09-24-08 12:39 AM
205 123 ...
tools
    Hi,

So I recently purchased a few cases to paint them and my process is creating some really awesome cases.

Check them out, and I welcome any comments, good or bad.

And many more to come. ...
    08-20-08 11:47 PM
    Looks good...Nice and cleanly done
    08-21-08 12:00 AM
    Great job looks good!
    08-21-08 12:03 AM
    I've painted my housings before, and the problem I ran into was that the paint chips off/rubs off after heavy use. The OEM paint is baked on, so it hardens the exterior. Regular spray paint will not produce this same finish.
    Last edited by Five; 08-21-08 at 12:05 AM. Reason: s
    08-21-08 12:04 AM
    Looks great! It looks like you really pay attention to detail. I like the orange a lot, it would contrast nicely with a black keyboard I think.

I've painted my housings before, and the problem I ran into was that the paint chips off/rubs off after heavy use. The OEM paint is baked on, so it hardens the exterior. Regular spray paint will not produce this same finish.
    Prep and a good clear coat will help as far as longevity. I read her previous post where she was looking to trade for a 8330 case and she had said she did clear coat. Anyways, it looks really good!
    08-21-08 12:14 AM
    this can be very true about standard spray paint, but if you use a sealant as in the stuff model makers use, you don't have to bake the paint.

also there are many types of paint out there that finish very well & will not chips and/or peal.

regular spray paint is not at all one of those types of paint.

also i believe she is using high grade model paint with a sealant finish.

looks good, but better pictures would make it look just that much better.

name your price girl, i think you can sell these.

and/or take custom orders... :||
    Last edited by ennTOXX; 08-21-08 at 12:19 PM.
    08-21-08 01:29 AM
    I would pay for these Im wanting to upgrade, and my husband is gonna take my pearl let me add pink pearl! lol!! so i need to be a nice wife and change the color if possible. if you decide to sell send me a message. I'd be glad to talk biz with ya! did I mention that I like them lol!!
    08-21-08 01:35 AM
    Nice job Becky!!
    08-21-08 02:56 AM
    I would pay for these Im wanting to upgrade, and my husband is gonna take my pearl let me add pink pearl! lol!! so i need to be a nice wife and change the color if possible. if you decide to sell send me a message. I'd be glad to talk biz with ya! did I mention that I like them lol!!
    I am just waiting for the bottom covers, once I get those I am definitely up for selling them. I have more cases on the way, and I am currently working on a blue one.

Once I start getting my supply of cases I will be up for taking requests for certain colors.

The orange, pink, and blue (once I am done with the blue) will hopefully be ready to sell hopefully by this weekend.

Interested in these let me know. I will continue to post the new ones that I do as they are finished.
    08-21-08 08:21 AM
    this is can be very true about standard spray paint, but if you use a sealant as in the stuff model makers use, you don't have to back the paint.

also there are many types of paint out there that finish very well & will not chips and/or peal.

Thanks!! You are right, I am using a high grade model paint and a sealant finish. I also did use a heating process to ensure that the paint is strong. I am doing my best to look for a product that could possibly be scratch resistant. Until I find it I would suggest getting a skin, its cheap and it protects the phone. If you are going to have an awesome custom color curve might as well take good care of it.

These are just the beginning ... over the next couple weeks I will be doing more. If anyone has any color suggestions throw it out there and I will try it out.
    08-21-08 08:25 AM
    I also tried the regular spray paint, and it was thick and I didnt like it. I could imagine if I would have kept it what would have happened down the road.

I think in the end it depends on the layers of paint how thick they are, and of course the type of paint and clear coat.

So far I havent seen any problems ... but again the phone should be protected, I like to keep things looking brand new so some type of casing or clear skin would be perfect.
    08-21-08 08:29 AM
    this is can be very true about standard spray paint, but if you use a sealant as in the stuff model makers use, you don't have to back the paint.

Good point about the pics. I did this last night, it was really late but since I finished them I wanted to get them out there to see what everyone thought. I will try and get better pics tonight with better lighting and post them. They look so sweet .. very clean! I am soooo excited.
    08-21-08 08:31 AM
    painting is all about the prep work. rattle canning over an oem faceplate is a waste of time.

properly prepping the surface by removing the previous lacquer and using a primer designed for plastics will ensure your paint will properly bond.

using a plasticized/flexible paint designed for plastics application also helps for longevity in plastic applications but will usually require a sealant/clear coat as these paints are usually porous after drying.
    08-21-08 09:20 AM
    Becky, might I suggest air brushing the cases if you aren't already using this method?

I myself create custom xBox 360 controllers and I find this method much easier than model spray paint cans.

The investment is worth it and the possibilities are endless once you master you technique.
    08-21-08 10:08 AM
    Becky, might I suggest air brushing the cases if you aren't already using this method?

I myself create custom xBox 360 controllers and I find this method much easier than model spray paint cans.

The investment is worth it and the possibilities are endless once you master you technique.
    Hi! Yes air brush ... I just spent a pretty penny getting a entire set up to air brush. Actually the pink one is my first prodcut. It turned out well, I used auto air colors. I do like this process, a little messy but I think the pink one turned out perfect!

The only problem with the air brush that I have found (I have only been doing it for a little over a week) is that certain colors dont cover as well or look as nice. I did a blue one and I keep having problems with it. I have done it twice and I just want to scratch it and do something else.

The spray paint process is nice pretty simple but as you said with air brush you can get really crazy. The main reason why I decided to purchase the air brush was because I would like to do even more details, like a pattern, or anything someone might bring up. Completely custom.
    08-21-08 10:19 AM
    WOOOOW!!!!! I want the pink one!!! How much will they be? I'll PM you!
    08-21-08 10:21 AM
    Question, BeckyMae,

Are you using the OEM housings that have the separate lens, or are you using the aftermarket that have the lens built into the front plate?

thanks!
    08-21-08 11:24 AM
    Question, BeckyMae,

Are you using the OEM housings that have the separate lens, or are you using the aftermarket that have the lens built into the front plate?

thanks!
    These are the original housings. The lens can be removed.
    08-21-08 11:26 AM
    Those look awesome!!

I wish I had the patience to do stuff like that!
    08-21-08 11:50 AM
    Great job Becky. How much will you sell these for?
    08-21-08 12:10 PM
    What kinda of kit did you buy?

I have found that certain paints work better then others depending on a ton of things like PSI for your compressor. Or the kind of airbrush you have.

Hey pm me if you have any questions or want to share technique skills. Maybe after my weekend project ill post some pics for you to see.
    08-21-08 12:13 PM
    These are the original housings. The lens can be removed.
    Becky, I bought this housing today. Do you think this is a good one or not? It seemed the most OEM to me. Thanks!

working my way up to ten posts!
    08-21-08 12:34 PM
    08-21-08 12:35 PM
    Becky, I bought this housing today. Do you think this is a good one or not? It seemed the most OEM to me. Thanks!

working my way up to ten posts!
    Definitely ... good price too. Nice job!
    08-21-08 01:05 PM
    What kinda of kit did you buy?

I have found that certain paints work better then others depending on a ton of things like PSI for your compressor. Or the kind of airbrush you have.

Hey pm me if you have any questions or want to share technique skills. Maybe after my weekend project ill post some pics for you to see.
    I will take you up on that offer this afternoon when I get out of work. Very awsome!! Not sure I have any techniques that will help you.. but who knows right.
    08-21-08 01:07 PM
205 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD