01-21-11 02:28 PM
45 12
tools
    So I purchased my Blackberry Torch and walked out of the store with no case. Almost no cases in the store to choose from. So I went online. I found two options that suited my needs. 1st being the Otterbox Commuter and 2nd the Seidio Innocase Surface Combo.

I have used both of these products on devices in the past and each have their own best purpose!

I tried the Seidio Innocase Surface Combo first. I have to say that I use the holster a lot as I am moving all day long. I found right after installing it that the top piece reduced my wiggle when closed to almost nothing. Big bonus! The bottom piece snapped on tight and as you can see below, the case protects the phone well.

If you are familiar with Seidio Innocases, the touch of the case will be about the same as previous Innocases for other devices. It is smooth enough that you can slip it in and out of a pocket with ease, plus it has enough grip to keep it from sliding across the table.

The phone fits nicely in the holster with the case on and also puts it into standby mode which saves the battery. I am a big fan of that!

On my Bold 9700 I used the Seidio Rugged Case/Holster Combo and enjoyed the super duty protection when I needed it. Obviously the Innocase is not as Rugged, but provides good protection and includes the holster.

Next I tried the Otterbox Commuter for my Torch. I have to say that Otterbox gets an A+ for packaging and overall appearance in the box, plus they include the screen protector as always! But when I put the case on my Torch, I began to find things that did not meet up to previous Otterbox Commuter standards that I have become used to on their cases.

First I noticed while installing the first silicone layer that the port cover for the micro USB did not stay in very securely. I put on the hard plastic layer on the bottom portion and it took a bit to fit the device in as the top part is very very tight on the device. Once both bottom pieces were installed, I noticed right away that the top buttons were being pushed down and also that the silicone areas over the top two buttons actually stand up above the case. Which if you put this in your pocket or a bag, it would make your device lock/unlock and turn the screen on/off. Now with the Torch having the touch screen, this is a downside for me as I am not wanting to waste my battery all day long while I lug my phone around or dialing a number or function on the phone while in my pocket/bag.

I then installed the top piece of the case. It installs with two connections, one on top and the other on the bottom inside. The sides of this top piece are a little loose. I have read a lot of comments about people having trouble with this. On the Otterbox website I read that they are not designing a Defender series for the Torch and that the Commuter is intended to be put in the pocket or a bag.

If you are concerned about the thickness of the device with either case on, I have to say that the Otterbox is a bit thicker.

So after using both cases, I was happy with the Seidio Innocase Combo and was disappointed with the design of the Otterbox Commuter. I know the slider design is hard to make a case for and both of these cases have positive features.

Let me know if you have questions about either case.
    Last edited by Zach7; 11-05-10 at 09:54 PM.
    11-05-10 09:31 PM
    Here are the Seidio Innocase Surface Combo Photos...........
    Last edited by Zach7; 11-05-10 at 09:53 PM.
    11-05-10 09:36 PM
    Here are the Otterbox Commuter photos.......
    11-05-10 09:41 PM
    outstanding, thanks for the review. I'm just using a regular BB leather holster but would like to protect the rest of the body. I may get the Seidio case one of these days....
    11-05-10 11:09 PM
    Good review. I had my old 8800 Seidio clip stowed away. It fits my Torch perfectly! the magnet is also in the right place to put the BB to sleep. Looks like I saved me some money!
    11-06-10 03:42 AM
    I am still using the Seidio Innocase Surface combo myself and it is working great.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Zach7; 11-06-10 at 10:24 AM.
    11-06-10 10:20 AM
    Overkill- I was using an old BB holster myself prior to this and was happy with the switch to the Seidio Innocase Surface. Thanks for the feedback!

Dilipc- thank you for the feedback! I was glad to hear the Seidio holster is working for you.

Last edited by Zach7; 11-06-10 at 10:26 AM.
    11-06-10 10:23 AM
    Great review! The Seido definitely looks like the better case.
    11-06-10 12:30 PM
    any case that covers up the beautiful blackberry logo is a nogo in my opinion lol.
    11-06-10 12:33 PM
    Very nicely said!

11-06-10 10:57 PM
    just wondering.... do you know anything about the hard skin/case from MOBI that looks very similar to the Seido.... at half the price?
    11-07-10 01:00 AM
    No I haven't tried one of those yet. I will have to see if they make one for the Torch.

11-07-10 01:13 AM
    i was in the crackberry store looking at the Seido cases and saw the mobi ones that looked just like them.... the mobi's are a "hard" case it says.
    11-07-10 01:22 AM
    hi mr zach,

in your seidio pics it appears your top bezel remains unprotected. was this intentional? did you have issues with keeping the case affixed to the screen?

i have recently started to notice fingernail scratches just below the trackpad from slider use. your reponse will be greatly appreciated.

regards
    11-07-10 01:17 AM
    How does the top part of the Seido Innocase stay affixed to the Torch? Do you find issues with it coming off?
    11-07-10 03:34 AM
    hi mr zach,

in your seidio pics it appears your top bezel remains unprotected. was this intentional? did you have issues with keeping the case affixed to the screen?

i have recently started to notice fingernail scratches just below the trackpad from slider use. your reponse will be greatly appreciated.

regards
    Thank you for pointing that out! I did not include the photos of the top piece installed, just from the back view installed. Here are those two photos! The photo of the back of the slider piece has the top bezel installed. It secures in 6 points compared to the Otterbox only securing in two spots. I have used the Seidio Innocase Surface case for the past 4 days and it has not come off and does not wiggle while in place at all. It stays on a lot more than the Otterbox top bezel. Otterbox stated on their website that the cause is due to Blackberry making different sized devices. I think it is due to only being secured on the top and bottom instead of on all sides like the Seidio case. Thanks for the heads up and let me know if you have any more questions!
    11-07-10 08:05 PM
    I use the charging pod for my torch, I asume that it won't fit in it while using one of these cases. Anyone a charging pod and case user?

11-07-10 08:49 PM
    I know that with other Seidio Innocases, Seidio has made their desktop charger so you don't have to take off their Innocase. Maybe they are making one, if so I would buy one myself!
    11-07-10 09:01 PM
    I know that with other Seidio Innocases, Seidio has made their desktop charger so you don't have to take off their Innocase. Maybe they are making one, if so I would buy one myself!
    I hadent thought of that... I think I will wait to see if they come out with a charger like the BB one first....
    11-07-10 09:07 PM
    Thank you for pointing that out! I did not include the photos of the top piece installed, just from the back view installed. Here are those two photos! The photo of the back of the slider piece has the top bezel installed. It secures in 6 points compared to the Otterbox only securing in two spots. I have used the Seidio Innocase Surface case for the past 4 days and it has not come off and does not wiggle while in place at all. It stays on a lot more than the Otterbox top bezel. Otterbox stated on their website that the cause is due to Blackberry making different sized devices. I think it is due to only being secured on the top and bottom instead of on all sides like the Seidio case. Thanks for the heads up and let me know if you have any more questions!
    thank you for this valuable insight, mr zach!!! looks like a winner. i imagine they won't be available in canadian stores for quite a while.
    11-08-10 11:09 AM
    I am not sure about in store, but the have them on their website here: seidioonline.com

11-08-10 11:19 AM
    Bought the Otterbox at ATT store and used for a week--too bulky and made the wobble more distinct while the slider is closed. Read many great reviews about Seidio Innocase (especially Zach) and mine is being delivered Weds! Will give an update after install and some use... Thanks for the great insight Zach!
    11-08-10 01:39 PM
    Glad to hear it was helpful! Let me know your thoughts after installing the Seidio Innocase! I am still using mine and it is working well. I am waiting to see what else they design!
    11-08-10 01:50 PM
    Glad to hear it was helpful! Let me know your thoughts after installing the Seidio Innocase! I am still using mine and it is working well. I am waiting to see what else they design!
    Will Do! I am hoping for a Seidio Charging Cradle as that is the only thing I am bummed about going with a hard case. I love using the cradle on my nightstand. Guess I will have to steal my wife's phone for the cradle until it comes out...
    11-08-10 04:11 PM
    I have the Otterbox and I love having the silicone skin under the hard case - all parts of my BB are protected (whereas from your pics it looks like the top bezel is exposed with the Seidio case?). At the same time, I HATE the top piece! It pops off just from looking at it, and make any wobble much more pronounced. I wish I could combine these two cases! :-)
    11-08-10 05:08 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD