I've been looking at buying an otterbox case for my curve but is it really worth it? I mean aside from being ugly as sin, you have to take the whole thing apart to do a battery pull. My job is favorly hard on phones so I'm looking for something that will protect the phone but not make it to difficult to actually use the phone.

If you have it how do you do your battery pulls? Is it really as protective as the site says?
    Last edited by wolf1989; 01-15-09 at 03:29 PM.
    01-15-09 03:27 PM
    Although they work well, Otterbox is over priced (IMO) and like you mentioned, you have to tear it down to get to the battery. I have one on my GPS (kayak) and I've dropped it in the water for over an hour...okay I lost it in the water for over an hour and it held up pretty good...no leaks.

I never used one for a BB though because of the price.
    01-15-09 03:30 PM
    Along with the price you get the best customer service. I have one on my bold and have had them for previous bbs. For tje battery pull part I downloaded Quickpull and haven't had a problem so far.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-15-09 03:53 PM
    Broken phone without otterbox or another cover or you can have a flawless phone with it on... Your choice. My uncle has an otterbox on his 8330 and said he has thrown his phone at his wall and it went through and after he stuck his hand in and pulled it out it was perfect still. They are an amazing product.
    01-15-09 05:37 PM
    too bulky and over priced
    01-15-09 06:00 PM
    I have everything from the OEM case to skins to Seido cases to the Otter... I am big on OEM BB acc... However, I will say, if I look outside and it's raining or snowing, I go with the Otterbox (best protection). Not my everyday, but you won't find better for protection!

Got mine off eBay for a lot less then the list price... Overall, happy with the product!

01-15-09 07:24 PM
    Yea you can try ebay they are quite a bit cheaper there

01-15-09 09:59 PM
    too bulky and over priced
    It is the bulky part that makes it a no-go for me. I am careful with my phones and I have never needed a case like this.

If you are taking real risks with it then it may be worth it though.

01-15-09 10:21 PM
    I have it on my 8310 and love it. It is fully protected and still fits in a shirt pocket as well as the inside pocket on my suit coats. On the weekends it rides in a jacket pocket or on my belt depending on how I am dressed. Either way I don't have to be "new baby" protective of the phone.

As for the battery pull issue...I don't get what everyone is doing to force a pull so often. I have only had to do a pull once since I have had the Curve. If I had to do a weekly pull I would not have the phone.

Irregardless of price (it is high) it's the best protection available for your phone...and best of all the lifetime warranty is the real deal. The folks from Otter Box are no. 1 in customer service.

Just my opinion...YMMV...

Bo
    01-15-09 10:47 PM
    There are two software products that serve to act like a battery pull. SoftReset is one, the other is QuickPull and both are freeware.

In addition, pressing at the same time Alt-RIGHTshift-del twice in succession also works (second time as the screen reappears and turns WHITE). Rarely has my BB locked up where this sequence has not worked. But I also have the 2 programs, also.
    01-15-09 11:39 PM
    I love my otterbox! It's a little expensive and yes, a little bulky but definently worth it! It has a holster as well, which is needed because after the otterbox is installed it doesn't go in pockets too well. As for battery pull... Its not a big deal really to take the rubber lining off and unsnap the plastic frame. I'm rough on phones, and the otterbox has saved my curve several times.

01-15-09 11:58 PM
    saw one on a guys phone at the store two nights ago. Of course being a fellow blackberry owner I had no trouble saying 'scuse me may I hold your berry lol, ok kidding but I did ask to take a look and he was more than happy to let me take a gander. It looked pretty slick and well protected. He likes his alot but its not for me. Way to bulky for my taste. My girl goes naked all day unless I take her out then I cover her with leather..... ( holster that is )
    01-16-09 01:17 AM
    Just received mine today. I love it. Too bad I dropped my Bold on the concrete the second day I had it. LMAO.. luckly, just a scratch on the upper corner.

Yes, it bulky, but my valuable device is protected. I can deal with the bulk.
    01-16-09 01:38 AM
    I would def recommend an outterbox, I was in a car accident recently and my phone was sitting on the seat next to me. You can see where the phone hit the windshield at 55mph and there isn't a scratch on the thing.
    01-16-09 02:00 AM
    depends on the kind of work you are into...contracting/construction is a must...dropped plenty of phones on the job before...not good
    01-16-09 02:15 AM
    worth every penny when you drop your phone. kid proof, water resistant. no scratches. i have it on my pearl. the only part not protected is the trackball. i have dropped it down a flight of stairs, in a parking lot and no damage. i also like the sleep mode for the holster.
    01-16-09 09:35 AM
    I work in security and end up rolling around on the ground with crack heads a few times a week so I'm thinking I should probably get one.

How easy is it to take off? I don't wear a holster except for work and generally just use the sleeve.

01-16-09 12:05 PM
    I work in a 45 year old coal fired power plant. I take my 8330 Curve with me when I leave the control room so I can listen to music while doing my rotuine. I have been soaked with water, showered with coal, and worked in 132deg.F and down to -20deg.F and my Otter Box Defender case has been a life saver for my Berry. I have taken it apart twice to clean my berry and I have to say it looked brand new. Also their customer service is great. My wife tried to unplug my berry one morning in the dark when the alarm was going off and she tore off the USB earplug jack cover. I e-mailed Otter Box and they sent me a new sillicon cover the next day free of charge. I can not say enough good things about the product or the company.

01-16-09 12:22 PM
    01-16-09 02:14 PM
    I LOVE my OtterBox! =)
    01-16-09 02:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD