To access Reuters on your mobile phone, go to:
    Reuters News

Mobile phone battery dead? Try dancing

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2008 3:9PM UTC

LONDON (Reuters) - What do you do if you are stuck in a field at a pop festival but there's trouble ahead because your mobile phone's battery is about to run out?

Thanks to a new gizmo, you now just need to face the music and dance.

Mobile phone operator Orange said on Tuesday it had teamed up with GotWind, a firm specializing in renewable energy, to produce a recharger powered by dance energy alone.

The portable kinetic energy chargers will be given a test run at this year's Glastonbury Festival, the world's biggest greenfield music and arts celebration that begins on a farm in Somerset on Friday.

Orange said the prototype chargers weigh the same as a phone and are about the size of a pack of cards.

Attached to the user's arm, they employ a system of weights and magnets which provide an electric current to top up charge in a storage battery. This can then later be used to recharge the phone.

"We wanted to create a fun, engaging and interactive product which would encourage users to have a laugh while charging their mobile phone and at the same time test out a new energy-efficient prototype," said Hattie Magee, Head of Partnerships at Orange UK.

(Reporting by Michael Holden)
    06-24-08 12:24 PM
    boogie with your blackberry...
    06-24-08 12:45 PM
    This doesn't seem to be very practical, kind of like the solar powered rechargers. Price tag will probably be expansive too. Can you imagine how long you would have to dance to fully charge a battery let along just charge it a little bit. Unless you are far from civilization I don't see this being useful. If you are going to be in a short term situation where you could run low on battery an extra battery seems to be the better alternative. And if you are one who will do as much as possible to save energy then charging the batteries using the solar powered charger at home or anywhere else it is practical to use.
    06-25-08 12:59 AM
    So what you're really saying is that you can't dance.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-08 01:14 AM
    Lol I can get my groove on if I want to but if it take a wall outlet 2 hours to fully charge the battery and I think it was like 4 or 6 hours with the solar charger. It must tkae like 20 hours of dancing to fully charge a battery.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-08 02:57 AM
    It must tkae like 20 hours of dancing to fully charge a battery.
    Well then;

Dance, then, wherever you may be,
    I am the Lord of the Dance, said he,
    And I'll lead you all, wherever you may be,
    And I'll lead you all in the Dance, said he
    06-25-08 08:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD