Well I just received my otterbox and I love it so far. The bulk issue I was concerned about doesn't really bother me at all.
    My question is dealing with the film/skin included to cover the keys. Now I have a BSE that I havnt used yet and I'm debating. How many of you use the full keyboard cover? Is it a better option just to use BSE and the otterbox?

Worst case scenario if keyboard faces to much wear it can be replaced right? Sorry I am very OCD with my curve and wanted to hear some feedback.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-08-08 11:11 PM
    I have a pearl, I modified my clear membrane so that it doesnt cover the screen (i use an invisible shield on that) but I have the keyboard covered.

It makes me nervous to not have it all covered which is why I use the invisible shield. I started using that because it was way too hard to keep the bubbles out of the otterbox screen
    Last edited by oops956; 10-08-08 at 11:27 PM.
    10-08-08 11:16 PM
    You use the cover for the back too or invis on back too?

10-08-08 11:28 PM
    I use the otterbox membrane. Its the only one that I have seen that protects the camera although the picture quality goes down with it, I would rather it be protected.
    10-08-08 11:31 PM
    Basically the invisible shield protects the screen and the otterbox membrane is modified to cover everything else
    10-08-08 11:32 PM
    I don't even have the clear films installed on my otterbox. The case combination provides the kind of protection I was looking for from the bumps, crashes and fumbles I seem to be so good at. I've found that the keyboard is really pretty well protected the way the case is raised around it. I've also learned that my bb is wayyyy too easy to destroy around wet environments so I now just make sure to keep it out of the elements or else I would uwse the clear shields to help.
    10-09-08 07:24 AM
    If the camera quality is an issue I've heard of using a hole punch on the plastic in front of the lens. Obviously you would sacrifice some water protection but it may be worth it if your not using your CB really bad weather

10-09-08 08:39 AM
    If the camera quality is an issue I've heard of using a hole punch on the plastic in front of the lens. Obviously you would sacrifice some water protection but it may be worth it if your not using your CB really bad weather
    Keep in mind too, that the Otterbox is water "resistant", not waterproof. It will survive the occasional misting or light splash. If the weather or conditions are really bad you should use a dry bag or at least a few layers of baggies.
    10-09-08 08:45 AM
    For me, camera quality is the only issue I have with my Otterbox for my Curve. I say for the Curve specifically because I didn't have this problem with the Otterbox on my Pearl.

I no longer have the Pearl, so I can't do a direct comparison, but I'm including a picture with almost two identical pictures (combined into one picture). The image on the left was taken WITH the "clear" membrane installed. The image on the right was taken WITHOUT the "clear" membrane installed. The "clear" membrane was cleaned thoroughly before taking the pictures. Quite a difference, huh?

Both pictures were originally taken at a resolution of 1600 x 1200, we cropped to the same pixel size (360 x 480) and combined together. No other editing was done.

I'm really disappointed with Otterbox's response on this issue. By phone I was told that they weren't aware of any such issue, and was advised to reapply the membrane, which I had already done. By email submitted through their web site I got no response at all, other than the confirmation that they received the email.

On another issue though - a case that was cracked upon arrival - they were great, and sent a replacement immediately with no questions asked.
    10-09-08 03:33 PM
    They have sent me many replacement parts and have been wonderful about it. There was an issue with one of the membranes they sent me being very cloudy (my pictures turned out much like the one you displayed), when I called them about it they sent 4 replacements.

I have cut a hole out of the camera section of the membrane but it made me nervous having it open so I put a new one on that section. I really wish that otterbox would make a "plug" for the camera slot much like the one that covers the USB port.
    10-09-08 04:36 PM
    They have sent me many replacement parts and have been wonderful about it. There was an issue with one of the membranes they sent me being very cloudy (my pictures turned out much like the one you displayed), when I called them about it they sent 4 replacements.

I have cut a hole out of the camera section of the membrane but it made me nervous having it open so I put a new one on that section. I really wish that otterbox would make a "plug" for the camera slot much like the one that covers the USB port.
    I actually suggested the plug idea to them in my email on August 22, which they never responded to. But your message inspired me to call them to follow-up and I was told that some people have the problem and others don't. So I suggested the possibility of a manufacturing defect with a particular lot, and requested a (couple of) replacement membrane(s), and the guy actually wouldn't do it! What could they cost? 5 cents? I then pressed for an answer as to why some have the problem and others don't, and got him to admit that they don't really know that others don't have the problem, it's just that they aren't getting complaints from EVERYONE. The guy then proceeded to tell me that he just got his dad a case for his 8830, and his dad has no problem. Duh! The 8830 doesn't even have a camera! At that point I gave up, and resigned myself to calling again some other time.
    10-10-08 12:38 AM
    Sorry to hear you guys are having problems with customer service. In my experience, the customer service rep's have been very professional, friendly and helpful. I have had an otterbox on my Pearl for about a year with no problems. I had an issue with my Curve case not snapping together properly. I called them and they sent me a replacement- no questions asked. Ok. Back to Godshairpiece's question. . Just use the BSE if you don't like typing with the keyboard cover. It will do a great job protecting your screen; and yes you can buy a replacement keyboard.

10-10-08 01:06 AM
    yeah, thats part of the reason i dont use my otterbox as much. i only use it at work. other than that i use my seidio case.
    10-10-08 01:12 AM
    I thought I should update my sample image comparing the pictures taken with and without the clear membrane installed. I have since taken a third picture using my Curve, but with the membrane from a Pearl case covering the lens. Now I feel even more aggravated by Otterbox ignoring this issue.
    10-13-08 11:48 PM
    I got mine in a few days ago for my pearl 8130 and have no objections to the membrane. The tactile feel of the keys still kind of weirds me out a bit. I find myself making the occasional typo on it.

That's mainly due to my fingers having less room though.

10-30-08 12:18 AM
    I have the clear membrane and the case on my otterbox. I prefer it and the bubbles aren't noticeable when the backilight is on. To match the yellow case, I put a bit of post-it note over the trackball LED so it now glows yellow . The clear membrane is good because it protects my BB from the dirt and junk my pockets accumulate.
    10-30-08 09:15 AM
    I tried the Otterbox but the bulk factor was not agreeable to me so I ended up taking it off and putting it in the closet.
    10-30-08 11:33 AM
    The Otterbox was too bulky for my needs. I did like the clear membrane and would like to use one with my seidio case. Does anyone know where I can purchase the clear membrane for a curve 8330?
    10-30-08 12:47 PM
    I have been using the Otterbox on an 8830 for about 4 months. I installed the full kit including the membrane that covers the keyboard as I wanted protection as much as possible from causal mist/snow that I might encounter as I am outdoors a lot. The first day or so the keyboard felt different but after that I got used to it and now I do not even notice it. Have dropped it a couple of times on pavement and not even a scratch on the O'box and the 8830 did just fine. Next BB I get will quickly get an O'box for it!!

Only drawback is if you need to do a battery pull it's a pain, but at least so far I have been able to get by with the 3 finger salute to fix any issues that have come up.
    11-04-08 05:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD