I hope to order a 9900 next week and need a case. I like the Noreve as it is soft leather and has a flip front cover to protect the screen and keys, but I worry the gaps for ports on the side will allow scratches on the silver bezel.

I like the thought of the Otterbox Commuter (I have the defender on my Playbook) but worry it leaves the screen (albeit with a screen protector) and keys exposed.

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions. Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-01-11 04:59 PM
    I rock a Otterbox Commuter and and 9000 Holster. No issues.
    10-01-11 05:15 PM
    i rock a commuter also and i have no issues with the keyboard getting damaged...the otterbox shell, leaves the phone elevated when placed screen down..so the keyboard and screen never actually touch the surface.
    10-01-11 05:23 PM
    I am using the otterbox personally. Best case I have ever had. The case adds a nice texture to the back of the phone. I have dropped it once and no damage. Choose wisely.
    10-01-11 05:41 PM
    Otterbox and 9000 holster would work, especially as I am upgrading from a 9000 so I already have a holster.

Has anyone got a Melkco case? They seem to be like Noreve but protect the sides better.
    10-01-11 05:50 PM
    I also use a otterbox commuter. Takes care of the phone well but I don't use a holster, just a screen protector.
    10-01-11 06:27 PM
    I use The Otterbox Commuter...the first (rubber) cover gives a raised edge around my 9930...even though I LOVE my case and would never go "naked" again...speeking for myself, my 9930 is SOLID!!!...I ALSO use an old (8703e) pouch to carry it around

10-01-11 06:47 PM
    Commuter here, without the screen protector. After reading the post about a member trying to scratch the glass with a pair of wirecutters and failing, I figured its the last thing we need on our beatiful touch screens. And the commuter has a nicely raised lip that allows you to lay it face down without the screen or the keys ever touching. By your description I personally would get annoyed with the flap!

Last edited by albee 1; 10-01-11 at 07:22 PM.
    10-01-11 07:18 PM
    I purchased a leather flip Noreve case for my Curve 2.5 years ago and it was worth every dime.

I am sure that I dropped my phone in almost every parking lot in my state and yet the phone still looks as good as it did the day it was purchased, even without a screen protector. In addition, I never had any isses with damage to the sides of the device or ports. Even the black case still looks good.

I am not sure if you are male or female, but as a "girly-girl," I loved my Noveve case and visited the site just today to look at available options for my new Bold 9930.

Good luck!!
    10-02-11 04:41 PM
    So I bought the Otterbox Commuter for my wife and a Piel Frama for me. It's expensive but looks high quality. The flip hinge is at the top which I prefer compared with the Noreve which hinges at the bottom.
    10-02-11 06:35 PM
    I use the bb pouch and I also use otterbox commuter best case I ever use for bb.

10-02-11 08:05 PM
    Otterbox and 9000 holster would work, especially as I am upgrading from a 9000 so I already have a holster.

Has anyone got a Melkco case? They seem to be like Noreve but protect the sides better.
    The 9900 won't fit in the BB holster with an original BB case, leave alone an Otterbox Commuter. I use the Commuter and I love it.

It has all the protection needed for the phone against dropping on any flat /hard/abrasive surface. Unless the face hits an obstacle or a rock in its way down, it will prevent damage to both the keyboard as well as the rest of the body.

The only issue is - if you want to use the charging dock, R&R of the case is a big pain in the ***...and while I do it every night, I hate having to remove and re-install the case.
    10-02-11 08:19 PM
    For all those with the commuter can you answer one question for me. How does the phone feel in your pocket with the case is it bulky how would it fit in the pocket of slim/fitted jeans? I have never used a case/skin on any of my previous phones, but I'm interested.
    10-02-11 08:24 PM
    Commuter here, without the screen protector. After reading the post about a member trying to scratch the glass with a pair of wirecutters and failing, I figured its the last thing we need on our beatiful touch screens. And the commuter has a nicely raised lip that allows you to lay it face down without the screen or the keys ever touching. By your description I personally would get annoyed with the flap!

Don't believe everything you read here about the screen being impervious to damage. Give me a key and your BB and I guarantee I'll have deep scratches on it in 2 seconds or less. Better yet - if you're so confident, why not take a key and test for yourself? I'd bet a lot of money you scratch it with ease!

...and while you're at it, please make a video of yourself doing this - and post it on YouTube so we can see it scratch. Think of how much all of us would appreciate you being the donor by using your BB to disprove the guy who works in the Rogers store that claimed he was unable to scratch the LCD!
    10-02-11 08:29 PM
    For all those with the commuter can you answer one question for me. How does the phone feel in your pocket with the case is it bulky how would it fit in the pocket of slim/fitted jeans? I have never used a case/skin on any of my previous phones, but I'm interested.
    The 9930 commuter is very thin compared to other models. I keep mine in my pocket all the time and it is not bulky at all. Great case!

10-02-11 08:41 PM
    Lol that case is over kill I tried to put my phone in it at staples and was upset at the appearance. 10 inches of plastic? Lol you could throw it againts a wall in that thing. Just keep it in the leather pouch, cases are useless.

10-02-11 08:45 PM
    So my two cases have arrived (Otterbox Commuter and Piel Frama) but I am still waiting for the two 9900's. I have 14 days to return the Piel Frama case and it was very expensive (55 compared with 18 on Amazon for Commuter).

Someone in this thread said the flip cover would annoy them, and I am starting to think that way. I generally have my phone lying around out of its case.

My only concern about the Otterbox is having the front exposed when it's in my pocket (I will use a screen protector but the keys and trackpad are exposed.)

Can anyone using just the commuter tell me their experience? Am I wrong to worry? Thanks
    Last edited by Pilchard; 10-05-11 at 09:43 AM. Reason: typo
    10-05-11 08:05 AM
    So my two cases have arrived (Otterbox Commuter and Piel Frama) but I am still waiting for the two 9900's. I have 14 days to return the Piel Frama case and it was very expensive (55 compared with 18 on Amazon for Commuter).

Someone in this thread said the flip cover would annoy them, and I am starting to think that way. I generally have my phone lying around out of its case.

My only concern about the Otterbox is having the front exposed when it's in my pocket (I will use a screen protector but the keys and trackpad are exposed.)

Can anyone using just the commuter tell me their experience? Am I wrong to worry? Thanks
    Your not wrong to worry...just be sure your pockets are empty...I'm in a wheel chair and put my Bold (Otterbox Cummuter cased) in my front pocket with the screen locked and turned towards ME...the great debate on the screens scratchability aside its ALWAYS best to ere on the side of caution

Pilchard likes this.
    10-05-11 11:03 AM
    Would the neoprene case slide over the commuter case?
    10-12-11 03:49 AM
    So I bought the Otterbox Commuter for my wife and a Piel Frama for me. It's expensive but looks high quality. The flip hinge is at the top which I prefer compared with the Noreve which hinges at the bottom.
    I have the Noreve case form my Bold 9000. I love the flip open hinge at the top. The hinge however is mid way down the back and that way when flipped open it does not block the camera lens or flash. Also the flap doubles as a nice kick stand so the phone can sit upright on a desk.

The Piel Frama case for the Bold 9900 has the hinge at the top and when flipped open will it not block the camera lens and flash?

Last edited by CigarDad; 10-23-11 at 10:14 PM.
    10-23-11 10:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD