Well I just received my otterbox and I love it so far. The bulk issue I was concerned about doesn't really bother me at all. My question is dealing with the film/skin included to cover the keys. Now I have a BSE that I havnt used yet and I'm debating. How many of you use the full keyboard cover? Is it a better option just to use BSE and the otterbox? Worst case scenario if keyboard becomes worn it can be replaced right? Sorry I am very OCD with my curve and wanted to hear some feedback

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by godshairpiece; 10-08-08 at 11:07 PM.
    10-08-08 11:04 PM
    I am using the film/skin that comes with the Otterbox. If you go without it, you are really leaving one of the most vulnerable areas open for water, sand, dust, etc. There is the smallest cut out for the trackball, but other than that, it's pretty sealed up. I also like the fact that the ear piece and speaker are protected by that white gauze so water and dust doesn't get in.

The keyboards are plentiful and available for purchase to replace should they get worn, but you'll wear out the clear membrane before the keys.
    10-08-08 11:51 PM
    I for one am glad I use the Otterbox clear membrane. My 8830 was just along for a trip to Zion and Escalante where dust, sand, grit of all kinds were blowing around or just in the tent/car. Also we suffered a major rain storm and I was pretty comfortable with my unit. But in that harsher environment, frankly, I also generally stored my BB in a ziplock baggie when not being used.

The only issue I have is getting/keeping a bubble-free screen when applying/reapplying the clear membrane.
    10-11-08 10:17 AM
    I dumped the clear membrane for an invisible shield for the display. I'm not worried about the keys. The invisible shield looks better on the display, without the membrane. Also, because it covers the camera on the back of the phone, it makes all the pictures come out blurry. You think they would have figured this out by now. Otterbox while making a good product, has some issues as a company. They just refuse to listen to the customer. I have been on and off the phone with them for 2 weeks, trying to get them to realize that there is a batch of 8110/8120/8130 holsters out there, that have the magnet on the wrong side. It is on the outside of the holster, while it needs to be on the inside. The device never sleeps with the screwed up holsters. All they want to do is keep sending us holsters that don't work. What the ****!! Why don't they just listen! (Sorry about the rant!)
    10-13-08 01:07 PM
    All you need to do is take an x-acto knife and cut out the membrane that covers the camera.

You'd just have to be understanding that it then exposes that area to water entering through the lens, should it ever get it. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
    10-14-08 12:01 AM
    All you need to do is take an x-acto knife and cut out the membrane that covers the camera.

You'd just have to be understanding that it then exposes that area to water entering through the lens, should it ever get it. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
    I concur. I did this myself and it is all good now with my pictures and videos. I love my Otterbox. I dropped it last week 20 feet from a deer stand. Picked it up, dusted it off, and it works perfectly still. The best and most durable case out by far IMO.
    10-15-08 06:39 PM
    I use the full membrane on an 8830 to protect what I think is the most exposed area for mist or snow. Been using it 4 months and have dropped it on pavement a couple times. It just bounced and kept on working. I find the extra bulk to be an advantage, easier to hang on to!
    11-04-08 04:27 PM
    The extra bulk isn't my thing, but a couple of my friends have this case and they seem to enjoy the fact that they can repeatedly drop their 8830s and nothing too bad happens.

I would recommend using the clear membrane though. Pretty valuable part of the set up.
    11-06-08 02:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD