07-19-11 10:38 AM
461 ... 910111213 ...
tools
    here is a picture taken in a pitch black room:

as you can clearly see, the numbers the numbers are the only characters you can really notice. and sorry for the blurryness of the characters; it is due to the depth of field from the camera. all characters are sharp just like the pictures shown on case-mate.
    01-23-09 01:11 AM
    Mine does not look like that in the dark. (See attached photo)
    One point about regarding the settings, there is an option to auto dim the keyboard & backlighting in low low conditions. I choose to disable this feature so the screen is always set to the brightest setting. Although it may drain the battery a bit more during peak light conditions, I can see the keys better when it is dark even with the skin on.
    Last edited by gaganchow; 01-23-09 at 05:10 AM. Reason: Poor Picture Quality
    01-23-09 02:43 AM
    The settings I reference in the post above are found in the options menun then select display/keyboard>backlight adjustment auto/off.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-23-09 08:25 AM
    BDK:
    Based on your picture posted above, maybe you have a defective one. I am really surprised on the poor visabilty of most of your keys.

01-23-09 02:14 PM
    is yours that clear under low light conditions? my picture was taken with the the backlight autoadjustment off, and the screen brightness at 100, yet it is still barely visible. if so, im thinking about contacting case-mate possibly a new case...
    01-23-09 02:20 PM
    With mine the only thing not really visible in dark settings is the "1". I also think it might me the camera BDK is using so everything won't stand out
    01-23-09 02:27 PM
    my camera is fine; i only altered the settings on it to show my perspective of how it looks like in real life. i could have easily shown a picture on a slow shutter speed so the camera can collect as much light as possible, but then again it would look like there was nothing wrong with it. the keys that i can notice in the dark on my case-mate (with the backlight auto adjustment off and brightness to the max) without any trouble are the numbers. all the other keys seem to have a little glow, but barely enough to see what they are.
    01-23-09 02:32 PM
    It could be the case or the light in your keyboard is just naturally dimmer. When I had a my Att branded Bold and my current Rogers unlocked Bold side by side I did notice my Rogers one was slightly brighter with the same exact settings.

I would take a picture for you but I sold the ATT Bold over a month ago
    01-23-09 02:55 PM
    I did not use a high-quality camera to shoot the image or make any picture adjustments. As you can probably tell by the "mirror image," I used the web cam on my laptop.
    01-23-09 03:36 PM
    I just got my smartskin, I'm pretty disappointed with the cutaway holes at the side. They are not very sharp cuts, they look like they were cut with an amatuer pair of scissors.

I guess you can't ask for much from a silicon case, it can't be perfect because cutting it is not easy, even with a blade or laser.

Just so you guys know, it's not as sleek as it looks in the picture. Under close inspection, the side holds are not perfectly shaped.
    01-23-09 04:31 PM
    Yeah, I am really not a fan of this smart skin case. It just looks awkward to me for some reason.
    01-23-09 07:05 PM
    I find that the pros outway the cons with this skin. Even though it dims the keyboard backlighting a bit, attracts dust & lint and the trackball is recessed in the skin, the level of protection offered, the enhanced typing comfort and overall feel are well worth it.
    I also find it easy to remove when I store it in the stand.

01-23-09 08:59 PM
    I find that the pros outway the cons with this skin. Even though it dims the keyboard backlighting a bit, attracts dust & lint and the trackball is recessed in the skin, the level of protection offered, the enhanced typing comfort and overall feel are well worth it.
    I also find it easy to remove when I store it in the stand.

The dust and lint on these things have always made me cringe. However, I can see how you would love the protection factor.
    01-23-09 09:03 PM
    I just got my skin (15$ off ebay). some first impressions; I'm finding it a bit difficult adjusting to using the trackball with the skin. Rolling isn't too bad, but clicking is a bit of an issue - have to use my nail and push directly on the ball. I'm also finding it quite difficult to see the key lighr in the dark. As I type this I'm relying more on key memory than seeing the letter. One pro is that I do really like the feel of the keys in the skin.

Protection wise my phone feels like a tank in this thing, and it's much easier to carry around than the original case it came with.

Slipping it in and out is quite easy, so I'm thinking I'm going to use it when I'm on the move and take it out when at home and at work.

All in all not great, but for 15$ can't really complain.

01-23-09 10:39 PM
    Many of the retail stores carry the low-end silicon skins ranging in price from $10 - $20.
    For the price, I think the smart skin is a good value. The generic skins seem cheaply made as they tear easily & offer no protection for the keyboard.
    By no means is the case mate smart skin perfect but I do believe it is the best skin available at this time.

01-23-09 10:56 PM
    It could be the case or the light in your keyboard is just naturally dimmer. When I had a my Att branded Bold and my current Rogers unlocked Bold side by side I did notice my Rogers one was slightly brighter with the same exact settings.

I would take a picture for you but I sold the ATT Bold over a month ago
    ahhh, that could possibly be it... i emailed case-mate just in case; they emailed me back saying that my case is "undergoing review."
    01-24-09 03:25 AM
    Well hopefully they exchange it for you, and don't try to give you the run around.
    01-24-09 04:05 AM
    After dealing with case mate for the past couple of years, I find their customer service to be reasonable.
    I have mostly handled issues by email but was able to resolve them quickly.

01-24-09 08:03 AM
    Maybe they had bad lots of cases distributed or poor quality control for a while. I can assure you that the quality of my skin is OK and I have not had any issues with the quality whatsoever.

I suggest you send it back and get a replacement.
    01-24-09 02:41 PM
    Is the going rate on Ebay for the smart skin about $15? With that prices usually includes shipping too?
    01-24-09 09:35 PM
    Nevermind...I think I answered my own question about the Ebay pricing on these skins. The only negative I notice is that they are all the same color!
    01-25-09 06:47 AM
    Dr. Bold:

Any resolution on your missing skin?
    01-26-09 03:05 AM
    Maybe they had bad lots of cases distributed or poor quality control for a while. I can assure you that the quality of my skin is OK and I have not had any issues with the quality whatsoever.

I suggest you send it back and get a replacement.
    hopefully thats the case, but they still havent emailed me back yet... and its been a week since i emailed them twice. but hopefully they will respond soon
    01-26-09 03:19 AM
    I take it that you need a RMA # to return the case for an exchange?
    01-26-09 05:45 AM
    Any good news yet Dr. Bold?
    01-27-09 10:52 PM
461 ... 910111213 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD