all linked together......

Using the dock the power plug will connect to the back of the dock and it will charge.
    07-14-09 06:55 PM
    Its not about the connection, its the power.

The storm charges via a USB connector with both wall and computer charging. The USB port on your computer puts out a fraction of what your wall charger does, which is why it charges your phone at a much slower rate.

I imagine a cradle that charges via the contacts on the back of the Tour will have the same USB port your phone does. Just like the storm cradle does.

Personally, I am glad the cradle won't require the phones USB port like the Storm did.. I hated that!

Jamie

07-14-09 07:03 PM
    Its not about the connection, its the power.

The storm charges via a USB connector with both wall and computer charging. The USB port on your computer puts out a fraction of what your wall charger does, which is why it charges your phone at a much slower rate.

I imagine a cradle that charges via the contacts on the back of the Tour will have the same USB port your phone does. Just like the storm cradle does.

Personally, I am glad the cradle won't require the phones USB port like the Storm did.. I hated that!

Jamie

I hate having to turn my Storm sideways to dock it in the cradle.

But if the Tour cradle is anything like the Curve 8900, then a) yes it will use the charging contacts by the battery door, and b) yes it will be able to plug into AC power -- just use the same AC adapter that you would use to charge your phone directly from a wall outlet. Most of the new BlackBerry cradles should (unless RIM goes entirely insane) use the same microUSB interface to connect to the power source as the phone itself.
    07-14-09 07:12 PM
    There was a RIM part number on the other thread for the 9630 charging dock. Same part # as the one for the Curve except the last two digits is 10.

07-14-09 07:23 PM
    Yes. This is defininatly on the "TO GET" list. That cradle is awesome for the Curve.
    07-14-09 07:30 PM
    I have the horizontal Blackberry cradle for my Storm...and it is sleak looking. That think from Amzer is a beast. Horrible looking in my opinion. And I got mine for $15.00 off of Amazon.com.
    07-14-09 07:30 PM
    I hate having to turn my Storm sideways to dock it in the cradle.
    Why? I think it is a cool and unique way to charge the Storm. I have mine on my bedside table and use it as a clock. Very trim and easy to see at night while still having a low profile. I hope the Storm 2 has a similar cradle...or better yet fits my existing Storm cradle.
    07-14-09 07:33 PM
    French is right on... All you have to do is wait until they come out with a cradle for the Tour, The mini USB will plug into the back of the cradle like they all do.
    07-14-09 07:36 PM
    I have the horizontal Blackberry cradle for my Storm...and it is sleak looking. That think from Amzer is a beast. Horrible looking in my opinion. And I got mine for $15.00 off of Amazon.com.
    I just posted it to show they make cradles that way.
    07-14-09 07:37 PM
    A cradle is a must have accessory. Saves from a lot of wear/tear of the USB port.
    07-14-09 10:16 PM

wish they had this for the storm... hate having to actually plug in the storm to the oem dock. i wanna just plop it in there....

07-14-09 10:41 PM
    Can't wait
    07-14-09 10:47 PM
    I don't know if anyone posted this but the sleep switch is by those contacts ( that's how the case that came with the tour can put the phone to sleep). I hope they use this with the cradle so the tour sleeps while its charging. Put a magnet by the left brass contact and your phone will sleep.

Also I am not responsible for anyone messing their phones up with magnets.

07-14-09 11:13 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD