07-19-11 11:38 AM
461 ... 16171819
tools
    Doesn't look like a good case for taking in and out of a pocket..
    03-29-09 12:17 AM
    I just bought the smart skin from case mate and I love it. Check out the guy on youtube who shows how cool it is.
    04-12-09 04:33 PM
    Once this case becomes available I think I might replace my Case mate skin with this. Innocase 360
    04-15-09 11:43 AM
    Knowing seidio, its definitely gonna cost more... Also sometimes their snap on cases are hit or miss.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-15-09 11:46 AM
    One major flaw with the Case mate skin is over time it stretches, and becomes loose so it doesn't fit as snug.
    04-15-09 11:51 AM
    Once this case becomes available I think I might replace my Case mate skin with this. Innocase 360
    I'm thinking the same thing!

Have been using my smart skin for a while. Usually take it out while at work (don't like using the trackball in the skin) and just started noticing tearing in the two top corners by the screen. Don't think this thing is going to stay together much longer...
    04-15-09 01:39 PM
    Every case type has their flaws. Hard plastic cases are far from exempt...
    04-15-09 02:19 PM
    Every case type has their flaws. Hard plastic cases are far from exempt...
    I never said they were exempt, of course everything has a con to it you just basically pick your poison.
    04-15-09 02:28 PM
    One major flaw with the Case mate skin is over time it stretches, and becomes loose so it doesn't fit as snug.
    I was just about to mention that in this post as I have started recently noticing that. It makes it tricky to type and use the trackball at times now. But I can't really complain about it too much as it perks outweigh its flaws to me. My BOLD took a pretty good fall on pavement the other day with the case on and it literally bounced causing no damage to the phone.
    04-15-09 04:13 PM
    I just received my case (purple) this evening. I am loving it so far. Like others have mentioned; the trackball is more recessed, which may take me a while to get used to. I believe that is the only annoying deal about it for me. It collects waaay less dust and pocket lint than the silicone case I bought at the ATT store. It is also way less bulky than that other case.

I also purchased a Seidio Innocase (burgundy) snap on hard shell. I figure depending on my mood I can switch up my colors. However, being a snap on hard shell, it does not have the supposed shock resistance of a soft shell.

Added bonus of the purple Case Mate Smart Skin is that it indeed fits into the Seidio Innocase Holster without issue!!!
    04-16-09 01:51 AM
    I was just about to mention that in this post as I have started recently noticing that. It makes it tricky to type and use the trackball at times now. But I can't really complain about it too much as it perks outweigh its flaws to me. My BOLD took a pretty good fall on pavement the other day with the case on and it literally bounced causing no damage to the phone.
    Mine has already stretched in under a month. It's quite annoying, but fortunately the keys still work fine. It's mainly the screen portion that has shifted slightly. I can now read the word "Blackberry" above the screen. It used to be completely covered by the silicone.
    04-22-09 03:29 PM
    I just read every single post in this thread....I am still undecided.

I like the idea of the Casemate Smart Skin, but a recessed trackball and stretched skin combined with not being able to fit in from my holster are a problem.

Not to mention I live in Canada, and reading all of the previous posts that is a shipping problem.
    04-23-09 11:13 PM
    I just bought it from ebay.
    If it works and I like it then that is good. If not, well at least I tried it
    04-25-09 03:23 PM
    At least the case is pretty cheap.
    04-25-09 03:39 PM
    I prefer the Regular rubber skins to the Smart case. It's nice, don't get me wrong, but it makes it difficult to use the trackball. I just couldn't get used to it.
    04-25-09 03:47 PM
    Just ordered mine today from the Crackberry store with the sale going on, Gets here thursday, can't it, hopefully the trackball depth is not too much of a hassle for me. My brand new Bold needs some protection.

04-28-09 03:15 PM
    I ordered the CaseMate Carbon fiber leather case instead, since I don't want to hamper the keyboard backlight or trackball use. Also I'm quite confident this case won't stretch considering it's rigid-ness =P
    04-28-09 03:18 PM
    I ordered the CaseMate Carbon fiber leather case instead, since I don't want to hamper the keyboard backlight or trackball use. Also I'm quite confident this case won't stretch considering it's rigid-ness =P
    Ditto... Ordered it last night, should be here by thursday.
    04-28-09 03:26 PM
    Just a fyi, it's about $10 cheaper on ebay, plus no taxes and s/h, so it's probably about $15 cheaper.
    04-28-09 03:28 PM
    I am still waiting for mine, I am just going to see if I like it. If not I just will not use it, and continue my quest for further protection.
    04-28-09 09:00 PM
    I bought maine about a week ago and I love it. I got mine from cellguru.com which saved me about $5, I also bought the screen protector from case-mate while I like it I have a few gripes about it. it is a privacy screen so it kind of dims the screen a bit but not so much that it is a major problem, As for the case while the recessed track ball is a little annoying it doesn't make a huge diff I play all the games on my phone with almost no handicap because of it, as for the keyboard backlight the case is designed to allow light to shine through so its not an issue at all. I highly recommend both products to anyone especially people who have jobs that increase the abuse the phones take, I am a mechanic at a glass factory.

Last edited by kentusmc; 04-30-09 at 06:12 AM.
    04-30-09 06:06 AM
    I got the case-mate smart skin off ebay and it came with a screen protector. I got the HTC leather pouch Model: 82024BB from Best Buy because it was big enough for the Bold to fit inside with the smart skin on and it has the magnet to shut the screen off. The skin does take a little getting used to on the trackball but I am starting feel comfortable with it. Just can not do the big quick scroll thrus.....spacebar more now....
    04-30-09 10:23 PM
    Just got my Case-Mate Smart Skin for my Bold. Very nice, I'm mostly happy with it.

Disappointments:
    1. Installing the screen protector isn't as easy as it looks. Put on your glasses, try to work in a dust-free area (good luck with that!) under a lot of light, get out the ol' Swiss Army Knife. It isn't an "intuitive" process. They should include three with each Smart Skin, just because you're likely to ruin 2 before you get the hang of it.

2. The side cut-outs aren't ideal. They kind of miss the sockets. Kind of. But kind of not.

3. The thinnest portion of the rubber is a bit under-tight. (Does that make sense?) Worst part is the portion of the Smart Skin which rests on the left of the screen, on the top face of the BB, smack between the cut-out for the power socket and the screen. It's mildly loose. I'd post a picture but going through the hassle would annoy me and I'm already ADD so to heck with it.

4. It's picking up grime / dirt. This thing is made out of the same material that covers your bicycle handle-bars, probably; or that makes up the "tacky foot" of your car travel coffee mug. It's a rubber / nylon stuff. I got the RED Smart Skin, and it shows dirt pretty easily. I'm glad I didn't get the SILVER or WHITE.

Advantages:
    1. Comes with a screen protector. I like the fact that they thought of that, instead of trying to nickel-and-dime you by asking, "Did you want fries a screen protector with that?"

2. Fits exactly. The keyboard button covers operate exactly over the keyboard buttons just as designed.

3. Like Tigger: bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy. Very good protection. Especially on the corners, where a BB is most likely to strike a hard surface if you drop it.

4. Easy to install. Very simple to slip the BB into the case, no issues.

5. Nubbly / corrugated / textured. It is NOT smooth plastic. Rather, it is embossed / etched / moulded with a "no slip" or "grippy" surface cross-hatching.

6. Comes with a 2x1.5 inch dust cloth. (Same material as Ray-Ban brand sunglasses wipe cloth.) I tucked this inside the Smart Skin on the back of the BB. Helps tighten the snugness of fit.

Recommendations for improvement:
    1. Snugness at the thin parts. Or maybe, some tacky-pads (made of that same white putty/gum material that college kids use to put up their dorm room posters?) to non-permanently glue the hidden inner faces of the Smart Skin to the BB?

2. Reinforcement inside the corners: install a "shock pad" at each of the eight points of maximum likely impact.

3. More screen protectors. For the next six weeks I'll be looking at a nice projected image of the reverse of my right thumb print every time I use the "Torch" app ...
    05-02-09 10:27 AM
    I just read every single post in this thread....I am still undecided.

I like the idea of the Casemate Smart Skin, but a recessed trackball and stretched skin combined with not being able to fit in from my holster are a problem.

Not to mention I live in Canada, and reading all of the previous posts – that is a shipping problem.
    Some of the Case Mate products are now availble in Canada through Wireless Wave and T Booth. I just picked up the Smart Skin for $29.99 plus tax they also carry the Signature Leather Case/Holster Combo for $49.99 plus tax. So far Ive tried 3 other cases and I think I am finally gonna be happy with this Smart Skin alternating with the OEM holster.

Go Cellular .ca online (sorry cant post links yet) also has a good assortment of accessories and offers reasonable shipping costs and prices for customers in Canada.
    Last edited by ak29; 05-02-09 at 03:24 PM.
    05-02-09 03:18 PM
    If she hasn't had it very long tell her to be VERY careful when taking the phone in or out of the skin. I had my skin one my 8320 for ONE day when I pulled it out to do a battery pull, and as I was sliding the phone back in, it tore right above the trackball cutout. Now I'm not some dumb*** who tried to just shove it in or anything. I'm always VERY careful with my phones, and well everything! I've even replaced the housing on my phone 5 or 6 times with absolutely no issues! Anyway, needless to say I was livid. I wrote Case Mate an email about the whole deal, and still waiting to see what their Customer Support is like. Hopefully I got a defective one, and they really aren't that delicate, because if they are how the heck are they supposed to truly protect your phone?
    I've had mine for almost two weeks now and it's tearing on that area as well, don't know how long it will last... (how long is this thing supposed to last anyway?)

Let us know about what Case-Mate says about this.
    05-07-09 08:40 AM
461 ... 16171819
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD