Before I get flamed, I did search, and no one had my question so...

Just got my replacement 9530 yesterday. While at the store I also picked up the Otterbox for my phone. I'm a mechanic, so I thought the screen 'membrane' wuold be a good choice, since while at work I keep the phone in my pocket.

I love the otterbox. I contacted customer service (like everyone suggested) and my new case will be sent out, along with everyone elses. Great customer service blah, blah, blah. Totally satisfied.

But I really don't find the membrane a huge problem for me. Granted, I'm utilizing my accelerometer more, having to turn the phone to portrait waaay more than I had before, but still not enough of annoyance for me as for some people out there.

My question is : Under my factory screen protector there are air bubbles and I'm really loath to push on my screen to force them out. Since I use the otterbox, Do you think I will be okay with removing the factory screen protector? Do you think I should put a screen protector on top of the otterbox memrane? Will that affect the tactile feel of the screen?

On a related note, I have no idea how otterbox made that membrane work. I frequently work while wearing thin nitrile gloves, similar to a doctor, and I find the touch screen will not work while I wear those, yet this membrane works as well as it does? Wierd...
    Last edited by firestarter810; 03-14-09 at 09:02 AM. Reason: spelling nazi
    03-14-09 09:00 AM
    I had a screen protector on my Storm before I got the OtterBox. It worked even with the OtterBox on my phone. I decided to remove it since the OtterBox case protects it quite well and it works even better now that there is only the protection from the case.
    03-14-09 09:43 AM
    I took the screen protector off on my Storm and found that it worked better with the otterbox .
    03-14-09 09:47 AM
    Take it off! Huge improvement!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-09 09:48 AM
    Take this for what its worth - but the screen protector that comes on the otterbox was annoying. It was lifted just slightly from the face of the phone and it was difficult to really push the outer face of the storm. That and it made a sort of noise when I pushed it.

SO... I have Ghost Armor screen protector on there and I'm not really in a situation where I get a lot of dust. I ended up cutting off the plastic on the OtterBox and just using the Ghost Armor. Yeah yeah - it defeats the purpose of the Otterbox concept, but I wasnt worried about stuff getting in, just worried about a drop or something. It worked GREAT.. I loved it.

That and I knew I would be getting a new otterbox when they release the revision.

I ended up removing the otterbox altogether because of the sound issues with it on.

Like I said, for what its worth...
    03-14-09 10:02 AM
    Thanks everyone. I did end up taking the protector off, using only the otterbox membrane.

So no one has put a screen protector ON TOP of the membrane? I just don't want that to get scratched up and then I'm stuck with looking through a garbage screen all the time...
    03-14-09 10:22 AM
    Take this for what its worth - but the screen protector that comes on the otterbox was annoying. It was lifted just slightly from the face of the phone and it was difficult to really push the outer face of the storm. That and it made a sort of noise when I pushed it.

SO... I have Ghost Armor screen protector on there and I'm not really in a situation where I get a lot of dust. I ended up cutting off the plastic on the OtterBox and just using the Ghost Armor. Yeah yeah - it defeats the purpose of the Otterbox concept, but I wasnt worried about stuff getting in, just worried about a drop or something. It worked GREAT.. I loved it.

That and I knew I would be getting a new otterbox when they release the revision.

I ended up removing the otterbox altogether because of the sound issues with it on.

Like I said, for what its worth...
    You have to let the membrane break in before you complain. I couldn't press the space bar in landscape at first, but after a week or so it broke in.

Btw I typed this in landscape on my storm

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-09 10:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD