Who is searching for one of the best Bluetooth Headsets out there? I know I am. But then again I am always searching for accessories. Having owned quite a few of BT Headsets myself (Nokia BH-700, Nokia BH-800, Plantronics Discovery 645, Plantronics Discovery 655, Motorola H9 miniBlue, and a couple more) when I had my BlackBerry 8700g, it was always a never ending search for the perfect one. Different OS upgrades, not much help improvement when it comes to voice quality over BT. So my searched for my old devices, stopped. Then I got the Curve.. Oh boy! Now the cycle starts all over again!

Most of you own an iPod or an MP3 player. With this time and age, it is one of those must haves, right? Not because everybody is into it, but if you are a music lover and or uses music to relieve stress, or those who are into CEP (Continuing Education Program) on CDs, it is just one of those devices that you just cant leave without. Who would want to carry a CD player these days, right? And with this time and age, everything that is latest and new technology, is just heaven sent. Which technology are we talking about?...

A2DP as you know it means Advanced Audio Distribution Profile for which this Bluetooth Headset Review is all about.

Lets meet the Plantronics Voyager 855.

First off, this thing BLEW me away. (Ill elaborate later.)

Second, with its slick design and comfort in mind, this is one of the best headsets I have ever tried. Who among you complains of headset wearing you down? They say light and comfy nu uh.. not after a couple of hours of wear, it doesnt. But not with the Plantronics Voyager 855. Having played this for 8 days now, not once did I complain about any discomfort. I even tested this 2 nights back to back, sleeping with this BT headset on. And guess what? It was still comfy even lying on it. (Not good to follow me though. I always experiment on what works and what doesnt.)

Review Starts Here:

With QuickPair Technology, I didnt have any problems whatsoever in the pairing process. Once I paired my headset with my Curve, I didnt have to do it again, unlike the other BT headsets that I owned. This then activate the following Bluetooth Profiles: Headset Profile (HSP) for talking on the phone, Hands-free Profile (HFP) for talking on the phone and operating the phone, A2DP for receiving high-quality audio content and finally, the AVRCP profile, for operating audio/video devices. Then you are ready to use it. Of course, I needed to charge the headset first for 3 hours before I can use it. Why? Because I have to follow instructions!

Now lets talk about the comfort. Comes with the optional ear loop stabilizer, for increased stability and with 3 sizes of sound isolating ear buds, there sure is one perfect fit for your ear canal. This you have to know though, once you got this in, there better be nobody talking to you because, there really is no way for you to hear them even if they have a megaphone! This seals all noises OUT! So who needs those ear muffs style headsets, right? And with its cable design, stereo plug-in cable, this makes this BT headset discreet and perfect for those occasions where you dont want anybody to know if you were or werent listening to them (you have to have long hair though to perfect the lets-pretend-Im-listening-to-you face). As shown in the photos attached here, the cable is very flexible and almost no weight at all. So even though you wear this with the stereo plug-in cable draped across the back of your neck, it doesnt give you the feeling of that t-shirt tag discomfort. And most of all, it doesn't have that sporty look like the Motorola S9. The latter just looks to me the kind of headset that gym goers would use when running on treadmills.

Now the lets talk about the range. To maintain a connection with your Bluetooth, you have to keep your paired devices within range. If there is an obstacle between your headset and your mobile device, you usually experience interference in a form of a crappy audio or crackling sound. Not this!!! When I tested this in between walls or my walking away from my Curve, the music still has the same quality as like without interference, but instead of the crackling sound or crappy audio, it gives you pauses. Stretched my distance some more and this headset paused my music and just literally STOPPED my music after a few when I didnt close the distance between my Curve. Meaning, my BT profiles were even off! I dont know if this is a feature but I sure like it a lot! It helps save my batt.

Headset controls are located and are arranged in such as way that it is easy to operate. With the Sliding Boom design (as shown above), I can answer and end my call conveniently. Adjusting the volume, controlling music tracks, answering a call while listening to music easy with just using the control buttons on this headset. Love using the voice dialing? How about doing it with just a push of one button! No more searching for the icon or app!
    12-15-07 01:48 PM

So to elaborate some more? Here it is --- IT ROCKS!

Voice quality? No complaints from calling party. With the isolating ear buds, calls are ever so clear. With secrets or endearments, you can be sure, nothing would be missed.

Verdict: I would definitely recommend this
    Pros: Experience great music always or business CDs clearly
    Cons: Wished it has the same feature as the Voyager 815, multipoint technology. Able to pair two phones at the same time - your personal phone and your business phone.
    Price: Ranges from $100.00 - $149.00
    Overall rating: 9.9/10 (why not perfect? Because this will give me a reason to search again and get a new one when another one comes available )
    12-15-07 01:52 PM
    Thats a super review. I'll totally expect one in my stocking next Tuesday
    12-15-07 02:23 PM
    Lucky! And just to add, you have the option to not use the stereo plug-in cable. So for those who just want to have the look of the "normal" BT headset (meaning without the "wraparound") and still be able to hear music or audio, you can do that too.
    12-15-07 02:27 PM
    Great review! I am heavily considering get this.
    12-15-07 02:50 PM
    I'm always looking for another good BT headset. Thanks for your opinion on this one. Like others, I swore off Plantronics headsets, but, this new model might bring back some old customers

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-15-07 04:19 PM
    On ebay you can have it for $89.99 to $99.99 plus shipping.
    12-15-07 07:16 PM
    Impressive review! Nicely done...
    12-15-07 07:37 PM
    .....Nice!
    12-16-07 08:27 PM
    Just a word of caution: I am on my second 855 model due to problems, and possibly a third. First off, the left earbud stopped working after a few days and I had to get it replaced. Second, the device has a bad habit of not wanting to charge up correctly. Right now, it refuses to turn on and nothing happens when it is connected to the power adapter. This is the second time it happened.

Just as another word of caution. The device seems to lock up my BB8830 if I leave the bluetooth connected to the device. Randomly, I will discover that the entire device is not functional except for the power and mute buttons. I am left with no choice but to restart my BB8830. Additionally, it dials numbers randomly. It appears to randomly dial the last incoming or outgoing call. This has happened several times and it was wasted many, many minutes on thirty-minute calls to someone's phone. I'm not sure if this is an isolated incident, but it is a BIG problem.
    12-17-07 06:29 PM
    Just a word of caution: I am on my second 855 model due to problems, and possibly a third. First off, the left earbud stopped working after a few days and I had to get it replaced. Second, the device has a bad habit of not wanting to charge up correctly. Right now, it refuses to turn on and nothing happens when it is connected to the power adapter. This is the second time it happened.

Just as another word of caution. The device seems to lock up my BB8830 if I leave the bluetooth connected to the device. Randomly, I will discover that the entire device is not functional except for the power and mute buttons. I am left with no choice but to restart my BB8830. Additionally, it dials numbers randomly. It appears to randomly dial the last incoming or outgoing call. This has happened several times and it was wasted many, many minutes on thirty-minute calls to someone's phone. I'm not sure if this is an isolated incident, but it is a BIG problem.
    Hmmm, that does sound nasty. Thanks for the input. Sounds pretty isolated, though. Like my Pearl 8100 that would not take the DST update...noone else had that problem, except lucky me. /sigh
    12-17-07 08:08 PM
    trinston, sorry to hear that. Where did you purchase it? I have been using my BT non-stop, well only when I'm charging it, that is.
    12-17-07 10:15 PM
    I purchased it at Best Buy. As soon as I remove it from the charger, it stops blinking and refuses to turn on.
    12-18-07 05:37 AM
    Hey CC and Trinston, any updates on this headset? Do you still love it Cat? Did you ever experience any of the same problems as Trinston? How far do you think you are able to get from your blackberry before it starts pausing on you?

What's the verdict after a month? Yay or nay?

Eli
    01-14-08 07:30 PM
    There's a website where you can try these out before purchasing.

Don't know what Bluetooth to buy? Why don't you test it first!
    01-14-08 11:09 PM
    There's a website where you can try these out before purchasing.

Don't know what Bluetooth to buy? Why don't you test it first!
    Thanks John! cool link.
    01-15-08 09:40 AM
    Hey CC and Trinston, any updates on this headset? Do you still love it Cat? Did you ever experience any of the same problems as Trinston? How far do you think you are able to get from your blackberry before it starts pausing on you?

What's the verdict after a month? Yay or nay?

Eli
    Definitely YAY!

I'd say definitely try. The best way to see if it works is to assess it yourself.
    01-15-08 02:44 PM
    An ebayer is selling them for 74.24 "Buy It Now" with free shipping (US only sorry). They have 175 of them. I can't post a link but if you search ebay for item #180214507961 I think you'll find it.

Thank you Catt for the review, you helped me make my decision.

Rob
    02-17-08 09:17 PM
    do you still think this a good one to get. I just bought a H700, & will be taking it back to best buy, it is horrible. I need the loudest one i can find. Is there one that is really loud? I'm on a red 8830 from verizon. I'm very shocked at how good the phone's headset is in volume & clarity. I had an iPhone & it was always not load enough. I have to admit I work in noisy places all the time,so if someone could point me it one that is loud, that would be great. Great sit, new here, first blackberry.
    02-23-08 08:00 AM
    Stay tuned for the Invisio Q7. This is an awesome bluetooth headset. I currently have the G5. Will post photos here in a little bit.

Currently, I swap between this Voyager 855 and the new RIM Stereo Headset , they have the same sound delivery. And for this wired one, just gave this two-thumbs way up! If you want a BT headset, then I would suggest to wait for the Q7.
    02-27-08 01:23 PM
    Invisio G5 Photo

Currently, the smallest bluetooth headset in the world. Smaller than the Motorola H9. The cool thing about this, the charger is designed like a cigarette lighter
    02-27-08 01:30 PM
    Is the Plantronics Voyager 855 compatible with the Blackberry Pearl 8100. The phone works but it will not play music. If it is not compatible, does anyone know of a bluetooth stereo headset that will work. I have tried a Motorola S-9, same problem, phone works but no music. Thanks
    03-17-08 12:02 PM
    Your BlackBerry must be A2DP Bluetooth enabled via an A2DP profile in order to use these types of Stereo Headset. Sad to say that 8100 Pearls are not A2DP capable.
    03-17-08 12:13 PM
    will this ring the ringtones on my 8350i in my ear?
    03-06-09 07:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD