I got an Otterbox for my Torch a couple weeks ago because people have been raving about them here. All the reviews say its the best case for a BB. Here's my experience. On the Otterbox for the Torch theres a thin top piece that clips onto the slider screen. After about a week that part started to become loose and occasionally pop off. And finally last night, I dropped my phone from about 3' onto the carpet. The ridge part that clips onto the screen some how chipped off. As a result this top piece does not clip onto the screen making the Otterbox for the Torch a $40 piece of useless plastic.

I can't imagine what would happen if I had dropped this phone on a hard surface. For $40 (from an AT&T store) I would think this case would be made sturdy enough to handle a 3' drop onto a soft surface.

I wouldn't recommend this case, even if it cost $20.

Off to search for another case....
    Last edited by islandguy808; 09-10-10 at 01:03 PM.
    09-10-10 01:00 PM
    I noticed how thin the top piece (bezel) really was when I put it on mine. Getting that damn rubber piece into the plastic case was a royal pain too.

You could call or email them and see if they will replace it. It may have been a defective piece. Doesn't hurt to ask.
    09-10-10 01:04 PM
    I noticed how thin the top piece (bezel) really was when I put it on mine. Getting that damn rubber piece into the plastic case was a royal pain too.

You could call or email them and see if they will replace it. It may have been a defective piece. Doesn't hurt to ask.
    I would kind of shoe horn the rubber part at the top with a business card when I needed to put the back part on.
    09-10-10 01:06 PM
    Agreed this is one aggrivating case! my top piece popped off and took a chip of chrome with it>>> i am soooooooooooo PISSED!
    09-10-10 09:51 PM

The screen bezel is definitely thinner than I've had on cases for other phones. But mine doesn't seem as flimsy as the op mentioned. I'd agree that he should try to get them to replace it.

Now. With the rubber piece, there's a trick to getting it on right. First, you need to put the rubber piece on the phone. Next, insert the bottom of the phone in the hardshell. As you're tilting the top of the phone toward the case, fold the earphone jack cover back &, at the right time slide that through the jack opening in the hardshell. Otherwise that side of the case won't seat right. When the top of the phone is fully in the hardshell, there may be a little of the rubber case showing between the two button covers. You can just nudge that back in with your thumbnail. And you're done.
    09-11-10 10:57 AM
    I been reading here that Otterbox's cs are awesome and I probably can get a replacement. What do you think?
    09-11-10 12:48 PM
    The Otterbos for the Torch is crap. I got one gratis, so I'm not someone who is going to try to justify the $40 they spent.

As the OP indicates, the top part is a thin piece of plastic junk far too prone to popping off, and at the worst possible time, such as when you drop it.

Mine has popped off just from sliding the phone shut with too much gusto or from sliding off the front seat of my car into the space next to the passenger door (and when I reached to retrieve it, my hand picked up the popped-off top part first, and my first reaction was "Hello! What's this flimsy piece of plastic junk doing down there?").

It will also pop off just from picking the Torch up on the sides between the thumb and forefinger (which is indeed apparently the way it's supposed to be removed).

One runs a real risk of the Torch doing an extra bounce after the top part has popped off as the resukt of a fall and landing on -- and damaging -- its unprotected face.

These two pieces of plastic are NOT worth $40, even if the bottom one has a rubber lining. Maybe other Otterboxes are worth it, but this one ain't.
    Last edited by JasW; 09-11-10 at 09:34 PM.
    09-11-10 09:32 PM
    I wonder if they put some kind of adhesive on the bezel would help this design. I think they rushed this one into production too soon.

If they replace it for me, I'll just sell it. I'll replace it with some kind of skin. A case like the OEM one is nice looking, but it doesn't protect it once its out of the case.

I know Otterbox makes great stuff, and this was not intended to bash them. Just this product is flawed both in the design and the price.
    09-12-10 06:28 AM
    My suggestion would be to contact them and tell them what happened.
    If you can give them proof of purchase, they'll replace one for you without charge.

I have had Otterbox for every blackberry I owned ( 4 in total ) and their service have been nothing but the best.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-12-10 11:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD