05-12-09 08:47 PM
51 123
tools
    I understand the suggestions of changing the bezel, but I really didn't want to void my waranty... It's really disapointing when a product which is supposed to preserve the finish, is the very thing that destroys it... To lose my waranty now simply to get it back to the way it was prior just somehow feels as if I lost even more... It's nice that Seidio protects the battery door with nice felt... No scratches there... I'd have no problem if that got scratched up cause I can replace that with no problem...

I'm seriously bummed on this one... It's like being punished for trying to do the right thing...
    Sorry for your phone scratches
    If I were you who need to take out the case frequently AND want the phone lint-free, I will go for the 360 case.
    But, the nature of physics, frequent movement+friction+cheap chrome painting = scratch.

That's why after seriously thinking process and research on the forum, I go for the 360 case, top&bottom, clean, easy removal and max. protection cause I am lazy to assemble and disassemble the case.
    Skin may do the job right too and for less bucks, but.... it just looks cheap, that's my 2 cents.
    04-29-09 05:22 PM
    I have the innocase II and the 360 - no scratch marks from either case. these cases have protected my 8900 from major falls without leaving mark on the phone itself.
    Second that I take mine out often and no scratches ands its saved my phone from a few big drops too and not a mark on the phone

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-09 05:32 PM
    Sorry for your phone scratches
    If I were you who need to take out the case frequently AND want the phone lint-free, I will go for the 360 case.
    But, the nature of physics, frequent movement+friction+cheap chrome painting = scratch.

That's why after seriously thinking process and research on the forum, I go for the 360 case, top&bottom, clean, easy removal and max. protection cause I am lazy to assemble and disassemble the case.
    Skin may do the job right too and for less bucks, but.... it just looks cheap, that's my 2 cents.
    As I stated, it's not the movement of taking it out of the case that is the problem... It is DEFINITELY a horizontal rubbing, not vertical that caused the damage... Upon further investigation, it appears that if I press directly in the area where most of the damage occured, it can move... I don't know if this is a manufacturing flaw, or a design flaw, but it is a flaw none the less... Removing the case did not cause this... Also I would like to add, I have had the case for less than a month, and have removed it no more than 14 times... I know when initialy read, it sounds like "WOW, it was removed EVERY COUPLE OF DAYS", but the reality is, it is no more than 14 times tops... Hardly excessive... So maybe others may take twice or 3 times as long as I to yield the same results? So 2 months? 3 months? Hardly acceptable even at that length of time for something purchased to prevent this very thing... At least in my opinion...

Since I had discovered the damage on my phone, I had done a little digging here and on other forums... Due to the nature of how this issue is handled, it is very difficult to track down these cases... It seems it's not as uncommon as it appears... The trend seems to be that once someone posts about this very thing, it is quickly over-shadowed by the Seidio fanboys who have just received theirs to say how they have not experienced this... Then the thread will continue on it's merry way... I don't mean this in a negative way, but it's just how it seems to go... It's unfortunate on a few levels... One, it does not help Seidio to relize there is indeed a problem that should be addressed, and two, there are going to be many disappointed people with damaged phones, who spent good money to prevent this very thing...

I wish someone had posted pics earlier... If they did this a month ago, I would still have a mint 8900 myself...
    04-29-09 07:16 PM
    On a side note, it's possible for adhesive skins to peel off the paint also.

This will vary depending on a ton of factors though (adhesive, etc). But my long-time IS peeled paint off my DS...
    04-29-09 08:23 PM
    The chrome bezels are not that great....

04-29-09 08:32 PM

A couple people had the chrome paint peel right off like a sunburn when they removed a BSE or Invisishield piece. One just used tape and maybe a little solvent to take off the chrome and make it a nice black all over. He posted that here.
    04-29-09 09:59 PM

Yeah.... don't u think the quality of the Curve is getting worse?
    - chrome peel off, wobbly keyboard
    - rubbed off soft touch coating

so disappointed..!!
    04-30-09 01:09 AM
    I have my chrome bezel in storage for the day I upgrade

The 8900 is running around naked today!!!! wooooo hoooooo!
    04-30-09 07:52 AM
    same thing happened to my storm. there is one area that the innocase moves a bit, and right there it wore off the chrome.
    That's exactly what had happened with mine... It appears to not move, but now that I know where exactly to press, it does move in that particular area... I googled Seidio and Bezel and was a little surprised... Even the iPhone people got the scratch treatment from Seidio... (but that's ok, it's an iPhone) Ha ha!
    04-30-09 09:34 AM

You know what? this is not first time.. its old news since 83XX had some destoryed by Seidio hardcase like this.. thats why I refuse to buy Seidio, period. (*knock on the wood*)
    04-30-09 10:32 AM
    You know what? this is not first time.. its old news since 83XX had some destoryed by Seidio hardcase like this.. thats why I refuse to buy Seidio, period. (*knock on the wood*)
    I've got similar looking scuff marks on my phone as well. Mine are on the "chrome" just to the right of the enter and delete keys.
    04-30-09 10:51 AM
    My hardcases are ALL seidio. 3 total for my 8320 and my 8900. I buy them exclusively and have had nothing but excellent customer service and products. I know some are having issues, but I don't want people to think that everyone is having a problem.
    04-30-09 12:55 PM
    You have to admit, it is a risk. And you won't know until it's too late like me. Sigh. I have a feeling a lot of people with the innocase are going to have an unplesant surprise in the near future. Maybe not as soon as I did, but then again they may not clean them as often.

04-30-09 10:16 PM
    You know what I find funny.......earlier in this thread you questioned why all the other thread on this subject seam to die.... And blamed it on the Seidio "fanboys"..... Well if you have a right to complain then the so called "fanboys" have the right to post how happy they are with the cases...

I think it says something about the quality of the Seidio products that so many members of this forum defend them.

No disrespect meant but everyone has a right to express there feelings.

I am truly sorry this issue happened with your device and I would be upset as well if it happened to me.

04-30-09 10:34 PM
    Well mine took a nice lil tumbel from about 4-5 ft to the ground. It landed chrone first and the bottom portion of the case popped off on inpact. No damage to report. My phone is still perfect condition. I would have been hurt..lol It definetly did its job!

04-30-09 10:42 PM
    Clint, I don't mean fanboy in a negative sense. I'm an admitted blackberry fanyboy and will defend them to the end. Don't take it as a personal attack cause it's def not meant that way. I respect your opinion, and to be completely straight with you, your opinion was one of the reasons I gave Seidio a second shot. Take from that what you may. Again, not a negative attack on the Seidio Fanboys.

04-30-09 11:28 PM
    And yes, I'm really disappointed and had the issues the others had not been glossed over, I probably would have thought twice. If a couple people can possibly be saved from what I experenced, or at least have a little better understanding of the risk they are opting to take, then this forum has done it's service. Agree? It's not an commercial nor a forum to bash, but more so to provide "good" and "accurate" information. Good or bad or in between, the truth is what I hope we all strive to share here.

04-30-09 11:37 PM
    You know what I find funny.......earlier in this thread you questioned why all the other thread on this subject seam to die.... And blamed it on the Seidio "fanboys"..... Well if you have a right to complain then the so called "fanboys" have the right to post how happy they are with the cases...

I think it says something about the quality of the Seidio products that so many members of this forum defend them.

No disrespect meant but everyone has a right to express there feelings.

I am truly sorry this issue happened with your device and I would be upset as well if it happened to me.

Sorry, I was on my phone when I was responding earlier... I wish my text wrap worked, as for some reason it ends up being difficult for me to type all in one line...

I just wanted to clear a misunderstanding since it's what you find funny... (No sarcasm intended) I never blamed the thread dying on anyone... Please go and read again... You are kind of mixing a few things you read from what I have posted in totally different posts... I had said someone had posted about this very thing, and the thread had died before he could elaborate...

In a totally different post I stated the trend is for the problems to be over-shadowed by the fanboy posts/praises... I then stated the thread continues... The reason I stated this is simply to give reason for the appearance of "No problems"... In reality, there are many, but they are over-shadowed and burried in a pool of people who have had the case for a couple days "with no problems"...

I was a little shocked when in a different thread the damage to my phone was written off as "probably due to contant removal and re installation of the case that caused the trouble"... I feel sorry for the person who believes that and ends up another statistic... Think about this for a second, this person is on this forum trying to find out the truth before making a purchase... Can you in clear concience say it was user error that caused my damage?

I know it seems I'm beating a dead horse... The truth is, I'm not happy about this, and I'm disappointed that the problems do get swept under the carpet when it comes to Seidio... I had a previous bad experience with them and I'm completely disgusted with them now... I'm not here to bash them, as I'm sure it seems, but just to let people be aware... As stated before, I'm particular about my phone... I would not say I'm obsessed, but I do treat it as a hobby of mine... Because of their product, it has been severly damaged... What would they be willing to do because of it? From past experience, nothing... They would rely on their loyal fans to discredit what has happened, and have them pump up their company even more...

I'm sure it seems like I'm at odds with you, but I'm not... I'm just explaning my side... Of couse I'm coming off like I'm pissed... Not at anyone in particular, but more at myself for trusting Seidio this last time... It happened because of the reasons stated above...

On a side note, I would say I don't believe ALL the Innocases will do this, BUT I do believe due to the design and their manufacturing tolerances, there are quite a few out there that will damage the phones... I believe it's a gamble... Odds are if you purchase one, you may not suffer the same fate as I, but there is that chance... It's a chance that can ultimately cause you to lose your warranty, or seriously kill the resale value, depending on if you chose to replace the bezel or just leave it as is... Not to mention, putting money in the pockets of the very people who have just destroyed the appearace of your $500 phone...

Rant mode off... I know, get a life, it's only a phone... It's really the principle of this entire ordeal that gets under my skin... That, and the fact that I cared enough about the appearace of my phone to purchase an item that claims to protect it from scratches... Only to have it cause the very type of damage it claims to prevent... Just stop for a second and take that one in... I don't wish that on anyone...

"1mm thin case provides scratch protection without adding much bulk"
    Seidio

Where's the accountability with this company? If a seatbelt fails and the occupant dies, is replacing the seatbelt with a new one sufficient?

Rant mode really off now...
    05-01-09 03:08 AM
    Hey Risingsun,

Trust me I don't take it as an attack and I am sorry if I ended up combining things you said and twisting it a little. That was not my intention. Yes, I did take the "Fanboy" comment a little personal and let it fester for a few days.....and that is the result of my post above. Trust me I believe we are almost all passionate about our "Crack" on here, that is why at times it gets so heated.

And ....LOL..... you don't need to get a life, and it is NOT ONLY A PHONE.... you and I both know neither of us feel that way about it!!

"1mm thin case provides scratch protection without adding much bulk"
    Seidio
    Based on the above statement from Seidio I would say in your case that the Innocase II failed to provide the promised service. But even with seat belts, some fail and people do get hurt, it is all about the percentages in business and 90-99% is a very high success rate for a Blackberry Case IMO.

Once again I am sorry your bezel was damaged, but at this point you only have few logical choices.... you purchase another bezel and put it on (void warranty) and don't use the case, or you continue to use the case because it does provide protection from drops and other parts of your phone....and after warranty you replace the bezel and then it doesn't matter.
    05-01-09 10:26 AM
    I've got similar looking scuff marks on my phone as well. Mine are on the "chrome" just to the right of the enter and delete keys.
    Remy, I am sorry to hear what happened to you. its kill your BB's value if you wanted to selling it in future.. that's sucks! I hope you find how deal with it.

On a side note, I would say I don't believe ALL the Innocases will do this, BUT I do believe due to the design and their manufacturing tolerances, there are quite a few out there that will damage the phones... I believe it's a gamble... Odds are if you purchase one, you may not suffer the same fate as I, but there is that chance... It's a chance that can ultimately cause you to lose your warranty, or seriously kill the resale value, depending on if you chose to replace the bezel or just leave it as is... Not to mention, putting money in the pockets of the very people who have just destroyed the appearace of your $500 phone...
    Your whole post is nail upon their heads!

Anyway...See BOLD: I was disappoint what it had some damaged itself, therefore completely kill my resale value..
    05-01-09 11:26 AM
    Hey Risingsun,

Trust me I don't take it as an attack and I am sorry if I ended up combining things you said and twisting it a little. That was not my intention. Yes, I did take the "Fanboy" comment a little personal and let it fester for a few days.....and that is the result of my post above. Trust me I believe we are almost all passionate about our "Crack" on here, that is why at times it gets so heated.

And ....LOL..... you don't need to get a life, and it is NOT ONLY A PHONE.... you and I both know neither of us feel that way about it!!

Based on the above statement from Seidio I would say in your case that the Innocase II failed to provide the promised service. But even with seat belts, some fail and people do get hurt, it is all about the percentages in business and 90-99% is a very high success rate for a Blackberry Case IMO.

Once again I am sorry your bezel was damaged, but at this point you only have few logical choices.... you purchase another bezel and put it on (void warranty) and don't use the case, or you continue to use the case because it does provide protection from drops and other parts of your phone....and after warranty you replace the bezel and then it doesn't matter.
    Clint,

I had full confidence in your ablity to actually read and understand my response... Thank you... This is a huge reason why your opinions do hold some weight... You are correct in saying here on CB we are pretty passionate about our phones... I actually threw the "Get a life" line for the few around that do like to post those types of remarks... I believe you and I as well as many many others on this forum are pretty heavily into our BB's... I have done every single OS upgrade, beta and official that I can get my hands on, every app I use I try to use it to it's fullest to see exactly what I can get out of it, and I use it so much there is no possible way I'm getting over 1 day on a full charge... I'm quite sure we are on the same level mentally as far as our BB's go... I will also add, I don't really have a problem pulling it apart and swapping the bezel... The only reason I have refrained is on my 8320 I ended up needing to use my warranty after about 7 months of use, due to a bad keyboard... The first time I have really warrantied anything out... I was worried the entire process because I had pulled it apart many times for various reasons... My approach to my new 8900 was to leave it be, just in case... Of course I'm going to swap the bezel now, as I have no choice... Like I had stated earlier, it's really the priniples involved that really gets to me... Also, I usually sell my phones before I'm out of warranty, so waiting until then is not an option... Ha ha!

Just for kicks, you and anyone else reading may want to check out the last pic posted by the OP for the http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/se...eather-218854/ thread, Post #3... The damage to the bezel looks awfully familiar... It was almost comical as I asked the OP for a better pic so I could see if it would cover up my Seidio Scuff...

His response:"There is a scuff showing, probably the same scuff as yours, so it probably doesn't hide it"

Later confirmed: Cause - Seidio Innocase II

Just goes to show, there are 8900's out there suffering the exact same damage, but just that only a few are getting vocal about it...

I can see by the a few of the posts in this thread, that some people are understanding why I'm putting it out there like this... Farbes being the most recent and basically confirming my message... If I can help out a few, at least to realize the risk, then I feel I have done what I can to help... I myself seek out informative posts such as this so I can weigh whether or not the pros out-weigh the cons for myself...

I just ordered an Incipio Feather since I have nothing to lose at this point... Appearance is destroyed for the time being... I am going to test it out before swapping my bezel... So far I'm impressed... I placed the order around 2:00 am... Just past 10:00 am I recieved a confirmation email, and within the next couple mins I received another email stating it was shipped and they provided me with a tracking number... We Shall See!
    05-01-09 02:54 PM
    "I just ordered an Incipio Feather since I have nothing to lose at this point..."

I don't understand why everyone has this perception that buying an expensive case is the best route.

My friggen TMO black silicon has been fine for 4 months.

For the love of God, stop the madness with these snazzy stupid junk china made cases.

Buy a cheap silicon case and be done with it.
    05-01-09 03:09 PM
    "I just ordered an Incipio Feather since I have nothing to lose at this point..."

I don't understand why everyone has this perception that buying an expensive case is the best route.

For the love of God, stop the madness with these snazzy stupid junk china made cases.

Dude, ha you never know TMO black silicon made "IN CHINA".. Yeah, I love TMO black silicon, using it for three weeks without any major problemS.. Just remember that many blackberry users have different taste it from less expensive and very expensive.. its their own preferences..
    Last edited by FARBES; 05-01-09 at 05:02 PM.
    05-01-09 03:29 PM
    I've seen and played with Seidios and all the other Otter blobbers and Blah blah blah.

The TMO case for $9.99 is FINE.

I still have the Seidio in the drawer. Its a certified POS.

05-01-09 04:27 PM

Ha ha! I would have to first start out by saying I immediately purchased the Tmo Silicone skin and I returned it within hours... (As someone stated previously, different preferences)... I then went with the OEM Blackberry Silicone Gel Skin... I like it, but it sticks in my pockets and attracts lint... After it absorbs some oils, it's not as bad with the lint, but still a little too sticky... I was pretty happy with the Seidio until it destroyed my bezel, but the way it slipped into the pocket was nice... I also was pretty put off by the way the top was executed and also the 2 piece design, but what can you do? You can't have it all...

Price really has no affect on my decisions when it comes to cases for my phone... If what you are trying to say is true, then we'd all be going straight for the leather Vaja cases... Not for me... They are nice and expensive, but definitely not for me...

The TMO case for $9.99 is FINE... - For you... I'm glad to see you have found the case that does it for you... I hope I can find one that does it for me soon...
    05-01-09 06:43 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD