07-22-08 01:01 PM
47 12
tools
    Clearly the Seidio battery doesn't allow the battery cover to sit flush. Anyone else experienced this? I already emailed seidio but I was just wondering if anyone here had the same thing.
    Karp,

I checked with our engineers and what you're seeing is normal. Creating a battery with more capacity is very difficult, and if we could make it thinner we would. Unfortunately this would also dramatically reduce the capacity, and until now, our customers haven't really seen it as a problem. As a matter of fact, as you can read in some posts here, some people actually prefer it and state that it feels more solid. At the end of the day, I guess it's just personal preference.

If you're unhappy with your battery, please send your contact and original order information to forum@seidio.com and I can arrange for you to return it for a refund.

Thanks,
    07-17-08 03:26 PM
    Mine is working fine.
    07-17-08 03:33 PM
    The manufacturer should have jumped in months and months ago when several people were posting having this exact same problem. What is engineering going to do NOW!! I am sure there are thousands and thousands of these batteries already at stores waiting to be sold. Seidio is only doing damage control. Business 101. Just my opinion.
    Tennit,

I apologize if I missed a post, but I volunteer on this forum to answer questions and take care of customers when I can. I'm extremely busy and don't always have time to read every post in the dozen or so forums I read. This is also why I list an email at the bottom of every post. This is something I do see every day.

In regards to the battery, except for this post, I simply haven't seen a mass of complaints. As a matter of fact, it's one of the most popular products we've ever had.

Forums can be pretty brutal, but we come here because we truly care about our customers. Some may call it damage control...we call it customer service.

If you're unhappy with your battery, please email your contact and original order information to forum@seidio.com and I'll be happy to see what I can do for you.
    07-17-08 03:44 PM
    Seidio,

Just out of curiosity. I know you been looking at this thread so i figured i would ask. People have mentioned that the battery charging instructions are incorrect and should not be followed because it could harm the battery. Saying that the deep charge cycles recommended in the included pamplet with the battery are simply just "urban legends". Could you follow up on this and perhaps give us specific instructions on how the battery should be charged and maintained? Is there a problem with deep cycles, or topping it off at night?

Also, thanks for the response to my issue. I appreciate you taking the inititive here and sending me out a new door.
    07-17-08 04:33 PM
    Seidio,

Just out of curiosity. I know you been looking at this thread so i figured i would ask. People have mentioned that the battery charging instructions are incorrect and should not be followed because it could harm the battery. Saying that the deep charge cycles recommended in the included pamplet with the battery are simply just "urban legends". Could you follow up on this and perhaps give us specific instructions on how the battery should be charged and maintained? Is there a problem with deep cycles, or topping it off at night?

Also, thanks for the response to my issue. I appreciate you taking the inititive here and sending me out a new door.
    Shory,

We recommend that you charge our battery overnight the first time (about 8 hours). After that we list that you should see an improvement in about 5-6 charge cycles. We're just talking about standard charging cycles, (coming home at night and putting it on a charger), not deep cycles (draining it completely). It sounds like maybe this is confusing some people.

Lithium batteries like to be charged and charged often, and they're not affected by memory problems like older nicad and nimh cells. Their performance is also not linear, so they typically perform best above 40%. All lithiums will drop off quicker below this point.

I have read that some people claim that deep cycling their batteries every few months helps to calibrate the phone to recognizing the extended battery better, but I haven't really had a chance to test this theory.

I would recommend that you go about your day's business, then drop it into a charger at night. This is my regular routine and my batteries are working great.

I hope I answered your question.

Thanks,
    07-18-08 10:03 AM
    Tennit,

I apologize if I missed a post, but I volunteer on this forum to answer questions and take care of customers when I can. I'm extremely busy and don't always have time to read every post in the dozen or so forums I read. This is also why I list an email at the bottom of every post. This is something I do see every day.

In regards to the battery, except for this post, I simply haven't seen a mass of complaints. As a matter of fact, it's one of the most popular products we've ever had.

Forums can be pretty brutal, but we come here because we truly care about our customers. Some may call it damage control...we call it customer service.

If you're unhappy with your battery, please email your contact and original order information to forum@seidio.com and I'll be happy to see what I can do for you.
    I suppose we can agree to disagree. The reason it is one of your most popular products is because you don't have much competition in this area. I would guess if you had a viable competitor, your engineers, who "don't see a problem at this time", would spend a lot more time on cleaning up the fit and finish of this product. Just my opinion.
    07-18-08 10:59 AM
    I have the OEM Sized Seidio battery and it is slightly thicker then the OEM Sized battery. I was able to get my battery door to fit perfectly by removing the padded sticker on the backside of the battery door.

-David
    07-18-08 11:54 AM
    I suppose we can agree to disagree. The reason it is one of your most popular products is because you don't have much competition in this area. I would guess if you had a viable competitor, your engineers, who "don't see a problem at this time", would spend a lot more time on cleaning up the fit and finish of this product. Just my opinion.
    Actually this wasn't an oversight or us being lazy...it was a matter of necessity. In other words, if we could've made the battery thinner, we absolutely would have. I can't go into the engineering of our batteries, but I will tell you that it's not a matter of just "shaving a little bit off the top".

At the end of the day we had to decide if the tolerance was close enough for our customers or if we just ditch the project all together. I can assure you that any competitor trying to build the same battery would not have been able to create the battery any thinner.

Thanks,
    07-18-08 12:16 PM
    That's good stuff when the manufacturer jumps on to try and resolve the problem quickly.
    Exit, this is NOT quick. Seidio has been selling their OEM sized fitting battery like this for a while now, and believe me, this is not the first complaint about it. Most people shrug it off because of the battery itself, but there are others who feel that the size is being misrepresented.

And for those that are upset about it, you should be. The other issue is that many sites sell Seidios battery, yet if you didnt buy it direct from Seidio, you are re-directed back to where you purchased it from. I call that cat-n-mouse; bottom line, its their battery no matter what site you bought it from and if there are any defects, Seidio should honor that.

I will truly be watching this thread closely. Like I said, this is not a new issue and out of all the batteries sold, they cant possibly come here and act like this is the first they've heard of the problem. That really is an insult to the people who paid good money for a flawed design!

Just like he appeared here, Seidio has seen this issue on many smartphone forums because the majority of its buyers all frequent the same forums.
    Last edited by ScandaLeX; 07-18-08 at 12:24 PM.
    07-18-08 12:19 PM
    Actually this wasn't an oversight or us being lazy...it was a matter of necessity. In other words, if we could've made the battery thinner, we absolutely would have. I can't go into the engineering of our batteries, but I will tell you that it's not a matter of just "shaving a little bit off the top".

At the end of the day we had to decide if the tolerance was close enough for our customers or if we just ditch the project all together. I can assure you that any competitor trying to build the same battery would not have been able to create the battery any thinner.

Thanks,
    I'm not an engineer, but I have an idea how to make your battery thinner, offer at a smaller size to achieve the proper fit and continuity. It would still be very close to what you offer now, and would give you a much better fit and finish. I have read many threads of people complaining about bulging, lifting, and having to peel backing tape off to get a proper fit. How many customers do you not here from who just live with it? In my opinion, you do nothing about it because you have no direct viable competition. If you did, and began to lose market share to that competitior with the same battery but better fit, would your enginners still think it was a non issue? I think not.

Exit, this is NOT quick. Seidio has been selling their OEM sized fitting battery like this for a while now, and believe me, this is not the first complaint about it. Most people shrug it off because of the battery itself, but there are others who feel that the size is being misrepresented.

And for those that are upset about it, you should be. The other issue is that many sites sell Seidios battery, yet if you didnt buy it direct from Seidio, you are re-directed back to where you purchased it from. I call that cat-n-mouse; bottom line, its their battery no matter what site you bought it from and if there are any defects, Seidio should honor that.

I will truly be watching this thread closely. Like I said, this is not a new issue and out of all the batteries sold, they cant possibly come here and act like this is the first they've heard of the problem. That really is an insult to the people who paid good money for a flawed design!

Just like he appeared here, Seidio has seen this issue on many smartphone forums because the majority of its buyers all frequent the same forums.
    I completely agree!!!
    07-18-08 01:07 PM
    I have the 1500 batter in my 8330 and have a very good fit. For the benefit any minor fit difference is not an issue. It might be nice to have a 1500/Seido back combo matching the 2600 package since their door probably doesn't have the foam that needs to eb peeled off. Any chance of a package deal Seido?
    07-18-08 02:18 PM
    I have the 1500 batter in my 8330 and have a very good fit. For the benefit any minor fit difference is not an issue. It might be nice to have a 1500/Seido back combo matching the 2600 package since their door probably doesn't have the foam that needs to eb peeled off. Any chance of a package deal Seido?
    The missing point here is that an OEM sized battery should not need additional doors in roder for it to fit properly; if thats the case, then you dont have an OEM sized anything.

Besides, a "door" is not going to help the situation. You're still faced with the "battery" itself being the problem...niot the door.
    07-18-08 03:14 PM
    Point taken the fact of the matter is I have no OEM door issues with my 8330 with the Seido OEM battery. Is it an 8330 vs other 83xx issues? I've read the 8320 and 8310 may be marginally smaller?

I think this is sort of a mountain out of a mole hill. What exactly unless you stare at the back of the phone is so intolerable (referring to picture)?
    07-18-08 03:18 PM
    Point taken the fact of the matter is I have no OEM door issues with my 8330 with the Seido OEM battery. Is it an 8330 vs other 83xx issues? I've read the 8320 and 8310 may be marginally smaller?

I think this is sort of a mountain out of a mole hill. What exactly unless you stare at the back of the phone is so intolerable (referring to picture)?
    I have an 8330 and I have the bulge. I've just accepted it and moved on, but it is a tad bit annoying. I bought the Seidio OEM-sized door with the hope that it would work better, but it doesn't sit flush on one of the sides, so I've junked that...
    07-18-08 04:49 PM
    Seidio has designed a product that is 99% a dimensionally identical product to the OEM battery. This is apparently quite difficult to do, or else other companies would be offering competitor products that do give a better fit and finish. For the most part, very slight imperfections would likely be covered up by various cases that many phones sit in.

Battery covers on most phones wrap around the side, and there's some play. The battery cover of Blackberries are extremely unforgiving, as they sit flush with a beveled edge. Moreover, many PDA owners are extremely critical and insist on perfection. It's basically wearing spandex bicycle shorts, and over-critical fashion designers are pointing out that it looks a little fat.

Seidio has done a great job here engineering a battery that lasts longer than the stock version. If you don't like it, don't buy it. If you think you can do it better, then make one and we'll all buy it from you.

If you really want to do some custom work, get a Dremel and shave down some of the inside of the battery door. It could lose at least 1/8 mm without any ill effects.
    Last edited by korbas12; 07-20-08 at 05:55 PM.
    07-20-08 05:49 PM
    ^ If you dont like it dont buy it? Funny that you should mention that considering for many, it wasnt known until after purchase. Based on your post, because its Seidio, the people who bought the battery should be forgiving.

I think people would be forgiving if Seidio were to acknowledge or even post it on their website that your battery door wont fit properly. It's not as if this is an isolated case and one or two people are complaining.

That 99% you award Seidio with has nothing to do with the fact that they want 100% of your money while selling an item that doesnt fit properly. Why not called it slightly OEM sized instead of fooling the consumer?
    07-20-08 06:01 PM
    Seidio has designed a product that is 99% a dimensionally identical product to the OEM battery. This is apparently quite difficult to do, or else other companies would be offering competitor products that do give a better fit and finish. For the most part, very slight imperfections would likely be covered up by various cases that many phones sit in.

Battery covers on most phones wrap around the side, and there's some play. The battery cover of Blackberries are extremely unforgiving, as they sit flush with a beveled edge. Moreover, many PDA owners are extremely critical and insist on perfection. It's basically wearing spandex bicycle shorts, and over-critical fashion designers are pointing out that it looks a little fat.

Seidio has done a great job here engineering a battery that lasts longer than the stock version. If you don't like it, don't buy it. If you think you can do it better, then make one and we'll all buy it from you.

If you really want to do some custom work, get a Dremel and shave down some of the inside of the battery door. It could lose at least 1/8 mm without any ill effects.
    Your point is respectfully taken. I would ask you to review the OP pictures that he provides. I would venture to say, that in his situation, his battery is off by more than 1%. Along with all the other complaints that we have heard from posters here and in other forums, that Seidio's response of "if you don't like it , return it" is unfortunate. IMO, they simply would not have that attitude if they had a viable competitor.
    07-20-08 07:39 PM
    Your point is respectfully taken. I would ask you to review the OP pictures that he provides. I would venture to say, that in his situation, his battery is off by more than 1%. Along with all the other complaints that we have heard from posters here and in other forums, that Seidio's response of "if you don't like it , return it" is unfortunate. IMO, they simply would not have that attitude if they had a viable competitor.
    Exactly! And it is because of this attitude I wish there were a competitor. Ever since these threads regarding the battery cropped up, people have been posting that they have been pretty much given the heave hoe or the run-around by Seidio.

To be told to just "cover it up" with a case doesnt solve the initial problem. If enough people post/shout/complain, maybe then Seidio would do something about it.
    07-20-08 07:52 PM
    I'm not an engineer, but I have an idea how to make your battery thinner, offer at a smaller size to achieve the proper fit and continuity. It would still be very close to what you offer now, and would give you a much better fit and finish. I have read many threads of people complaining about bulging, lifting, and having to peel backing tape off to get a proper fit. How many customers do you not here from who just live with it? In my opinion, you do nothing about it because you have no direct viable competition. If you did, and began to lose market share to that competitior with the same battery but better fit, would your enginners still think it was a non issue? I think not...
    Tim,

I apologize if I wasn't clear enough in my last post. I understand that you're not an engineer, which is why I'm trying to explain that the smaller size your referring to would not be close to what we have now. It would be much smaller in capacity and would really defeat the entire purpose. We did make a judgment call in regards to the tight fit, and besides a couple of posts here, receive very positive feedback from our customers on the extra capacity they receive.

I understand that it's your opinion that if we had competition we'd make it thinner, but it can't be done. If it were possible, we would've done it from the beginning.

We're not saying it's completely a non-issue, because obviously there are two of you here that believe it's a huge issue. This is why we have a return policy. If the tight fit and small gap are a problem for you, we'll give you your money back. I'm really not sure what else you'd like us to do here.

Thanks,
    07-22-08 11:20 AM
    Exit, this is NOT...And for those that are upset about it, you should be. The other issue is that many sites sell Seidios battery, yet if you didnt buy it direct from Seidio, you are re-directed back to where you purchased it from. I call that cat-n-mouse; bottom line, its their battery no matter what site you bought it from and if there are any defects, Seidio should honor that.
    Lex,

We absolutely do stand behind our products with our manufacturer's warranty, but just as you wouldn't drive to RIM to return your Blackberry, you would need to return to your vendor for a refund. After the vendor's return policy has expired, we offer replacement product under our warranty. There is no cat-n-mouse game here...this is the way vendors operate with manufacturers.

That being said, I'm truly sorry that this gap has caused you so much anger. If you will send an email to forum@seidio.com with your contact and original order information, I will see if I can arrange for you to return your battery for a full refund.

Thanks,
    07-22-08 11:57 AM
    Tim,

I apologize if I wasn't clear enough in my last post. I understand that you're not an engineer, which is why I'm trying to explain that the smaller size your referring to would not be close to what we have now. It would be much smaller in capacity and would really defeat the entire purpose. We did make a judgment call in regards to the tight fit, and besides a couple of posts here, receive very positive feedback from our customers on the extra capacity they receive.

I understand that it's your opinion that if we had competition we'd make it thinner, but it can't be done. If it were possible, we would've done it from the beginning.

We're not saying it's completely a non-issue, because obviously there are two of you here that believe it's a huge issue. This is why we have a return policy. If the tight fit and small gap are a problem for you, we'll give you your money back. I'm really not sure what else you'd like us to do here.

Thanks,
    You think you're undercover funny?

Of course it's easy to applaude yourselves based on the "happy" customers while at the same time discounting that there are MANY who are unhappy with the fit!

Stop calling it an OEM sized battery when it's clearly not; then making excuses to explain it away.

And how many times do you send a person back to the site in which they bought YOUR battery before you're willing to make good that here is a customer that is not happy with the FIT AND APPEARANCE and give them their money back? Afterall- no matter where it came from, it's still yours!
    07-22-08 12:02 PM
    Lex,

We absolutely do stand behind our products with our manufacturer's warranty, but just as you wouldn't drive to RIM to return your Blackberry, you would need to return to your vendor for a refund. After the vendor's return policy has expired, we offer replacement product under our warranty. There is no cat-n-mouse game here...this is the way vendors operate with manufacturers.
    Lex this is the piece of info your over looking. If you buy a BB from anyone of your local carriers and are dis-satisfied with it are you going to return it to your local carrier or hassle RIM about getting your money back? Your going to return it to your local carrier......This situation works the same way...nothing different... Judging by your recent post which I quoted underneath you probably over looked this part of Seidio's statement.

course it's easy to applaude yourselves based on the "happy" customers while at the same time discounting that there are MANY who are unhappy with the fit!
    Lex, let the other "Many" users voice there opinion, why must you do it for them? If they are as persistent as you are no doubt they have already voiced it.....Theres nothing glorious in speaking for other people. Let them speak for themselves.

And how many times do you send a person back to the site in which they bought YOUR battery before you're willing to make good that here is a customer that is not happy with the FIT AND APPEARANCE and give them their money back? Afterall- no matter where it came from, it's still yours!
    Obviously Lex is VERY angry with Seidio and Seidio is trying to address the complaint in a professional manner and Lex clearly wants no part in hearing what Seidio has to say, but just to voice the uncanny hatred of dissatisfaction towards Seidios product. I feel that any further comments should be left off the forum, The opinions and statements have all been voiced, everybody understands his/her points of view, Lets move on folks! Thanks
    07-22-08 01:01 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD