Hello All,

I am a new member and a BB Curve (8320) user.

Having gone through several headsets (wired, wireless) of varying quality and price, I still haven't found that perfect headset. What I'm looking for is something I could ride my motorcycle with and be able to walk around the city with - basically very efficient ambient noise isolation, sensitive microphone, good sound quality.

I might be close to one, but will need your help.

I purchased this ear-mic headphone which is a piezoelectric accelerometer (MEMS) based earphone. It's supposed to pick up your voice from the vibrations in your ear while you speak, thus avoiding picking up any other sounds from external/ambient sources. Essentially the speaker/microphone are in the same unit that goes into the ear.
    (Being new here, I'm not able to post links, but search for "Pro Ear-Vibration Speaker/Mic for Yaesu" on EBay if you want to see what I'm referring to).

Now, the earphone was originally designed for a wireless radio/tactical communications (Specifically for Yaesu wireless sets). The unit has a four pin 3.5mm jack, and a push-to-talk button.

I would like to modify this to make work with my Curve. Basically:
    1. Enable basic wired headset functionality using this mic set.
    2. Turn this PTT button into something more useful like initiating a call, hanging up, initiating a re-dial, or voice dial etc.

If someone could kindly post the pin-outs of the standard wired headset that is shipped with the phone I could try to strip and re-wire this unit similarly, HOPING that it would work.

If anyone has already done it would you KINDLY share the procedure?

I would be eternally grateful to anyone who could help - or at least get me started off in the right direction.

Disclaimer: Negligible knowledge of electronics, but have soldered, re-wired stuff before.

Many thanks!
    Ashwin.
    03-16-09 08:09 PM
    It's not that simple.

There are other factors, including mike impedance, speaker impedance, how the mike and speaker are wired up (moto is different from Yaesu from ICOM).

PTT usually either breaks ground, or adds hot somewhere, but remains in line.

Best thing to do would be to take a meter to one of your old, broken headsets and start there.

Then, hope the cabling is actual wire and not that metallized fiber crap a lot of low end people utilize. That stuff is about impossible to do anything with.

Definately post if you figure it out, and if noone shares the pinouts with you, consider emailing a headphone or intercom manufacturer and see if they can help you.

-Shawn
    04-19-09 10:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD