has anyone else found this happening to them?????

the RIM leather case/pouch that came with my Storm is scratching the keys badly. I've had the Storm for a week now and I noticed when I first started using the case I heard a tight rubbing/scratching noise as I lowered the Storm into the case/pouch. (This happened about 65% of the time, and the noise was head once the Storm reached about 3/4 inside).....I knew it was because the case was tight and I figured that it was just going to break in and loosen up with a day or two....well I was wrong.

The Green Phone key and the Red power key are both now badly scratched (and by badly scratched I mean they are unpleasant to look at, or deal with) and I am very disappointed in this as I am a CLEAN FREAK with my Storm whipping it down 3-4 times a day, and when I get home at night I carefully blow out any dust with a can of compressed air.

I realize that the screen is scratch proof, however, the keys aren't.

As I continue to use the case because I haven't yet found a "safe" replacement, I notice that the places in the case which are responsable for the scratches are now rubbing off (starting to look a little bit like an aged leather glove or jacket if you catch my drift....) ...and this I feel is going to just cause the keys to scratch even more at a faster rate because they are tightly being slid in and out against a now rougher surface.

I will try to post some pics of this tonight. I would describe the scratches as being about a millimeter wide, running completely parallel to the vertical sides of the storm (as a result of the direct up and down motion)....and I would say that both the Green and Red key have about 4-6 scratches varying in depth/width.

If anyone has had the same problems from using the case that came with the storm can you please post on here what you experienced and how you fixed it.

I'm thinking about returning the Storm AND case/pouch and asking for a new one once they receive next shipment. This is unacceptable that two RIM products do not function properly together, and it's a product that owners take EXTREME CARE to maintain and condition (as all us crackheads know)

The first cut is the deepest..... and when it's not my fault, It's RIMS, and after a week!.....

D
    12-18-08 03:40 PM
    I tired the pouch case at the Verizon store and was also surprised at how dang hard it was to pull the phone out. That's why I didn't buy it. Good luck on returning yours.
    12-18-08 03:44 PM
    I bought it and returned is shortly soon after. I saw it was hard. I used the old case that came with my xv6800 soooo soft and supple
    12-18-08 03:45 PM
    I have had the pouch for about two weeks. Remember, it is leather and needs to break in. It was tight at first but now is perfect. As for the scratching sound the OP is getting. i would recommend cleaning the pouch out. sound like u have some kind of deris in there.
    12-18-08 03:48 PM
    I have been blowing the case out with compressed air every night to make sure that no pocket debris has settled on the sides.
    12-18-08 03:50 PM
    When I first put the phone in the case I realized what it would do to the buttons so I now put my storm in upside down so that the keys never actually enter the holster.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-18-08 03:57 PM
    Ok. But then how do you see the light flashing when you have a message?
    12-18-08 04:01 PM
    Invisible Shield
    12-18-08 04:03 PM
    Ok. But then how do you see the light flashing when you have a message?
    you can't see it if it were right side up anyway as the overhanging leather flap to secure the phone obscures the red marker
    12-18-08 04:09 PM
    There were a lot of reports of peoples' Storm's keys coming off. I believe the keys were snagging on the tag inside the pouch.
    12-18-08 04:15 PM
    you can't see it if it were right side up anyway as the overhanging leather flap to secure the phone obscures the red marker
    No I am not talking about that pouch I'm talking about the open top one, no magnetic flap.

It is interesting that you mention this tho because I do not want a case that covers the red light. So if i buy one online i will have to take that into account, where as in the store you can sample.....
    12-18-08 04:44 PM
    There were a lot of reports of peoples' Storm's keys coming off. I believe the keys were snagging on the tag inside the pouch.
    Really!!...I did not hear that but that is interesting because when I first bought the storm i was going to place it in the pouch but it wasn't going in (i was kinda looking up at the time, no biggie because i have hand eye coordination) and i looked down to see that the Green key was virtually at 90degrees from the phone....it scared the sh*t out of me, i thought for sure:

A) I somehow peeled/picked off the key

B) That it was a BAD design and it was sure to happen again...and eventually break as a result!

However, this is partially why I am using the pouch as opposed to having the device in my pocket freely with a skin or something....in my opinion the keys would certainly come off in due time when carrying the device freely without the keys protected.
    12-18-08 04:50 PM
    Really!!...I did not hear that but that is interesting because when I first bought the storm i was going to place it in the pouch but it wasn't going in (i was kinda looking up at the time, no biggie because i have hand eye coordination) and i looked down to see that the Green key was virtually at 90degrees from the phone....it scared the sh*t out of me, i thought for sure:

A) I somehow peeled/picked off the key

B) That it was a BAD design and it was sure to happen again...and eventually break as a result!

However, this is partially why I am using the pouch as opposed to having the device in my pocket freely with a skin or something....in my opinion the keys would certainly come off in due time when carrying the device freely without the keys protected.
    One of my keys was ripped off by the Storm open-top pouch. I stopped using completely but now have a missing key. Am waiting to get a replacement. I would recommend not using the RIM pouch.
    12-18-08 06:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD