Has anyone seen or used one of these?
    Last edited by cap10mark; 03-09-09 at 07:41 AM.
    03-09-09 05:44 AM
    It appears to be the Motorola P790. It gets very good reviews on ZDnet and Amazon.
    03-09-09 07:47 AM
    Another gadget to tote around and be used every three months! Where would we be if we didn't have an electrical outlet handy for recharging -- Afghanistan?

A car charger stashed in the glove compartment, I can see. But a portable charger to be hauled around and used instead of plugging in? Gizmo Overkill.
    03-09-09 08:37 AM
    I have not, but I know people who have used something like that before (not the Motorola one though). It is very handy when you are out for an extended period of time and you don't have your car with you. For example, camping and hiking.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-09-09 08:40 AM
    Another gadget to tote around and be used every three months! Where would we be if we didn't have an electrical outlet handy for recharging -- Afghanistan?

A car charger stashed in the glove compartment, I can see. But a portable charger to be hauled around and used instead of plugging in? Gizmo Overkill.
    I picked up one of the portable chargers from VZW the other day and really love it!
    And no...it's not just another gadget to tote around.
    FYI...I work on Lake Erie and some of our towboats do not have an outlet handy. This charger worked great for me yesterday! Nice and small to carry and a real powerhouse to charge my Storm.
    03-22-09 12:05 PM
    looks nifty a little impractical for some but I guess if I worked on a towboat might come in handy.
    03-22-09 12:14 PM
    I got a Powerstick made by Ecosol from Best Buy. It has 9 connectors that covers Palm Treo, Nokia, Mini USB, Micro USB, Samsung, LG Chocolate, Sony Ericson, Ipod, IPonne and many others.
    03-22-09 11:35 PM
    Funny that people take things for granted...
    Like charging your cellphone...
    I think it's great...
    I have a little solar "things" called a Solio.
    It's a solar USB charger...

I use it when I'm gone for 14 day fire assignments and I don't see electricity for 2 weeks. I don't see a bed for 2 weeks. I don't see a shower for a week...

Thanks Capt. Mark...
    From Capt. Rich
    03-22-09 11:55 PM
    You guys obviously don't spend very much time on an airplane. :-) Yes, I have a Motorola P790 portable battery. It actually works very well if you have something that uses a mini-USB. The Storm does not, so I no longer use it. There are a number of equivalent batteries out there that just have a USB port and you can use whatever cable you have to recharge an item: Storm, iPod Touch, Bluetooth Headset, etc. Also, I prefer something flatter than the P790, with is nearly an inch thick.
    03-23-09 09:24 AM

YOU don't need one, so obviously it's a useless device for EVERYONE.

I don't have the Motorola P790, but like jbharman45 said, I find gizmos like this to be helpful especially while traveling. There are times I simply don't have access to an outlet (e.g., plane, conference, etc.). Sure, I could carry an extra battery, but a device like this chages my phone, BT headset, and other assorted gadgets. Besides, a true gadget geeks doesn't care about practicality.
    Last edited by crackberryfan; 03-23-09 at 09:54 AM.
    03-23-09 09:50 AM
    So on the other side of that little unit is the prongs and you just plug it in then set the storm on the usb connection on top and let it surf until charged?
    03-23-09 10:43 AM
    Awesome-- I could really use one of these! Being out in the field without power for weeks at a time can drive you mad!
    03-23-09 11:11 AM
    crap yea i need this for my storm
    03-23-09 11:32 AM
    just another tool to carry around use a car charger or usb cable less hassle.
    03-23-09 11:37 AM
    just another tool to carry around use a car charger or usb cable less hassle.
    I take it you didn't read the previous posts? There are times when those are useless due to being in a place that does not have them.
    03-23-09 11:42 AM
    So on the other side of that little unit is the prongs and you just plug it in then set the storm on the usb connection on top and let it surf until charged?
    Plugs into the side of it like your normal charger. Use it as it's charging!
    Last edited by cap10mark; 03-23-09 at 11:51 AM.
    03-23-09 11:43 AM
    Plugs into the side of it like your normal charger. Use it as it's charging!
    Oh, so you charge the unit and then the charge in the unit charges the storm? In that pic the recharging unit is not plugged in?
    03-23-09 12:51 PM
    i have a "sidewinder" hand crank charger that i use when i am out camping. takes a while to charge the batteries up (read forever) but when your 30 miles form an outlet a hand crank is better than a dead phone.
    03-23-09 01:19 PM
    Yeah, I have packed on of these devices and used mine for the last few years. Granted only a few times a year, but when I'm in the field without a laptop and I'm running low - this has saved my **** several times. I would NOT travel without it.
    03-23-09 01:23 PM
    Oh, so you charge the unit and then the charge in the unit charges the storm? In that pic the recharging unit is not plugged in?
    Yes, you charge up the P790, and then charge your phone on the go. The pic is the charging unit charging my Storm. It's a portable battery and works beyond my expectations!
    03-23-09 01:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD