Has anyone purchased or used this product? It's a portable style battery charging unit for the BlackBerry. Looking for reviews on it.
    RichardSolo 1800 for BlackBerry/Smartphone
    11-02-09 09:22 AM
    looks interesting. Or you could just buy a second battery from ebay for $5.

And keep in mind that lithium ion batteries, such as are in this device, lose 15-20% of their total capacity every year if they are kept fully charged. And they do so much, much faster if they're kept in a hot place. If you store them in the 'fridge at half-charge, they'll last a long time, but then the product would be useless for emergency charging..

So if you charge this backup battery up and then keep it in your car for an emergency charge, it will likely hold no charge itself after about 18 months, and will be pretty worthless for charging the phone after 6-9 months. Permanently worthless--because li-ion batteries lose their capacity forever.

And do you really need an LED flashlight and a laser pointer on your backup battery?

I say buy a couple extra batteries, put 'em wherever you might need 'em, and then replace them in a year when their capacities have dwindled.
    11-02-09 02:11 PM
    looks interesting. Or you could just buy a second battery from ebay for $5.

And keep in mind that lithium ion batteries, such as are in this device, lose 15-20% of their total capacity every year if they are kept fully charged. And they do so much, much faster if they're kept in a hot place. If you store them in the 'fridge at half-charge, they'll last a long time, but then the product would be useless for emergency charging..

So if you charge this backup battery up and then keep it in your car for an emergency charge, it will likely hold no charge itself after about 18 months, and will be pretty worthless for charging the phone after 6-9 months. Permanently worthless--because li-ion batteries lose their capacity forever.

And do you really need an LED flashlight and a laser pointer on your backup battery?

I say buy a couple extra batteries, put 'em wherever you might need 'em, and then replace them in a year when their capacities have dwindled.
    Not only that but if theres an emergency and you need your phone quick, you wont have to wait for the richard solo thing to charge your bb because youll have your spare battery at 100.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-02-09 11:45 PM
    I agree. It looks like a gadget designed for people who like to buy gadgets.
    11-03-09 04:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD