04-08-09 01:55 PM
26 12
tools
    first let me start off by saying i love my curve 8320 other than this GINORMOUS INCONVINIENCE!!!!

well it started last week when i went to make a call everything was peachy i hang up go to my home screen and it just dies out of nowhere! nothings turning it back on power button is useless so i do a battery pull i get the hourglass and then it just keeps turning off i cant even get to the damn home screen ...so now im pissed i get home and put it on the charger thinking my battery was dead knowing that it couldn't be///low and behold after a few minutes on the charger it boots right up and says i have half battery life...so i said whatever until it happened a few hours later..now im startein to get pissed because since that day ive been dealing with this random shut off CRAP about 2-5 times a day its really bad and it always happens when i need it the most...IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WHO HAS SOME KIND OF IDEA OF WHAT IM DEALING WITH???!?!?!?! honestly ive looked everywhere i cant find out whats wrong...no water damage havent dropped it and as far as memory goes i have an 8GB sd...also i just did the upgrade about a month ago to stream youtube and get the video camera and what not...any help would be greatly appreciated guys thanks!!!
    03-25-09 02:21 AM
    How old is the Curve/batterry?

The battery could've gone bad. A new battery might solve your problem, especially if it functions normally while on the charger but dies soon after coming off charger.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-25-09 02:28 AM
    I'd try the suggestion of getting a different battery. You can take it in and have it looked at.
    Also, by any chance do you have auto-off enabled?
    03-25-09 02:31 AM
    the battery is about 8 months old....and yes i have it set on auto off but to go off at 3 am and turn on at 6...why do you ask scandalex?
    03-25-09 02:42 AM
    J, what's your file free number just for the heck of it? I really think you have a bad battery.

Also, try taking the media card out of your BB. If the card has a corrupted file or file system, it can also cause rebooting, freezing and shutdowns. See if the BB behaves with the card out.

The other remote possibility is a corrupted OS.

03-25-09 02:47 AM
    the battery is about 8 months old....and yes i have it set on auto off but to go off at 3 am and turn on at 6...why do you ask scandalex?
    I asked b/c this seem to be a problem lately for a few members. Turned out they had auto off enabled which for some reason was causing the phone to cut off at random times.
    03-25-09 02:51 AM
    file free 11239061

and yea i took the card out but i didnt let it stay out long enough to notice...im gunna try that and see how it works out tomorrow ill do anything at this point
    03-25-09 02:52 AM
    well ill deff shut that off and see if anything gives thanks
    03-25-09 02:53 AM
    Dude, your file free is low.

Clear your error log that comes up when you hold Alt then press lglg. Ignore the warning.

Also, do you have a ton of emails on your BB?

03-25-09 02:55 AM
    file free 11239061

and yea i took the card out but i didnt let it stay out long enough to notice...im gunna try that and see how it works out tomorrow ill do anything at this point
    I don't know how much space is on a TMo Curve, but for a Curve, your free file seems very low. Although, if you were running low on space, stuff would randomly get deleted; not cut off for no reason.
    03-25-09 02:55 AM
    Sure does sound like its a memory issue
    Delete all texts or unneeded texts and emails. People who save hundreds of texts will eventually have memory related issues. Clear your browser cache (browser>options>cache operations..
    03-25-09 02:57 AM
    no to the emails...i delete them every few days and text too... but what happens after i clear the error log? i just did it
    03-25-09 02:58 AM
    When you delete the log as Xlide suggested you regain about 200k

If you have too many themes or applications maybe cut down on a few you dont use. If you have facebook I would think about deleting it and just using it from the browser...

This thread will help you too
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/
    03-25-09 02:59 AM
    im not sure what it means or if its bad or not but my browser content chache is 80.7 k wich i just deleted and cookies is 39
    03-25-09 02:59 AM
    yea i guess i could dump a couple apps...you guys really know ure **** and i thought i knew my phone inside and out..thanks guys keep um comin lol
    03-25-09 03:01 AM
    Make sure you close all apps properly (menu>close) as well as move all media (ringtones, pictures, video etc) to a media card - if you dont have a media card its a good idea to get one to keep the pictures, ringtones off the device memory.

Keep an eye on what applications are running hold alt & hit esc (button right of the trackball) it will show you 5. (phone, messages, bbm, home screen, browser) anything else in there is running and you should look into it.. If after getting the file free up you are still having issues, replace the battery. Get the file free to over 12mb and you should be ok, the higher the better.
    03-25-09 03:03 AM
    After you're done cleaning your memory out a bit repost your file free number.

03-25-09 03:04 AM
    HeHe Trem, finally got something juicy to jump in on huh?

03-25-09 03:06 AM
    Heh was watching a flick and when I refreshed I said mmmmm an easy one or possible easy one......we shall see.....
    03-25-09 03:07 AM
    Heh was watching a flick and when I refreshed I said mmmmm an easy one or possible easy one......we shall see.....
    Lol. That and the BIG THREAD TITLE, a little bit attention grabbing eh?

03-25-09 03:10 AM
    Aye

Wasnt gonna jump in since you and Lex had it (of course) but it was to tempting I guess - ya know the whole OCD thing.....
    03-25-09 03:12 AM
    Aye

Wasnt gonna jump in since you and Lex had it (of course) but it was to tempting I guess - ya know the whole OCD thing.....
    Trem....carry on. I'm going to bed.
    JHenry, you're in good hands.
    03-25-09 03:14 AM
    12175997 is where its at as of right now but we shall see tomorrow is a new day and ill keep all the tips in mind...thanks a lot guys

03-25-09 04:57 AM
    12175997 is where its at as of right now but we shall see tomorrow is a new day and ill keep all the tips in mind...thanks a lot guys

The generally accepted threshold for problem free memory is 12 XXX XXX bytes so you are barely above that. It doesn't give you much memory to run apps.

You've got a ways to go yet on the memory optimization.
    03-25-09 06:26 AM
    This has happens to me too, I am not sure when it started....but when I upgraded to the new OS b/c I wanted FaceBook application, then it started doing this. It shuts off like 3 or 4 times a day.
    I think it's a conspiracy to screw up everyone's Curves so they buy new ones, it's infuriating!!! My battery is always charged and the icon shows as charged, I have hardly any picture files in there, so no storage issues....battery pull does NOT work, I have to put it in my car charger or regular charger, then it will go back on. My first Curve had screen problems so I had it returned before a year was up (I had insurance through AT&T) and they send you a new one (it's refurbished, NOT new). This one I've had about 8 months. I am not sure if I should just buy a new battery but don't want to waste the money if that's not it. AT&T is no help at all, they just tell you to buy a new one.
    04-08-09 01:30 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD