04-09-08 05:34 AM
45 12
tools
    Sold out..... Damn....
    03-09-08 10:58 PM
    Sold out..... Damn....

You fall asleep at the wheel? I thought you would be all over it!
    03-09-08 11:26 PM
    OtterBox rocks...

If you are a "suit", in an office, you might want to pass. Just my $0.02.

Dan
    Explain.....?
    03-14-08 02:30 PM
    I am a "suit" and I like the Otterbox just fine. It adds a little bulk to the phone, but it is great protection and a lot easier to hold. Still fits in my "suit" pocket without a problem. You won't regret the purchase.
    03-14-08 04:10 PM
    I am a "suit" fella too. And I really like the OtterBox. I have it in all black. One of the best protection cases on the market.
    03-14-08 06:12 PM
    is that little silver oval between the flash and camera really a vanity mirror? does it have a purpose?
    03-14-08 06:29 PM
    I'll wait for them to come out on Amazon for $10.
    03-14-08 07:57 PM
    I'll wait for them to come out on Amazon for $10.
    Though I wish something like that would happen, you have a better chance of winning the lotter not playing then Amazon selling the OtterBox for $10.00!
    You can find some coupons to knock a couple bucks off, nothing big tho.
    03-14-08 08:02 PM
    Lol....that pic was funny!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

03-14-08 11:26 PM
    my ob puts the phone into lock but does not put it into sleep mode. I understand that some people are adding magnets to the case?? so where do I place the additional magnets??
    04-07-08 08:48 PM
    I'm curious about the comments by Ong-gia above to the effect "The camera, keys, flash and everything else is covered by the membrane and still work great." ... if the camera lens is covered by a membrane, doesn't that affect the photo quality a bit? Anybody know?
    04-07-08 09:30 PM
    I'm curious about the comments by Ong-gia above to the effect "The camera, keys, flash and everything else is covered by the membrane and still work great." ... if the camera lens is covered by a membrane, doesn't that affect the photo quality a bit? Anybody know?
    I'm not sure. I am not really impressed with the camera on the pearl anyway, to be honest, so even though I use it a lot for work and snapshots I don't expect much. I really wish there was a lens cover built into the pearl. My fricken w800i from years ago has a better camera and a lens cover.

My point is, yes, it probably does affect the quality a little, though not much, but for my situation it is worth the pay off of not having the actual lens covered in dust and being able to wipe the lens area clean without fear of scratching the lens itself. I did read about someone cutting a hole in the membrane for their lens because they noticed a difference in pic quality, and I think it would be easy to do.

I wonder if the otterbox itself could have been made with a lens cover?

Eli
    04-07-08 10:34 PM
    Yeah, I wonder why someone at RIM didn't think that cameras these days come with lens covers ... how hard would it be to fix that? I also agree that the 8130s photo quality is less than impressive, and I'll be fine with a "dust cover" membrane ... thanks!
    04-08-08 12:25 AM
    my ob puts the phone into lock but does not put it into sleep mode. I understand that some people are adding magnets to the case?? so where do I place the additional magnets??
    i just got my otterbox today and it goes into sleep mode just fine. To test it out, instead of putting it in the holster, i put the back of the phone against the magnet (on the holster) and it goes to sleep. I take the phone away from the magnet, and it "wakes up"... works perfectly fine.
    04-08-08 12:50 AM
    Yeah, I wonder why someone at RIM didn't think that cameras these days come with lens covers ... how hard would it be to fix that? I also agree that the 8130s photo quality is less than impressive, and I'll be fine with a "dust cover" membrane ... thanks!
    A cover would be nice, but it may also add bulk. The Pearl is pretty thin for having so much packed inside. As a lens cover would be mechanical (not merely a transistor or piece of software) it would probably add at least 0.5 - 1.0mm of width, especially as it would need to slide to the side. That would necessitate either a hump in that area, or a case-wide thickening.

As it is though, the existing camera is recessed somewhat, being protected by the ring on the battery cover, so at least it's not right on the surface where it will get scratched up easily.
    04-08-08 07:40 AM
    Boomer, that pic is priceless!

(sorry never seen it)

04-08-08 08:54 AM
    Now in Stock @ ShopCrackBerry.com

04-08-08 09:02 AM
    I love those things. It reminds me of the old Nextel i700plus handsets that I used to use/abuse. I had been waiting for the otterbox and about a week ago I finally broke down and just bought the Seidio hybrid case (black on the back and clear in front). I just couldn't risk having my phone unprotected at work. (I'm a firefighter)

I love my Seidio but now I wish I had waited a little longer so I could have gotten my otterbox! Now I have to justify to my wife why I need another accessory for my new pearl!!
    Are you interested in selling the Seidio case?

Let me know...

Dm
    04-08-08 12:24 PM
    A cover would be nice, but it may also add bulk. The Pearl is pretty thin for having so much packed inside. As a lens cover would be mechanical (not merely a transistor or piece of software) it would probably add at least 0.5 - 1.0mm of width, especially as it would need to slide to the side. That would necessitate either a hump in that area, or a case-wide thickening.

As it is though, the existing camera is recessed somewhat, being protected by the ring on the battery cover, so at least it's not right on the surface where it will get scratched up easily.
    My old w800i sony has a lens cover. It is a slide mechanism with no bump in the case. If they did design a case wide thickening of the entire phone it couldn't have made much difference in the feel, weight or looks of the phone. It just seems like a good idea to protect the lens, like most cameras have been doing for decades if the multi-use devices are really trying to get good enough to actually be multi-use, not just have cameras as gimmicks. Even if they put a clear plastic cover on the battery door--an easily replaceable part if it gets scratched--I'd be more impressed.

Since this is an otterbox thread, I'll put it to them too. Seems like it would be a good idea to have one of those flap covers like over the usb port if a mechanical cover would be too difficult to integrate.

I guess everybody has their needs--I need a decent, protected camera more than a millimeter extra pocket space. Having to carry a second camera is not convenient.

Eli
    Last edited by ong-gia; 04-09-08 at 03:11 AM.
    04-09-08 03:06 AM
    ooooh, i'm a huge fan!
    04-09-08 05:34 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD