I have the newest version of the OtterBox and I love the feel of the case and the security it provides from dropping. What I'm not crazy about it the plastic film cover over the screen. I've read all the solutions for keeping it from sticking to the screen (oil from finger...baby powder). They do work though I find them to slightly degrade the natural beauty of the Storm screen. My biggest issue is the crackling sound that I usually hear almost every time I press on the screen. I guess I would describe it as a stiff plastic screen crackling (clever, huh?). it's not nearly as cool sounding as the click of the screen itself. I think it sounds kind of cheap. Anyway...I was wondering what some of you think about just cutting/pulling it off? It can't really offer that much protection from a drop (it's a thin piece of milar) and I've never been that worried about scratching that piece of glass. Also, because of the new open sides, it doesn't really offer any dust or water protection. Has anyone yanked it out?

Thanks,

Grey
    04-10-09 08:18 PM
    Well I have had a original and now a revised storm otterbox. Althrough the revised is worlds better to operate through the case i too hate that the new version has open sides on the membrane. truly it needed it because on the original version I would always activate my BB key by pushing butons near it from the screen tension created. I havent noticed anything getting the past new side design and really dont think much can. Althrough its open it is overlapped with the hard plastic and makes a pretty good seal. As far as the noise I dont think anything you will do can remedy that.
    04-10-09 08:29 PM
    The incipio case blows the otter box away and its half the price.
    04-10-09 08:53 PM
    I have the newest version of the OtterBox and I love the feel of the case and the security it provides from dropping. What I'm not crazy about it the plastic film cover over the screen. I've read all the solutions for keeping it from sticking to the screen (oil from finger...baby powder). They do work though I find them to slightly degrade the natural beauty of the Storm screen. My biggest issue is the crackling sound that I usually hear almost every time I press on the screen. I guess I would describe it as a stiff plastic screen crackling (clever, huh?). it's not nearly as cool sounding as the click of the screen itself. I think it sounds kind of cheap. Anyway...I was wondering what some of you think about just cutting/pulling it off? It can't really offer that much protection from a drop (it's a thin piece of milar) and I've never been that worried about scratching that piece of glass. Also, because of the new open sides, it doesn't really offer any dust or water protection. Has anyone yanked it out?

Thanks,

Grey
    Took mine off, still have a regular screen protector on my berry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-10-09 09:41 PM
    I just received my Otterbox today and I didn't notice any clear membrane crackling, though I do have the sticking between the screens. It's weird since I made it a point to ensure the inside of the membrane was clean and dry prior to assembly.

Does the crackling occur after some period of time of use?
    04-10-09 09:45 PM
    Took mine off, still have a regular screen protector on my berry.

Did you just pull it off, or cut it?

Grey
    04-10-09 09:50 PM
    Took mine off also... just peeled it right off - very easy...
    04-10-09 11:32 PM
    The incipio case blows the otter box away and its half the price.
    Your CRAZY.....
    Doesn't' even come CLOSE...
    04-11-09 12:05 AM
    MY MESSAGE TO ALL OF YOU GUYS

Please let otterbox know you are not satisfied. We shouldn't have to cut,drill, take a apart this case to make it work. Most of us paid over 50 bucks including shipping. Look at some of the other otterbox's they have a inner plastic membrane that wraps around the screen. That would be a great design for this phone. Even compared to the iphone case this one sucks. Please just let them know otterbox is a great company they will listen if they are told we aren't happy. I've read most of the comments here and I'm shocked so many people think this case is good enough or if I just do this it will work. No you don't even have to send it back to them just *****.

04-11-09 12:10 AM
    I love my otter box but I hated that plastic cover. I took it off and threw it away and got a different screen protector. Other than that I love the rest of the case. I have droped mine about 6 feet and it protected the phone perfectly. I figured the LCD would have been toast but nothing happened to it. I swear by the otter box now. Sure you may get different cases for half the money but I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for.

04-11-09 12:17 AM
    I have no issues with sound.. I just tunred the volume up all the way and I can hear fine.. and ppl can hear me as well.. Wonder whats' goin on.. And yes.. if you have issues email them.. they listen !
    04-11-09 12:18 AM
    Hey xxfire thanks for chiming in here. I think your 2 cents sold a lot of these cases for them. I love it I need it but I shouldn't have to self correct things like this.

04-11-09 12:26 AM
    Hey xxfire thanks for chiming in here. I think your 2 cents sold a lot of these cases for them. I love it I need it but I shouldn't have to self correct things like this.

I'll email my gal or call her monday and see what she says about the issue...
    04-11-09 01:35 AM
    I love the otterbox too. But I couldn't stand the screen protector so I just took it off. Its pretty simple just push gently on the screen protector and it just comes off.

04-11-09 02:04 AM
    I just got the replacement, but have yet to try it.

As for protection, I use to drop my pearl all the time, sometimes even on purpose to show people the protection. I am not that brave yet with the storm, but I trust it fully for when it one will happen.
    04-11-09 02:26 AM
    My major issue with the Otterbox Storm case 1.0 was that it was nearly impossible to type on the outside edges of the keyboard when sending a message. To this point Otterbox has been a great company and, in all seriousness, fixed this issue (95%) within a few months. I don't know many (really any) other companies that have operated this efficiently in such a short amount of time.

I can now finally say that case 2.0 is a major improvement, and would recommend it to anyone who wants a high level of protection for their storm. It might not be for everyone, but you can always use the case when you need it and take it off when you don't. As for the plastic on the screen, I understand that, aesthetically, it might not be the most desirable. Still, in the grand scheme of case design, I can't imagine anything less intrusive, yet retains solid screen protection from minor scratches and abrasions.
    04-11-09 02:34 PM
    I (the op) have pulled off the screen. Now everything is perfect. I will, as suggested, email otterbox about this.

Grey
    04-11-09 03:38 PM

I agree that xxfire sold me and alot of people on this case. just got mine yesterday and put it on. Although some have posted that they are having problems with the volume, I haven't experienced any of those difficulties. As far as the crackle of the screen protector goes, it did initially crackle alot when I pressed it but it seems to have gotten quieter as time has gone on. I have to do the drop test yet...
    04-11-09 03:59 PM
    I have had the new version of the Otterbox for about a week and a half now with no problems other than the screen sticking to my Storms screen, making a watermark. After the baby powder trick I no longer have that problem. I can understand that it might degrade the view, but that is only if there is too much powder left on the screens. I gently wiped my screen with a teeshirt after putting on the powder and it no longer sticks and no degradation of the screen.

I have no issues hearing and no one has complained about hearing me. Also I fond it very easy and pretty fast to take the case off when I want to, but after having it on now for the week I am used to the little extra size, and I think it feels better in my hands.

I think the box is great for me for my profession and so far I like it alot. Only my 2 cents though.
    04-11-09 07:13 PM
    I really think the OB is an awesome case. Its protection is probably better than anything else you could buy, and I like the bigger feel of it in your hands. I do think that the Storm's screen is a critical item on the phone, as the entire phone is the screen, and it's probably the #1 reason most of us bought it. Therefore, I'm not in favor of anything degrading the usability and beauty of the screen. I'm happier having taken the OB screen protector off. In reality, it's a thin piece of plastic that offers no protection at all from a drop, and I'd guess that the glass of the actual screen is a whole lot less likely to get scratched than the OB plastic anyway.

Grey
    04-11-09 08:13 PM
    I took it off and replaced it with the old plastic cover. That one never gave me any water marks and still doesn't.
    04-11-09 08:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD