I have a curve 8330 and I also have a few blue tooth headset chargers that fit my blackberry phone charging port. The car charger for my Tom Tom 720 Navigation unit also fits the BB. When I use any of the the BB indicates that it is charging. I typically grab whatever charging unit is plugged into the wall and use that for charging my BB. Haven't had any issues so far.

Has anyone heard of any reason that this wouldn't be safe to do. Or do I need to always make sure I am charging my phone with only the supplied wall unit from RIM ?

thanks!
    07-10-09 07:27 PM
    I use a motorola charger for one of my devices. Never had a problem. Should be ok.
    07-10-09 07:35 PM
    I have a lot of mini-usb devices that I use my computer and if my bb ever gets low, I will just use one of them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-10-09 07:43 PM
    I'd say you'd be safe using a cell phone charger to charge your Berry but I wouldn't use your GPS charger. I actually used my GPS car charger to charge my old cell phone before & it got extremely hot as did my phone, I think it takes a little more juice for a GPS than a cell phone (though that's just my thoughts). When I'm traveling I use my old Motorola charger & have had no problems what so ever with my Berry. Like I said, if it's a cell phone charger I think you're safe but for me, I keep my GPS charger specifically for my GPS.
    07-10-09 07:45 PM
    I use a motorola car charger left over from my razor...my wife still uses the same charger for her razor.

07-10-09 07:51 PM
    I use my motorola bluetooth charger as a backup for my 8330 and it actually charges my BB faster than the travel charger that came with it! I haven't had any issues with my phone and I had it for a year.

07-10-09 07:56 PM
    I'd say you'd be safe using a cell phone charger to charge your Berry but I wouldn't use your GPS charger. I actually used my GPS car charger to charge my old cell phone before & it got extremely hot as did my phone, I think it takes a little more juice for a GPS than a cell phone (though that's just my thoughts). When I'm traveling I use my old Motorola charger & have had no problems what so ever with my Berry. Like I said, if it's a cell phone charger I think you're safe but for me, I keep my GPS charger specifically for my GPS.
    Thanks guys ! makes sense. I agree with Patriot Fan and the other posts. It's hard to keep all the charges straight. I seriously have about 4 of them. I have had poor luck with the motorola blue tooth, but they warranty them for 1 year, so they keep sending me new ones. Seems like they last a 6 months, then die.

thanks again for the comments, this forum rocks. Jason.
    07-10-09 07:57 PM
    I have never had a problem with this either. I use a tom tom and older moto charger all the time, with no issues. I don't think the tom tom charger will hurt the phone or battery cause the phone draws only what it needs to charge. In my experience, all phones get hot while charging from any car charger. Not sure why but they always have for me even if the charger was designed for the phone.

07-10-09 08:00 PM
    I have a Garmin GPS & my old phone got REALLY hot when I tried using the GPS car charger with it. I bought an off-brand car charger from Target a while ago for my Berry & though I haven't used it very often, when I have, my Berry doesn't get nearly as hot as that time I tried using my GPS charger, it may have been a combination of my other phone & the charger but that one experience was enough for me to drop $10 on a Blackberry specific car charger. Just my experience & maybe Tom-Toms are different I don't know. As for my other cell phone chargers, I haven't experienced any real "heat" issues with my Berry, I use the charging pod at home but sometimes at my office I'll charge it using the regular plug & I still don't get much if any "heat."
    07-10-09 08:10 PM
    You should be good, I've been using my old RAZR charger on my 8330 for nearly a year now with no issues. Since the BB uses a mini USB port, it runs off the USB standard 5V output, which is why they all fit and work together.

07-10-09 08:28 PM
    You should be good, I've been using my old RAZR charger on my 8330 for nearly a year now with no issues. Since the BB uses a mini USB port, it runs off the USB standard 5V output, which is why they all fit and work together.

awesome, thanks for the input
    07-10-09 08:57 PM
    Check the amps too.
    07-10-09 09:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD