09-10-08 09:30 AM
57 123
tools
    I have had a Speck for the last 4 months. I have no issues with
    it at all, except the lack of a magnet (and I solved that rather
    nicely IMHO).

Instructions? Doesn't really need any. It's extremely obvious how
    to install it and take it off. sorry but it is.

Falling out while bending? Never happened, even during many
    rounds of golf.

And I never get dust or anything else under it. I like it so much
    I have 1 extra on hand just in case.
    09-03-08 05:53 AM
    AG- You have the 8310 which it is obviously made to fit correctly. I could see if it fit the phone I would be extremely happy with it too...
    09-03-08 06:34 AM
    TyD, yes that is correct. I was just pointing out it is a fine
    product when used for the device it was actually designed for.

But there is nothing on the Speck site that indicates it will fit
    on a 8330. That is not a fault of the case, but the user.
    Bashing the case because they did not do adequate research
    is just massively senseless to me.
    09-03-08 06:55 AM
    have the same case. have dropped my BB and it worked great. no scratch's or damage to my CB
    09-03-08 07:02 AM
    sorry to hear about your bb. I am an otterbox guy myself. wont go with anything else.
    09-03-08 07:18 AM

I agree.. I bought it knowing it wouldnt fit my phone but for 10 bucks i thought i would try it... i didnt respond until the guy asking about it for his 8330 starting asking questions..
    09-03-08 08:25 AM

Speck says that it's a universal case made to fit all Blackberry Curves. Since the 8330 is my first BB, I was naive in thinking that all Curves are created equal.

There's also nothing on the site that says it won't fit an 8330. It just says Curves. Call my thread senseless, but I'll bet that I just saved a few people $25.
    09-03-08 12:03 PM
    He is correct. Nowhere on the Speck site does it mention which Curves it fits. It is unfortunate. You can check for yourself:
    www . speckproducts . com/products/seethru/blackberry-curve/96

Whereas on the seidio site (www . seidioonline . com), you pick your phone (8300, 8310, 8320, or 8330) to ensure that you get the appropriate case.

All in all I'd say this is a useful warning to all CDMA users. Do not get the Speck case because it does not fit the CDMA curve.

But while we're on the subject, does anyone know if a curve fitted with such a case would be able to slide into a leather pouch?

-randy

ps
    sorry for the crappy links. apparently you can't post links till you've had 10 posts.
    09-04-08 01:52 AM
    Rlevine it will not fit into the blackberry leather case but if you buy a bigger one it might

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-04-08 02:18 AM
    I have to agree fully with TyD and Hua, if I would have found this thread before I ordered the Speck case, I wouldn't have ordered it!

Speck needs to put a note on their site saying it's NOT made for the Sprint Curve!
    09-04-08 05:53 AM
    On the Speck site in the details section it list the dimensions
    of the case, anyone who read that would clearly know it
    would not fit a 8330.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 09-04-08 at 09:33 AM.
    09-04-08 09:26 AM
    I saw that it has dimensions but are the dimensions of the CDMA and GSM curves that much different? I was under the impression that they were just different enough to cause the case not to fit.
    If the dimensions are so noticeably different that would be a different story. Still, there is something to be said for the fact that the Speck site says it is for "curves" not any specific model. In most cases, when a customer shops for accessories, if a product says it is compatable with their phone, there would be no reason to check the specific dimensions.
    Of course, now that I know this, I will always double check for compatability with my 8330.

-randy

09-04-08 10:33 AM
    would not fit a 8330.
    Speck doesn't list the depth of their case on the site. So clearly, you wouldn't know that it doesn't fit the 8330.

If any of you still want to buy it and try it, I'd suggest picking it up at T-Mobile for $10. It's definitely not worth the $25.
    09-04-08 12:38 PM
    What version does verizon have?

09-04-08 01:59 PM
    Verizon has the 8330. It shares the dimensions of the sprint curve, I believe: just a bit thicker than the curves for tmobile and att.

09-04-08 02:05 PM
    Reason I ask.. Walked into a verizon corporate store on saturday to see what they had as far as cases go and guess what they were carrying?!?!

09-04-08 02:08 PM
    Can I venture a guess?
    The speck case?
    I guess verizon has fallen victim to speck's poor advertising as well. The wool has been pulled over the eyes, as it were.

-randy

09-04-08 02:14 PM
    Sure nuff..

09-04-08 02:24 PM
    would not fit a 8330.
    Then I'll be the 1st to say NOT ME! I have no idea what the dimensions of the Sprint Curve is. When I buy an accessory, I am looking for it to tell me it will fit a CDMA Curve. I dont think thats asking for too much. How many people can say they actually know the dimensions of their Curve.

Verizon has the 8330. It shares the dimensions of the sprint curve, I believe: just a bit thicker than the curves for tmobile and att.

My point exactly. To say that it shares the same dimensions but a bit thicker would mean the dimensions are not the same.
    09-04-08 07:12 PM
    Reason I ask.. Walked into a verizon corporate store on saturday to see what they had as far as cases go and guess what they were carrying?!?!

Can I venture a guess?
    The speck case?
    I guess verizon has fallen victim to speck's poor advertising as well. The wool has been pulled over the eyes, as it were.

-randy

I've read countless post and customer reviews regarding Speck cases that I wouldnt use one even if it were FREE!! Some people have no problems with their cases, but a large majority do. The #1 complaint I've read the most is Speck cases will scratch (if not right away, eventually) whatever they are used on.
    09-04-08 07:16 PM
    Tru dat scandelex... I am not using mine anymore and have noticed some light scratching

09-04-08 07:31 PM
    Tru dat scandelex... I am not using mine anymore and have noticed some light scratching

I'm seriously delighted you stopped using it; the scratches will only get worse and by then you'd have to keep your BB covered up due to embarrassment.

My research with Speck began when I was looking for a hard shell case for my MacBook. I went to Apples site and a few others and OMG!
    I feel more people should read reviews before making certain purchases. In the end, you still may want to buy the product, but at least you do so forewarned.
    09-04-08 07:41 PM
    I agree with you there. I always look for reviews and opinions before I buy, even if, like you said, I end up buying despit bad reviews. This is exactly why I won't get the speck case. I have done the research and now I know it is no good: doesn't fit my curve and it may leave scratches.
    Still, it is dissapointing to me that a company wouldn't know or acknowledge that their accessory is only compatable with certain models; it is even more dissapointing that verizon is selling this case! There's gotta be someone there who has used or tested it. Or perhaps speck made a different case specifically for verizon and it isn't offered elsewhere yet? I doubt it, but you never know.

-randy

09-04-08 09:03 PM
    The friend that had originally referred me to Speck as a company has the ToughSkin for the iPhone and he loves it. He swears by the quality of it so maybe Speck isn't bad as an accessory making company, just this clear plastic case. It's ashame they would waste R&D to make a cheap thin plastic case for Blackberries. It's shocking they don't make any rubber cases for BB's like the ToughSkin for iPhones.
    09-05-08 04:16 AM
    i've done some quick web-research and take a look at some of what i've found:

verizon curve (8330) dimensions:
    4.21, 2.36, 0.61 (verizonwirless . com)
    4.2, 2.4, 0.6 (blackberry . com)

ATT curve (8310) dimensions:
    4.21, 2.36, 0.61 (wireless . att . com)
    4.2, 2.4, 0.6 (blackberry . com) (8300 and 8310 have identical specs)

Tmobile curve (8320) dimensions:
    4.2, 2.4, 0.6 (tmobile . com)
    4.2, 2.4, 0.6 (blackberry . com)

Speck case dimensions:
    4.25, 2.75, 1.5 (speckproducts . com)

It is also interesting to note that while blackberry . com says the dimensions for all devices are the same, that the weight is slightly different; the 8300, 8310, and 8320 come in at 3.9oz, and the 8330 comes in at 4.02oz. Also, note that the speck site does not list interior dimensions, just the exterior. those exterior dimensions could very well fit each different curve. the only reason that i know it doesn't is by virtue of a variety of posts on this forum.
    so, it is conceivable to think that a person could do all this research and believe that the speck case fits their device. however, also note that most other hard case manufacturers (or at least a few others that i've seen) specifically mention which curve it fits, usually listing the 8300, 8310, and 8320 but not the 8330. then they offer a separate case for the 8330. you'll see this on a lot of ebay listings, as well as with the seidico cases. i don't think this is the kind of thing most consumers should have to do, nevertheless i usually and probably will always do this amount of research into a product for precisely this reason. because at the end of the day, no matter who is at fault, i don't want to waste my time and/or money on an accessory that may not be compatible and has the potential to do harm to the product.

-randy
    09-05-08 11:33 AM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD