I know the more you charge a battery in a cell phone, even if you plug it in for 2 minutes, the more you waste a battery cycle. I've been plugging in my phone to the CPU and into the charger at night at least twice a day, sometimes more. In doing this, am I slowly killing my full battery life every time? My battery is about 70-65% right now taken off the charger at around 145pm after making a good amount of quick calls to a lot of people (New years madness), 1 battery pull for a VZW lock up screen ( ) and some SMS texts. I'm going to be at a party in which the persons house has little to no service, and I dont know if I should plug it in and waste a cycle charging it for an hour or so. Any insight? Thanks all.

Happy New Years

(Posted by accidentally in OS/Beta discussion forums. Moving it here)
    12-31-08 06:20 PM
    I'm not too sure about the whole cycle battery thing with these new batteries. I believe they are made to withstand a lot more when it comes to half charges...however that beings said over time it might degrade your cycle. ( have found car chargers to be the worst)

However a quick fix for that (and this might be an urban legend but I swear it has worked for me in the past) is to drain your battery fully...stick it in a ziplock back, put it in the freezer for a few hours...take out...let cool then charge fully uninterrupted.

Resets the battery to original cycle
    12-31-08 06:29 PM
    I'm not too sure about the whole cycle battery thing with these new batteries. I believe they are made to withstand a lot more when it comes to half charges...however that beings said over time it might degrade your cycle. ( have found car chargers to be the worst)

However a quick fix for that (and this might be an urban legend but I swear it has worked for me in the past) is to drain your battery fully...stick it in a ziplock back, put it in the freezer for a few hours...take out...let cool then charge fully uninterrupted.

Resets the battery to original cycle

That freezer tip is interesting I'll have to give it a shot.

As far as the cycle thing I think your right. It was my understanding that the new batteries are a lot better over time its not good.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-09 08:21 PM
    Don't make a habit of fully discharging your battery, these are lithium ion batteries and don't like being deep cycled like the old nicad batteries did. I charge the battery on my 8830 as often as I can and it has provided great service.
    01-16-09 08:39 PM
    Don't make a habit of fully discharging your battery, these are lithium ion batteries and don't like being deep cycled like the old nicad batteries did. I charge the battery on my 8830 as often as I can and it has provided great service.
    Correct, and there are notices in your manual that tell you to charge your device regularly. My battery life has improved substantially since the device was new. Ran it down a couple of times early on, but figured out that it beeps at you and flashes like its shaking a finger at you.

01-17-09 12:13 AM
    I usually leave mine plugged up over night and no problems so far.

01-17-09 12:18 AM
    No significant problem with charging it overnight, or charging it more than once a day. Yes you're technically "using up a cycle" but 1. li-ion batteries are rated for hundreds of cycles, 2. the battery is replaceable, and 3. it's quite likely that you'll be ready for a new phone when it's time to replace your battery.

So charge away and don't worry about it. Like others have posted don't let it fully discharge.
    01-17-09 12:38 AM
    I believe it is a cycle killer. Lithium batteries can only be recharged so many times.if you charge it too often then you may need to get a battery in less than a year, but that is ok cause Verizon will replace it if it goes bad on you in less than a year.

01-17-09 12:46 AM
    I think cycle killer also. Once again only so many charge cycles then that battery is history. It's up to you really what ya wanna do.
    01-17-09 12:57 AM
    it beeps at you and flashes like its shaking a finger at you.

Is there a setting to turn on the beep? Mine doesn't...
    01-17-09 01:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD