I am looking for a case for my S2, and Otterbox seems to be the darling of the Crackberry forums. I am a business user-- and my big concerns with Otterbox are 1) the bulk it adds and 2) the difficulty in removing to change the battery.

I like carrying my Storm 2 in my suit jacket pocket-- and I change the battery frequently when I am on the road.

My last BlackBerry was a Bold-- and I bought a Seidio Innocase because of the favorable reviews on this site. But it was a major disappointment-- cheap plastic, very overpriced, and it busted after just a few difficult battery changes.

The Otterbox Defender looks rugged enough to handle urban combat: But it also looks like it's strictly for holster carrying on the belt. The Incipio looks slender enough to slip into a blazer pocket-- but does it actually protect? What's a suit guy to do?
    03-07-10 01:00 PM
    Well, from a protection standpoint, you aren't going to beat the OtterBox. Period. Now it does add some bulk but it is entirely possible to simply carry the OB clad Storm in your suit pocket. Now it all comes down to how much bulk you want to add.
    The Impact case is simply a skin.

The Commuter is a combination of skin wrapped with a hard shell and it is a great case. It doesn't add too much bulk and offers a lot of protection..... BUT it does make it a bit of a pain to swap your battery. It fits VERY snug. I sometimes worry about breaking the dang thing when putting it on/taking it off.

Now the Defender is a hard shell with a silicon skin wrapped around it for shock protection. It adds more bulk (still manageable though) but is actually easier to remove from your phone. Just flip down the lower part of the silicone skin, remove the bottom of the case, and VOILA your Storm slides out without any trouble. I do it all the time and it is quite easy. Easier than removing the Commuter case. And the extra size makes it easier to hold on to the phone with your shoulder when juggling other items.

I usually end up using the Defender when on duty and then on my 4 "off days" I put my Storm in a Commuter case for better "pocketability". But your mileage may vary.

Now if you have problems with the bulk that the Otterboxes add then you will be better off with a case like the incipio or maybe a seidio. But you will be sacrificing protection.
    03-07-10 01:15 PM
    I'm a huge fan of the Incipio Feather case because it is sleek, doesn't change the look of the phone, it slips in and out of pockets easily, AND Incipio has the best customer service on the planet.

But, I'm currently rocking the Otter Box Commuter case and I have to say I truly believe it is the best compromise between sleek looks and maximum protection. The silicone insert does a great job of softening impacts and the outer shell gives it a nice feel while securing the silicone insert. My only complaint is that they don't offer the outer shell in different colors. This case simply rocks though and will fit in extended size holsters.

Look at it this way...the Incipio will protect from normal daily bumps and scrapes and looks/feels great, but if you're a phone dropper at all I would go with the Otter Box. The commuter is great for those who stay close to the ground. If you worked construction or such and might drop your phone from a third floor balcony then I would suggest the Defender.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-07-10 01:32 PM
    I forgot something. I don't find the Commuter to be that hard to remove. When you remove it you just pull the bottom part free first and then it just slips off. Putting it on put the top on first and then work to the bottom. Then just straighten out any kinks in the silicone if there are any. The plastic is pretty flexible and won't break without some serious effort.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-07-10 01:37 PM
    You can check out the Incipio Silicrylic case. I have both and prefer the Silicrylic to the Defender because of the bulk and I had some color options. There's a thread about the silicrylic case. My phone feels well protected. I haven't dropped it on concrete or anything, so I can't tell you in practice what kind of shock it will withstand. My husband always has the Defender on his phone and he drives heavy machinery, and drops his phone on concrete multiple times daily. The Defender has been his only saving grace.
    As a woman and I just don't like my phone looking so "rugged". Sliding it in and out of a pocket is not problem, no lint issues. I still have my defender as a backup, just in case.
    03-07-10 01:48 PM