I'm having a problem with the bottom row of buttons on my Storm 2 responding and I'm wondering if it is due to the screen protector that comes with the Otterbox Commuter case or if it's a problem with the phone.

Anyone else having this problem? Should I see about geting a replacement phone. I'm still within my 30 days with VZW.
    02-07-10 08:33 PM
    Hey its not the scrern protector its the case itself. The problem witht the case is that it squeeses the phone so tight that it has pressure issues. once u take off the case u will notice all four of your bottom buttons will work . I have the commuter and will not be using this case
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

02-07-10 08:40 PM
    Thanks for the info.

That's a shame because I really like the protection the case provides.
    02-07-10 08:50 PM
    Seriously? I have had ZERO issues with the OB Commuter or the screen protector. Contact OB and tell them the prob your having. If it is truly the product, expect a new one in a very short time.
    02-07-10 09:05 PM
    I think I'll also check with vzw to make sure there is nothing wrong with the phone as well.

Thanks for all the feedback.
    02-07-10 09:35 PM
    I'm using the Otterbox Defender case, occasionally I'll experience the button-lock problem. Most times it happens in the case but every so often it happens with it off too - I just press in another area of the screen before trying again, usually that's all it takes. I've tried .428 leaked OS and two hybrids, it's still present but not as much as the official OS release (.320).
    Give it a couple days with pressing in another area of the screen before exchanging, unless it'll put you past the 30-day mark
    02-07-10 09:43 PM
    I had the same issue when I first started using the commuter case. I removed the screen protector and no problems with the bottom buttons. I now have my storm wrapped in best skins ever full protection and the commuter and have no problems. Hope this helps.
    02-07-10 09:43 PM
    I had the same issue when I first started using the commuter case. I removed the screen protector and no problems with the bottom buttons. I now have my storm wrapped in best skins ever full protection and the commuter and have no problems. Hope this helps.
    Might be on to something here, when I read your post I realized that whether the CASE is on or off, the screen protector is still on it. I may need to do a little shopping around for a new screen cover to go with the case
    02-07-10 09:51 PM
    good to know...I was shopping around for one of these.
    02-07-10 11:18 PM
    I have tried both the Boxwave and the Steinheil. The Boxwave had more trouble. So far so good on the Steinheil with this case.

I have noticed the Steinheil seems to lay flatter so maybe that had something to do with it.
    02-09-10 12:41 AM
    No problems here and I use both the commuter and the defender (defender at work, commuter when I'm off).. I don't use the clear screen protector that otterbox provides tho, I use a PhantomSkinz screen protector which in my opinion is a better screen protector anyways...

But yah, I've had some type of case on my S2 since I got it back in November and haven't had a single problem. Otterbox cases are top notch, and the best out there in my opinion. Plus, their customer service can't be beat.

Last edited by HollowPoint.357; 02-09-10 at 10:46 AM.
    02-09-10 10:43 AM
    no problems here with the case or protector
    02-09-10 12:09 PM
    I have the same problem with the case as you, fv. I think it has something to do with the coverage of the case not allowing your finger to come fully into contact with the button. The phone doesn't register the finger contact and doesn't allow the screen to move. It also doesn't help that I have large thumbs and can't make full contact with those buttons with the case on.
    02-09-10 08:14 PM
    I have the same problem with the case as you, fv. I think it has something to do with the coverage of the case not allowing your finger to come fully into contact with the button. The phone doesn't register the finger contact and doesn't allow the screen to move. It also doesn't help that I have large thumbs and can't make full contact with those buttons with the case on.
    Last Friday I did an exchange, and since then I've been using my Otterbox Defender without a screen protector. Also using a hybrid, but the end result is that I have no bottom buttons locking up. Therefore, I'm changing my opinion - it's what is being put on the screen, not the case(s)

02-09-10 08:25 PM
    Hello. I have an Otterbox Commuter and gave up trying to get the screen protector on. About a week later my wife got an iToy and some screen covers. I cut one of them to about 2mm all round smaller than the visible part of the screen with the Commuter case fitted. I then fitted it and while it is obvious that it doesn't go right to the edge it seems to be doing the job fine.

Last night the phone got confused with restarts from Quick Launch and MeterBerry and I ended up having to do a battery out type battery pull. There was no dust or anything inside that might have got through in the millimetric size allowance that will have been designed in to allow the screen protector to go under the edge of the silicone inner lining of the Commuter.

Hope that all makes sense!!

Phil
    02-10-10 02:55 AM
    I've had the Commuter for a couple of days now & have been having the problem. My back button would work about 1 out of every 10 times I pressed it, at best. It didn't matter if the outer shell was on or off, or if the silicon was on or off. The problem was always there.

This morning I called Otterbox & told them this. The rep told me that they know about it & will be releasing a new screen protector within a couple of weeks. He said to cut off the bottom of the protector for now & that will fix the problem. I did & it's back to how it was before I got the case. This may be why VZW's own screen protectors don't cover those buttons.

I was quite amused when the rep first said that he'd never heard of this problem. I'm used to hearing that from VZW (mostly when I was using the Storm 1), but I didn't expect to hear it from Otterbox. At least they're actually doing something about the problem.
    02-18-10 06:24 PM
    nlitenme,

This is good to know. I informed VZW about the problem last week and they just sent me out a new phone. I'll try using their protector, however I really liked the fact that Otterbox's protector covered everything.

Does anyone know of a screen protector that covers everything that doesn't interfere with the bottom buttons?
    02-18-10 10:51 PM
    nlitenme,

This is good to know. I informed VZW about the problem last week and they just sent me out a new phone. I'll try using their protector, however I really liked the fact that Otterbox's protector covered everything.

Does anyone know of a screen protector that covers everything that doesn't interfere with the bottom buttons?
    The Steinheil are great...
    02-18-10 11:13 PM
    I've had the Commuter for a couple of days now & have been having the problem. My back button would work about 1 out of every 10 times I pressed it, at best. It didn't matter if the outer shell was on or off, or if the silicon was on or off. The problem was always there.

This morning I called Otterbox & told them this. The rep told me that they know about it & will be releasing a new screen protector within a couple of weeks. He said to cut off the bottom of the protector for now & that will fix the problem. I did & it's back to how it was before I got the case. This may be why VZW's own screen protectors don't cover those buttons.

I was quite amused when the rep first said that he'd never heard of this problem. I'm used to hearing that from VZW (mostly when I was using the Storm 1), but I didn't expect to hear it from Otterbox. At least they're actually doing something about the problem.
    I wonder if they'll send us out the new version if we already bought the case? I didn't have the problem with pressing the buttons, but I did find that it didn't fit quite right. It was a little too wide and not long enough? I removed it anyway because I somehow managed to get a speck of dirt under it right in the middle and it was driving me crazy.
    02-19-10 12:54 AM
    I wonder if they'll send us out the new version if we already bought the case? I didn't have the problem with pressing the buttons, but I did find that it didn't fit quite right. It was a little too wide and not long enough? I removed it anyway because I somehow managed to get a speck of dirt under it right in the middle and it was driving me crazy.
    The rep I spoke with said that they will, but he didn't sound very convincing. He told me to call back in a couple of weeks to find out more. I/we will have to wait & see how they handle this.
    02-19-10 01:38 PM
    Anyone having a problem with the defender case with the phone on vibrate. I can never feel the phone when I either get a call or text message.
    02-22-10 08:20 AM
    Anyone having a problem with the defender case with the phone on vibrate. I can never feel the phone when I either get a call or text message.
    Yup, and that's because the screen isn't touching anything. I sent an email to Otterbox detailing how to correct this; got a reply that said they'd pass it along to their engineering department for future consideration :P

02-22-10 10:36 AM
    Thanks for the info.

That's a shame because I really like the protection the case provides.
    Buy the Incipio version same idea better design.
    02-22-10 11:46 AM
    The Steinheil are great...
    I received my Steinheil Antiglare Screen protector today and it's working fine with the Otterbox Commuter case! Thanks for the recommendation.
    02-24-10 08:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD