08-10-09 05:30 PM
26 12
tools
    So since day one I've used a screen protector. First the one it came one. Then I switched to a new one after a while and then a third.

For those of you who don't use a screen protector, is the screen really scratch resistant? And how does your screen present itself?

Thanks for the input.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-30-09 06:02 AM
    I 100% believe in screen protectors. Generally though, I've only had to switch screen protectors 2 times in the 2 years that I had my 8830. Now with my Tour, we'll see.... but I don't think it'll need to put a new one on for at least a year.
    07-30-09 06:17 AM
    I had a screen protector on mine since i got it and one day took it off. Mainly because the corners were coming up. I have since left it off for about 2 months with out any problems. I do, however, have a leather case I put it in.
    07-30-09 06:46 AM
    I do not use a screen protector. I did use the one that they installed in the store on my Storm, but after a month or so, I took it off.

Somewhere on here, someone told me that because the screen is glass, there is little-to-no point is using a screen protector on the Storm.

Needless to say, I have no scratches or other issues. I do keep mine in a holster most of the time, or in a charging station (have one at work and at home). And I have insurance, so if something really bad happens, I'm prepared!
    07-30-09 07:12 AM
    I've heard the same about the screen being scratch resistant.. But I'm still skeptical about using it without a screen protector. Don't wanna ruin my precious Storm

07-30-09 07:38 AM
    I took the screen protector off when I bought the phone in November. No scratches at all. But I do keep it in a holster...not in my pocket.
    07-30-09 09:20 AM
    I keep my in my pocket. Had it since the storm first came out. Nothing else in that pocket to scratch it so it held up fine. I did end up replacing my phone recently but that was because of dust under the screen.
    Since I got my new one I've been trying protectors.. more to cut down on the finger prints and smudges because I think the screen can take normal use. The prints/smudges drive me NUTS
    07-30-09 05:39 PM
    I love using screen protectors. I've only needed to use 2 on my storm so far.
    I had one on since I got the phone in november and I just switched it yesterday since it got scratched.

Using the Verizon static screen protectors btw.

07-30-09 05:45 PM
    Took mine off about a month ago. I usually keep it in my pocket and haven't had a scratch yet. I even sometime keep my keys in the same pocket.
    07-30-09 05:59 PM
    What about little tiny scratches? Haha

07-30-09 06:45 PM
    I took off the original screen protector and replaced it with the anti-glare film set for the iTouch from the Apple store. I cut it to size and it has worked great! It doesn't show any dust underneath it as well so that made it even better.
    07-30-09 06:57 PM
    My first storm's screen did scratch when it was dropped in a bunker while playing golf, then stepped on before I realized I had dropped it. Luckily VZW replaced that phone for no reason, I just went in and asked them when the OS was going to be upgraded b/c of all the bugs, and they gave me a new phone.. ?? Anyway, when I got the new one I put a BSE full body skin on it including the screen. Has worked great. Glare is not bad, and helps with smudges. Not to mention it's been on my phone now since January, I keep it in my pocket, and the skin and phone still look new. Touch response was not affected. Almost 8 months now, and the corners are still firmly down, and not peeling off the phone anywhere...

It only costs $8 bucks and is fairly easy to install. Liquid is involved which makes some people squeamish, but it's really no biggie, just make sure you have the battery out of the phone for a couple hours after install to let everything dry.

RIM Blackberry Storm 9500, 9530
    07-30-09 07:25 PM
    The only reason I have a screen protector is so I can use water or cleaners to clean my screen w/o having to worry about messing it up. I wouldnt clean it nearly as much if I didnt have one on the screen. I know it wont scratch....but changing the screen protectors is a pain... I can never get ALL the dust out....
    07-30-09 07:25 PM
    I have to personally give my screen protector praise. Now we all know the lens is glass, not acrylic... What I never thought of though, is how it would protect the LCD screen UNDER the glass.
    Due to an accidental and unfortunate circumstance (I am a careless ID10T), while working on an old 5,000lb Cadillac my phone slid off its ledge, and ended up under the rear tire as I backed up. The phone was gouged pretty badly, the battery door was folded in half and off the phone, battery was gouged... etc.
    Low and behold, when I was done cussing up a storm (pardon the pun) and I calmed down, I decided to check on the phone's condition, and my data stored on it. Thanks to the screen protector holding the glass shards together so well, the lcd screen was unscathed and the touch function of the lens even still worked. Now granted, it wouldn't click well at all anymore, but I could hold the phone upside down over my head and shake it while typing (quite the sight to see) and have it work just fine.
    All the way up until I stripped the phone apart to change the shell, I had NO downtime. I see no way possible anything would have been salvagable if the damage were any greater.

Basic point: The screen protector isn't going to ONLY protect what is on TOP of your screen...
    07-31-09 12:09 AM
    I think the Storm screen in general is resistant to most everything(keys, metal, the floor etc). So even w/ out a protector it should be ok.

With the sand though, it may get scratched, since some minerals in sand may be able to scratch the glass of the storm screen
    07-31-09 02:17 AM
    I think the Storm screen in general is resistant to most everything(keys, metal, the floor etc). So even w/ out a protector it should be ok.

With the sand though, it may get scratched, since some minerals in sand may be able to scratch the glass of the storm screen
    +1

I have never had a screen protector on my phone. i keep it in my pocket all the time. I do not have any noticeable scratches on it. I do however have very, very tiny scratches on it. I seriously cannot see them unless i hold it under the light, turn it sideways, and put the phone 2 inches from my face. lol. I am sure the tiny scratches are from some sort of dirt, or sand that has gotten into my pockets somehow.

all in all, im sure the screen protector will help from scratches. but, the way i look at it, those things will ALMOST always have some sort of damage to it. for example, bubbles, sides peeling, and even deeper scratches.

oh well.... to each his own
    07-31-09 02:46 AM
    +1

I have never had a screen protector on my phone. i keep it in my pocket all the time. I do not have any noticeable scratches on it. I do however have very, very tiny scratches on it. I seriously cannot see them unless i hold it under the light, turn it sideways, and put the phone 2 inches from my face. lol. I am sure the tiny scratches are from some sort of dirt, or sand that has gotten into my pockets somehow.

all in all, im sure the screen protector will help from scratches. but, the way i look at it, those things will ALMOST always have some sort of damage to it. for example, bubbles, sides peeling, and even deeper scratches.

oh well.... to each his own
    Right. I actually do use a screen protector, and its always getting scratched up, and of course, some minor bubbling on the sides of the screen.
    07-31-09 03:35 AM
    I used a screen protector for the first like 3-4 months (had it since Dec). I found a thread on CB about this same issue and have never had one since. It is amazing how much better the phone works without a screen protector on it. I am a college student who does all sorts of crazy things all the time with my Storm in my pocket and there is not one little scratch on it. I was nervous to begin with, but now I'm not scared, not even a little.
    08-01-09 11:46 PM
    i took off the screen protector that came with the phone..i have no scrathes or anything :O)
    08-02-09 09:21 AM
    Here's a video showing scratch test. Uses sharp point, knife and keys against the screen and shows no scratches.

08-02-09 10:51 AM
    I've only needed to use 2 on my storm so far.
    I did use the one that they installed in the store on my Storm.
    The second one I changed it after 2 months because it got scratches.
    Since then no problem everything works well. And it's now there for 3-4 months.
    So far so good.
    08-02-09 11:02 AM
    So since day one I've used a screen protector. First the one it came one. Then I switched to a new one after a while and then a third.

For those of you who don't use a screen protector, is the screen really scratch resistant? And how does your screen present itself?

Thanks for the input.

Screen protectors are pointless for this phone. Its really harsh to say..but people who buy them and believe they are doing good for your storm...are just clueless. I've had my storm for about 4 months now and never used a screen protector or case. I've dropped it a few times yeah, but the screen never gets scratched..I always have it in my pocket with change or keys or other random stuff that people are afraid will scratch it..but really its basically impossible to scratch with normal every day use.
    WHY are screen protectors bad for a storm? Its a nice beautiful screen....why waste it on screen protectors that take away from that. Screen protectors are easily scratched. So what...you have it on your storm so you dont get scratches...but you see scratches anyways because the protector gets scratched..it just seems totally pointless to me..because if you didnt have it on..the screen would be scratch free.
    08-02-09 12:10 PM
    Screen protectors are pointless for this phone. Its really harsh to say..but people who buy them and believe they are doing good for your storm...are just clueless. I've had my storm for about 4 months now and never used a screen protector or case. I've dropped it a few times yeah, but the screen never gets scratched..I always have it in my pocket with change or keys or other random stuff that people are afraid will scratch it..but really its basically impossible to scratch with normal every day use.
    WHY are screen protectors bad for a storm? Its a nice beautiful screen....why waste it on screen protectors that take away from that. Screen protectors are easily scratched. So what...you have it on your storm so you dont get scratches...but you see scratches anyways because the protector gets scratched..it just seems totally pointless to me..because if you didnt have it on..the screen would be scratch free.
    I haven't used a screen protector since I got my Storm. I do nothing abnormal or harsh with the phone. I don't work outside and haven't dropped it. All it took was having a little dirt on either my hand/finger or the screen to cause several scratches on the screen.

After I noticed the first scratch, I became a bit paranoid and am very careful when I touch the screen. There are three or four more now.
    08-10-09 02:03 PM
    Use a screenprotector..but I don't like it ..haven't figued out how to keep the bubbles out of it..any ideas?
    08-10-09 03:20 PM
    I have heard that the storm has a scratch resistant screen and even seen a youtube video were a guy took a set of keys and went across his storm several time and it didnt scratch the screen , but I say why take chances...I do use a screen protector
    08-10-09 05:05 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD