02-08-11 03:12 AM
39 12
tools
    I have the otterbox but have stopped using it. It is way too bulky for me and the top piece gives the phone a 70's darth vader look. If they would have made it without the raised ridge it would be much more appealing.
    Want to sell it? I want the Otterbox, but the price is too high new.
    09-17-10 10:15 AM
    Want to sell it? I want the Otterbox, but the price is too high new.
    Save your money. The top piece is horribly flimsy and, as a number have reported, pops off at the drop of a hat -- or the drop of a Torch.

Perhaps not all of them are like this, as Altarocks' experience apparently indicates, but some of them certainly are. I got mine for free from a friend, so I use it. But I don't trust it one bit. I can drop it from just a few inches in height on, say, a stack of papers, and the top usually pops right off.
    09-17-10 12:15 PM
    Save your money. The top piece is horribly flimsy and, as a number have reported, pops off at the drop of a hat -- or the drop of a Torch.

Perhaps not all of them are like this, as Altarocks' experience apparently indicates, but some of them certainly are. I got mine for free from a friend, so I use it. But I don't trust it one bit. I can drop it from just a few inches in height on, say, a stack of papers, and the top usually pops right off.
    I've always like the Otterbox for all my berrys, and I NEVER have dropped a phone.
    09-17-10 04:23 PM
    Looking at both products, there's no way you can charge the device on the pod once it's in the OB - right?
    09-17-10 06:42 PM
    i think i might just go with a protective clear case and a holster
    +1 here.
    and you can put the phone ON and OFF stand by.
    and the Torch naked while you use it is the Best possible way to enjoy your Torch
    09-17-10 09:21 PM
    got the otterbox and using the 9000 oem holster. I'm happy with it so far. I want to move the magnet from the middle of the case to the bottom I guess I'll have to look into that.

Overall i'm happy with the otterbox case though. That issue about the top piece being flimsy and falling off hasn't really affected me yet. I'll keep you posted on whether it does.

So far so good though
    09-17-10 09:23 PM
    I've always like the Otterbox for all my berrys, and I NEVER have dropped a phone.
    Why do you need an Otterbox then? I carry my BB in my left pocket w/o anything else (e.g., keys, which I keep in my right pocket), regardless of whether I'm going commando, using the pocket pouch, or using the OB. So the only reason ifor the OB (or the pocket pouch for that matter) is if I drop the BB. Not that it's guaranteed to provide protection, as the guy who posted here yesterday about dropping his OB sheathed Torch and getting a shattered screen will attest.

This isn't like other OBs the same way the Torch isn't like other BBs. It's two separate pieces, the top part of which is flimsy plastic secured to the front of the device only by a dinky plastic tab.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-17-10 09:50 PM
    Looking for some clarification.
    I went to Best Buy tonight to pick up a Bold 9000 clip. I got there just as they were closing accidentally picked up a case with holster instead of just a holster. I do not yet have a torch (I am waiting for it to come in from work) - but wanted to try to get the holster before all the stores sold out.

Please advise....
    Thank you!
    09-17-10 10:08 PM
    The sales guy recommended the Otterbox so I got it when I bought my Torch. The Otterbox comes with black or pink mid-layer. I bought the black one. Otterbox case is "okay". It does its job. The only minor thing I dislike about it would be the little silicone plugs, especially the one that plugs into the charger port. It stopped fitting in snugly since I keep opening it to recharge my phone.

I had a Bold 9700 before my Torch, and I used a holster (with the auto-sleep magnet in it), and loved it because the case covered the front and back side. Protected my Bold without any issues.

Screen Protectors:

The InvisiShield (Zagg? sp?) was a total failure. I bought it and replaced the clear screen protector that came with the Otterbox but it placed so many air bubbles, plus, the shield is not smooth enough (soft, like silicone?) and made it difficult to slide your finger. It would hiccup or select an icon that I wasn't trying to select! The idea of using a liquid spray before placing this sheet worried me greatly too. Used the squeegee and droplets would ooze out of the side. Had to wipe quickly, but it still made me nervous So I ripped that off, and then went to AT & T and purchased the anti-glare/anti-fingerprint screen protector. Now this screen protector, I like! Works wonderfully, the screen is nice and smooth. Even gives you a second sheet, just in case you screw up with the first one
    09-17-10 10:28 PM
    +1 here.
    and you can put the phone ON and OFF stand by.
    and the Torch naked while you use it is the Best possible way to enjoy your Torch
    But will skins suffice protection for the Torch? I heard they don't cover corners or the Bottom bezel?
    09-18-10 12:47 AM
    I'm using the OEM holster w/ a anti-fingerprint screen protector from AT&T. Works fine for me.

09-18-10 02:23 AM
    But will skins suffice protection for the Torch? I heard they don't cover corners or the Bottom bezel?
    skins or silicon cases will not offer any protection from falls of 4 feet or higher. They will only save the phone from scratches but that's about it.
    I try my best to be careful with my phone when using it. It's only vulnerable when it's not in the holster unless a BULLET hits it.

09-18-10 11:56 AM
    Just call Otterbox and let them know that you broke it. They will gladly send you a replacement for the top portion.
    I just got mine from them.
    02-08-11 12:02 AM
    Is there any skin or silicon holster that will still allow it to fit in the normal Blackberry holster? Not looking for Otterbox-esque protection (I haven't dropped a phone), but would still like a firmer grip on the phone as I feel it can be flimsy, especially when sliding up to use the typing keyboard.

Thanks for any help.
    02-08-11 03:12 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD