Hey,

I tried searching, I'm wondering if the next time someone on here orders a skin for the curve, (since its just a sticker) can you scan and post the image so I (and everyone else who would be interested) can make my own custom skin without having to put an Exacto blade to my device?

-D
    01-06-09 05:49 PM
    ok, after a couple of days and all the love (major sarcasm) ive gotten with this idea, ive found what i was looking for and it works like a charm...

all u need is a printer for the cutout, some decal paper (or whatever u want to use), an exacto knife and a creative mind...

im working on mine and will have pics by the back end of this week...

Last edited by ramgoat; 01-11-09 at 08:47 PM.
    01-11-09 08:28 PM
    image size im using is 1625x1475
    01-11-09 08:34 PM
    Stealing other people's copyrighted intellectual property is generally frowned upon.

Did the folks at DecalGirl give you permission to post their work?
    01-11-09 09:14 PM
    Is the measurement template for a mass-produced electronic device considered intellectual property? It wasn't when I was in law school.....
    01-11-09 10:53 PM
    Yeah, it would be best for you to buy your own skins from decalgirl.com or skinit.com!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-11-09 10:58 PM
    Stealing other people's copyrighted intellectual property is generally frowned upon.

Did the folks at DecalGirl give you permission to post their work?
    Not only is it frowned upon, it's illegal. Duh...
    01-11-09 11:23 PM
    woa...ok guys, just was trying to support and help out (no need to be dicks about it)...and i believe the image is available publicly...

thanks for the support (more sarcasm)....

pics of mine will be up soon..!
    01-12-09 05:37 PM
    I'm pretty sure that if it's available for public download, and the downloader is not making any profit off of the file and instead keeping it for private use, then it's fine.

Although it may not be illegal, it's always nice to let the originator know when 'intellectual property' is being re-distributed, as it is in this thread.

It's a grey-area really, and most people aren't aware. Being a graphic designer, I've run into the problem a few times before...all cases being friendly mistakes...it's flattering, really...haha...
    01-12-09 07:00 PM
    well since the pic is in public domain and also has copyrights on the side, you can all go back to sniffing your own farts cause all is well and nothing to be snotty about.
    01-12-09 07:40 PM
    I'm pretty sure that if it's available for public download, and the downloader is not making any profit off of the file and instead keeping it for private use, then it's fine.

Although it may not be illegal, it's always nice to let the originator know when 'intellectual property' is being re-distributed, as it is in this thread.

It's a grey-area really, and most people aren't aware. Being a graphic designer, I've run into the problem a few times before...all cases being friendly mistakes...it's flattering, really...haha...
    Sorry, ncastoro, you're mistaken. As someone who had to hire a trademark attorney in order to get another company to stop using my copyrighted AND trademarked logo and company name, I know a fair amount on the subject. Decalgirl obviously DOES care about people downloading their templates or they wouldn't have bothered copyrighting them. Their copyright notice is right ON the template. (Look at the template he posted and you can read it along the right side.) "Copyrighted" means decalgirl *owns the rights* to the templates, and they don't want people using or copying them. Trust me, there's nothing "grey" about it.

That said, you can always email decalgirl and *ask* for permission to copy their templates. If they say it's OK, cool.

ramgoat woa...ok guys, just was trying to support and help out (no need to be dicks about it)...and i believe the image is available publicly...

thanks for the support (more sarcasm)....

pics of mine will be up soon..!
    I don't see any way you're "supporting" and "helping out" by posting copyrighted material. No one was being a **** but you, and an immature one at that. You want to be patted on the back for doing something illegal. Sorry, not gonna happen.

Now if you told us you had written permission from decalgirl to post their template, that would be something else.
    01-12-09 07:40 PM
    If he is making his own skin for personal use and not profit, its perfectly legal. Its called "fair use".

01-12-09 07:47 PM
    That's fine and everything, Cheeto, but why would decalgirl post a free, downloadable (and what looks like printable) template on their website if they don't want anyone using it?
    01-12-09 08:03 PM
    If he is making his own skin for personal use and not profit, its perfectly legal. Its called "fair use".

Nope. Sorry, according to copyright.gov:

Section 107 also sets out four factors to be considered in determining whether or not a particular use is fair:

1. the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
    2. the nature of the copyrighted work;
    3. amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
    4. the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.
    You can view the entire page here.
    01-12-09 08:07 PM
    Here's what the usage of those templates is intended for.

Clearly, making your own skin is not covered. It's not fair use. And certainly posting it here is not covered.

What To Do With These Files - DecalGirl.com Forums

What To Do With These Files - 10-02-2005 , 07:34 PM

These files are meant for you to create your own artwork, then send it in to us to have a high-quality, custom skin made using the design you've created. They're not intended or meant for any other purpose.

Once you create a design, flatten the image (Photoshop versions) with the cut line turned off. Zip and email to the file to customs@decalgirl.com so that we can review the image to make sure there are no issues (copyrights, proper resolution, etc) and one of our representatives will then email you a link with ordering instructions.

Thanks!
    Ryan
    01-12-09 08:09 PM
    That's fine and everything, Cheeto, but why would decalgirl post a free, downloadable (and what looks like printable) template on their website if they don't want anyone using it?
    That's a good question, and of course, since I don't work for decalgirl, I have no idea. Asked another way, tho, why would they bother to copyright the templates if they didn't want anyone copying them? They (decalgirl) could easily remove that text from the templates if they didn't care, right?
    Last edited by Cheeto; 01-12-09 at 08:16 PM. Reason: to clarify a sentence
    01-12-09 08:10 PM
    Right on, that took heart. Thanks for the info, Cheeto!

edit: And yes, people could easily remove the copyright info. For the well-informed, it's quite clear. For the not-so-informed, like the original poster, things aren't as crystal.
    Last edited by ncastoro; 01-12-09 at 08:13 PM. Reason: original post was toooo slow.
    01-12-09 08:10 PM
    Right on, that took heart. Thanks for the info, Cheeto!
    You're welcome.

I'm not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers here; I'd just like the info that gets posted to be correct. (Not just in this thread, but in all threads.)

Motorcycle Mama has just posted the rules for copying decalgirl's templates (thanks, MM!!), so that should put the template issue to rest.
    01-12-09 08:14 PM
    CDR templates Blackberry for cutting of skins and protective films for telephones and tablets.
    06-11-14 04:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD