My phone wasn't charging with my home charger so I bought a new one and it won't charge with that one either. It will, however, charge with the USB cord on the computer and with the car and wall charger adapters. It will also charge with chargers for different phones. I don't actually leave it plugged in to different chargers cause I know that can sometimes have negative effects, I just tried plugging them in to my phone to check if it was my phone or my charger. So basically my phone will charge on any charger except for blackberry wall chargers which is irritating cause the stupid USB cord is so short! Any insight on this issue?
    12-03-10 03:45 PM
    Two bad wall chargers? When everything else is eliminated, the remaining answer, no matter how implausible, must be correct.
    12-03-10 04:04 PM
    That or my blackberry has turned anti-blackberry lol. Clearly my situation is only irritating at most, but it seems odd to me still. Well, if there's anyone else out there who's experienced this at all and can offer anything it would be much appreciated.
    12-03-10 11:06 PM
    You can use any charger for any phone without worry, as long as the charger has a mating USB connector and can deliver 5V at a minimum of 500mA. That's the USB standard. Some RIM-branded wall chargers may deliver higher current. In re-reading your original post, I noticed you made a distinction between "home charger" and "wall charger adapter." What are the current ratings of the two devices you tried?
    12-04-10 06:11 PM
    JeffH is correct. He, like me, is an electrical engineer. Whilst older BlackBerrys and BlackBerry wall chargers delivered the same current and voltage as a standard USB port, (500mA at 5 Volts), modern BlackBerrys require 700mA at 5 Volts.

Some USB ports will supply this increased load whilst others baulk at the extra current drain.

Similarly some wall chargers are current limited to 500mA.

Your phone requires a 700mA charger and the current rating of any BlackBerry charger is printed on the top of it if you look at the horribly faint print there.

I have a BlackBerry charger that works just fine in the US but will not charge when I'm in Europe.

I hope this helps.
    12-04-10 06:38 PM
    It's the wall charger that came with my phone that stopped working. I have a wall and car adapter that attach to the USB cord and my phone will charge using the USB cord whether I plug it into the wall, car or computer. It will also charge if I plug it into a charger for a different phone. I bought a charger to replace the original one, but that one won't work either. Both my old charger and the new one say 5V 700 mA. I was only concerned about using a "wrong" charger because I've read about catastrophic results due to that. Like I said, I still have a way to charge my phone but the USB cord is so short I'm limited to where I can use it. I'm just confused, sigh.
    12-04-10 09:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD