12-11-10 01:38 PM
69 123
tools
    When I first bought my 9700, the guy at the store put a screen protector on it.

The screen itself was perfect however he didn't apply it well so the corners had a bubble on each corner. The screen was perfect though.

So what I did is I bought an iBling screen protector for my 9700.

1) I removed the previous screen protector.
    2) I sprayed a little bit of water on the screen.
    3) I wiped it with a lint free cloth and ensured there isn't a single piece of dust or fiber on the screen.
    4) I removed the battery to be able to turn off the screen light completely so I can see if there are any bubbles while I am applying the screen protector.
    5) I applied the screen protector slowly and it fit perfectly with out a single bubble from the first shot.
    6) I wiped it a few times with the lint free cloth to ensure it sticks on perfectly.

Now when I turned on my BB, on white screen it seems to have little specs of rainbow all over, it is most evident in white screens, they are not scratches the screen is perfect.

Where did I go wrong? Was it bad to put a little bit of water?

What do you suggest to fix this?

I have 2 more iBling screen protectors lying around.

I am wondering if it was something wrong I did or was it the protector itself being of bad quality? I didn't suppose so though coz I thought it was a good quality protector
    11-30-10 10:22 AM
    With any screen protector that you apply with liquid, you should give it about 48 hours to allow any moisture to dry. Then see how it looks.
    Last edited by pbflash; 11-30-10 at 10:30 AM.
    11-30-10 10:27 AM
    With any screen protector you should give it about 48 hours to allow any moisture to dry. Then see how it looks.
    Oh, ok, that's comforting.

I just thought it may have been a problem from my side because the screen protector which they guy put at the shop the first day when I bought my 9700 didn't have that at all.

I have had this problem happened to my in the past when I put a screen protector on my first 9700 and thought that's the way screen protectors are

Anyway, I'll leave it for 48 hours as you suggested. Hope this disappears as the screen looks funny.

Thanks dude
    11-30-10 10:30 AM
    Yep you will have that for first 24 or so hours. Then it should clear up. But some screen protectors suck and do not improve. Bummer really but think you should be okay.

Also to add, I am pretty sure the water is not under the screen. I have applied hundreds of screen protectors and have never had water under the screen issue.

What the OP is seeing is the water "rainbow" effect over the LCD light emitting from the screen. I always you a light blow dryer back and forth to help speed up the process.
    11-30-10 10:31 AM
    Well, first mistake... NEVER use water on your BB.

You should have cleaned the screen with an alcohol based cleaning wipe. Most quality screen protectors come with one.

Alcohol dissipates within seconds and leaves no moisture or residue.

Water can react with the "Adhesive" in the Screen protector if it was not totally dry. While there is a chance that it will dry in 24 hours, if you got a GOOD SEAL on the screen protector, you may have sealed the moisture in there.

My advice... take it off, toss it in the trash, clean with an alcohol wipe (That will also dissipate any water left on there), then put a new screen protector on AFTER letting it dry for 5 to 10 minutes.

That, or just read the f'ing instructions that come with decent, quality screen protectors. They pretty much say what I just posted.

Reading instructions: It may take an extra few seconds up front, but it's a lot less time than screwing something up, posting for help, then having to re-do it.
    11-30-10 10:38 AM
    @wolfman - a lot of screen protectors suggest using water or a soap solution to install the screen protector. My Zagg came with spray bottle to use for the application.
    11-30-10 10:41 AM
    @wolfman - a lot of screen protectors suggest using water or a soap solution to install the screen protector. My Zagg came with spray bottle to use for the application.
    That's why I said most QUALITY screen protectors come with alcohol wipes or state to use them in the instructions.

Zagg products usually do not score very high in product reviews by consumers. Their Flagship protector for the iPhone scores a 2.0 out of 5.0 on Cnet.

As someone that works with electronics and has for almost 20 years, I would return ANY product that told me to use water on an electronic device.

Water on the screen can seep around the screen onto the PCB.
    Water on the PCB can lead to shorts, dead LCD's, even the whole phone going to it's grave.

Alcohol wipes are contained, they don't spray everywhere, and alcohol dissipates within SECONDS of being applied.
    Last edited by WolfmanRobby; 11-30-10 at 10:49 AM.
    11-30-10 10:47 AM
    If you are even using the solution only apply to the screen protector itself not the screen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-30-10 10:50 AM
    That's why I said most QUALITY screen protectors come with alcohol wipes or state to use them in the instructions.

As someone that works with electronics and has for almost 20 years, I would return ANY product that told me to use water on an electronic device.

Water on the screen can seep around the screen onto the PCB.
    Water on the PCB can lead to shorts, dead LCD's, even the whole phone going to it's grave.

Alcohol wipes are contained, they don't spray everywhere, and alcohol dissipates within SECONDS of being applied.
    I know what water can do to electronics and I agree that alcohol wipes are great to use to clean the screen. They recommend using a soap solution to allow you to position the protector properly before the adhesive applies. Most QUALITY screen protectors like Zagg, BSE, and others suggest this and if done right, no liquid will get inside the phone.
    11-30-10 10:52 AM
    If you are even using the solution only apply to the screen protector itself not the screen.
    Right, you don't put the water/solution ON the BB itself!

Even then, I wouldn't use something like that as there is a chance (Human error) of getting too much solution on the screen protector and it seeping out as you work the air out from under it.

And, where would it go? Right down the edges of the LCD INTO the phone!
    11-30-10 10:53 AM
    Most QUALITY screen protectors like Zagg, BSE, and others suggest this and if done right, no liquid will get inside the phone.
    As I stated, Zagg would not be considered QUALITY based on their low consumer reviews.

Their Flagship item can't even get above a 2.0 based on CONSUMER feedback.

EDIT: Link to support my statement: Zagg invisibleSHIELD cellular phone screen protector User Reviews - Cell phone and smart phone accessories - CNET Reviews
    Last edited by WolfmanRobby; 11-30-10 at 11:04 AM.
    11-30-10 10:55 AM
    Right, you don't put the water/solution ON the BB itself!
    Correct. I just read the original post again and saw:
    When I first read it I thought he said he sprayed it on the protector. You should never spray anything on the phone.

I never read any reviews on Zagg and thought it was considered a good protector as I see a lot of people recommend it. I had Zagg for my Bold 9000 but I only used the screen protector and thought it was pretty good. I think it is way over priced and I only got it because I found a sale for 50% off.
    11-30-10 11:03 AM
    WTF ML.... I thought you would retain information to be the best.
    THIS IS A FLAME.. we have answered these questions in the past... you started 2 posts in September on the EXACT same issue.

http:////forums.crackberry.com/f146/help-how-apply-screen-protector-527904/

and the rainbows!
    http:////forums.crackberry.com/f146/screen-has-small-rainbow-artificat-527717/
    Please remove the extra "//" as CB doesnt like URL pasting from its own forum and always gives errors

Seriously Ibrahim, SMARTEN UP.

hows the post count inflation going?
    Last edited by Fubaz; 11-30-10 at 11:08 AM.
    WolfmanRobby likes this.
    11-30-10 11:04 AM
    I never read any reviews on Zagg and thought it was considered a good protector as I see a lot of people recommend it. I had Zagg for my Bold 9000 but I only used the screen protector and thought it was pretty good. I think it is way over priced and I only got it because I found a sale for 50% off.

I just edited my post with a link to the CNet reviews on the InvisibleShield line from Zagg.
    11-30-10 11:07 AM
    BlueDiamond Screen Protectors are what i use.. They dont not say anything about using water and they work great.. I'm with wolf on this one and I would not use water near any of my phones..
    WolfmanRobby likes this.
    11-30-10 11:08 AM
    WTF ML.... I thought you would retain information to be the best.
    THIS IS A FLAME.. we have answered these questions in the past... you started 2 posts in September on the EXACT same issue.

http:////forums.crackberry.com/f146/help-how-apply-screen-protector-527904/

and the rainbows!
    http:////forums.crackberry.com/f146/screen-has-small-rainbow-artificat-527717/
    Please remove the extra "//" as CB doesnt like URL pasting from its own forum and always gives errors

Seriously Ibrahim, SMARTEN UP.

hows the post count inflation going?

Dude.... that was the OLD ML. Remember, he's a new, CHANGED person and want's his past forgotten.
    11-30-10 11:09 AM
    Zagg? I never said anything about Zagg? the screen protector is from a company called iBling.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, I will leave it for a while, if it doesn't clear up, Ill reapply a new one with the above mentioned instructions.

kthxbye
    11-30-10 11:13 AM
    Dude.... that was the OLD ML. Remember, he's a new, CHANGED person and want's his past forgotten.
    Yes, I am the new CrackBerry Genius FYI
    11-30-10 11:13 AM
    No ML, read what I put, the Protectors in question in the forum i linked is about your iBling protectors

I also found this pic of you

Hopefully the pic is foreshadowing.
    WolfmanRobby and klintoncloud like this.
    11-30-10 11:18 AM
    Yes, I am the new CrackBerry Genius FYI
    Not if the titles were based on actual knowlege and not inflated post counts. Most being in threads you started that were locked and moved to the off topic forums to never be seen again.

And to prove my point, A REAL GENIUS would know to never be so stupid as to spray water ON TO THEIR PHONE!!!!!!

No one said YOU said anything about ZAGG. That was a side discussion. You would think a GENIUS would be able to keep up with the conversation.
    Last edited by WolfmanRobby; 11-30-10 at 11:31 AM.
    11-30-10 11:19 AM
    When I first bought my 9700, the guy at the store put a screen protector on it.

The screen itself was perfect however he didn't apply it well so the corners had a bubble on each corner. The screen was perfect though.

So what I did is I bought an iBling screen protector for my 9700.

1) I removed the previous screen protector.
    3) I wiped it with a lint free cloth and ensured there isn't a single piece of dust or fiber on the screen.
    4) I removed the battery to be able to turn off the screen light completely so I can see if there are any bubbles while I am applying the screen protector.
    5) I applied the screen protector slowly and it fit perfectly with out a single bubble from the first shot.
    6) I wiped it a few times with the lint free cloth to ensure it sticks on perfectly.

Now when I turned on my BB, on white screen it seems to have little specs of rainbow all over, it is most evident in white screens, they are not scratches the screen is perfect.

Where did I go wrong? Was it bad to put a little bit of water?

What do you suggest to fix this?

I have 2 more iBling screen protectors lying around.

I am wondering if it was something wrong I did or was it the protector itself being of bad quality? I didn't suppose so though coz I thought it was a good quality protector
    For what it's worth, I have had similar experiences depending on the type of screen protector. I know with Zagg, it can take as little as 24 hours to "cure' or even a few days to really smooth out. I put a Zagg on my Torch a soon as the phone was released and for the first 2-3 days the Zagg shield looked like absolute crap. Over time though, it has really smoothed out and looks great. I've had good luck with Stealth Guard screen protectors. Hope this helps...
    11-30-10 11:23 AM
    For a "Genius" ML...you're pretty dumb.

you never put water directly on the phone, as it could seep in and damage the PCB.

Oh i forgot, 1500 of your posts are useless, so you aren't really a Genius yet.

keep post spamming..
    11-30-10 11:58 AM
    For a "Genius" ML...you're pretty dumb.

you never put water directly on the phone, as it could seep in and damage the PCB.

Oh i forgot, 1500 of your posts are useless, so you aren't really a Genius yet.

keep post spamming..

LOL
    10 chars
    11-30-10 11:58 AM
    humans make mistakes, im not a god.

nuff said
    11-30-10 12:08 PM
    WHO IN THE H3LL THANKED ML 16 TIMES?
    THOSE PEOPLE WERE EITHER NOOBS OR TRIGGER HAPPY.

YOU JOINED CB THIS JUNE AND YOU HAVE 1500+ POSTS? I JOINED IN OCTOBER 2007 AND HAVE 450 POSTS.
    ARE YOU TRYING TO HAVE MORE POSTS THAN AG WHO HAS 15000+? NOT SURE IF YOU GOT THE MEMO BUT CB HAS THIS COOL NEW FEATURE CALLED THE SEARCH BAR. BTW, AG IS ACTUALLY INTELLIGENT (AND FUNNY). BOTH OF WHICH YOU ARE NOT.

SIGN MY CB PETITION THREAD TO BAN THIS MOFO!!!!!
    forums.crackberry.com/f2/official-ban-matrix-leader-thread-558383/
    11-30-10 12:22 PM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD